Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BS griddle cleaning

Options
What is the best way to clean the griddle after each use?  I tried paper towels but all the grime won't come off.  Does the griddle need to be warm?
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    Like @Hntnhrd said, right after I take the food off I scrape it down, take a squeeze bottle of water and squirt it on the hot griddle while scraping any stuck bits. This steam cleans the griddle top. I'll wipe it again with paper towels/water turn the gas off and then rub a lite coat of lard on it. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    What they said.... works like a charm and only takes a couple minutes 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Go watch how they clean hibachi grills and follow suit. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Go watch how they clean hibachi grills and follow suit. 
    Isn't the typical hybachi grill stainless? 
    Snellville, GA

• ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, worked like a charm.  Still need on the smashing part though
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Y'all clean those things?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    All I do is scrape with a sharp tepanyaki scraper, season with a paper towel soaked in a little bit of leftover grease from the trough.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Chefjohn55
    Chefjohn55 Posts: 4
    Options
    Treat it ;ile a cast iron pan/griddle.   Seasoning it with fax seed oil as outlined on Cook's Illustrated will provide a durable non-stick finish.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    No offense to anyone but I found from many trips to Tokyo Benihana that the water works much better when you fill a 1.75L plastic vodka bottle with water and use that to clean it.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Treat it ;ile a cast iron pan/griddle.   Seasoning it with fax seed oil as outlined on Cook's Illustrated will provide a durable non-stick finish.

Welcome @Chefjohn55.  I hate to disagree with your second post, but I'd advise anyone considering flaxseed oil to do their research first.  Imo, it is the worst possible oil to use to treat a cooking surface.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    blasting said:

Welcome @Chefjohn55.  I hate to disagree with your second post, but I'd advise anyone considering flaxseed oil to do their research first.  Imo, it is the worst possible oil to use to treat a cooking surface.
    @blasting - I agree with you in spite of what CI posted. 3 times I used flaxseed oil in very careful warming, coating and baking the oil cycles on an $80 carbon steel skillet. Of the 3 efforts 1 consisted of 8 series and 2 were each 10 series. In between the failed results I stripped the skillet clean. The appearance after all 3 were beautiful and glass smooth to the touch. However all 3 were disappointments and the seasoning peeled off in major failures! I have since thrown that skillet to a metal recycler so it has been repurposed as a fence somewhere holding some cows in a pasture! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A flat top scraper for the crud, followed by water and a towel.  Finish with a little canola or vegetable oil.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    BTW - as for seasoning my Blackstone I obviously wasn't going to try flaxseed again - but instead took the advice of @fishlessman. I went to Aldi and bought the cheapest bacon with the largest amount of fat in the package window. I then heated and treated the Blackstone 3 times only using 3 slices each time. Now already after 2 green 1# gas bomb canisters I have yet had to re-season it and merely scrape it clean and wipe with a paper towel. It just keeps getting blacker, slicker and prettier! My opinion: Fat bacon WINNER - flaxseed LOSER.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Shop towels are lint free and I prefer them to kitchen paper towels. I concur with seasoning with bacon cooks(and just using it!). Then scraper and a bit of water while hot to clean. I use a small spray bottle of grapeseed oil to wipe the top after cleaning to help protect the seasoning.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Try avocado oil. It has a higher smoke point and is working rather well. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.