Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a good short smoke item?

Options
Sometimes around late morning I realize I have the day free and want to smoke something for dinner....
...but then I do the math of running to the store, firing up the egg, prep, smoke, and realize I won't make it in time for dinner.

Do you have any go-to "slow" cooked items on the egg that you can do in 3-4 hours?   (Turbo recipes excluded, sorry ;) )

To be clear, there are plenty of things I know I can grill/roast in that time... steaks, chicken, fish, etc.  But I'm talking BBQ, I guess.  I dunno, what's your go-to in this situation? 

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ribs. bump the temp to 300 and you'll be done @ 3-3.5 hrs
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    Just did Meatloaf Sunday and it was fantastic.  Pork chops too.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Agree on the turbo ribs.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    chicken legs or thighs are my goto quick and fast smoke. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Smoke a pork loin to 140. Good eats.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited March 2017
    Options
    st louis barbecued pork steaks cut from a shoulder, have not made them but have eaten them

smoked block of cream cheese and crackers ;) chili, mine take longer b could squeeze it in.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    If I had to smoke something quick for dinner, it probably would not be food =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I don't even know if this counts but I've done brauts with a little apple or peach wood and side it with sautéed onions and peppers and baked beans and add a dab of new sauce. I slice the braughts and combine everything together in bowl. It doesn't look the best but tastes delicious!
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    I don't even know if this counts but I've done brauts with a little apple or peach wood and side it with sautéed onions and peppers and baked beans and add a dab of new sauce. I slice the braughts and combine everything together in bowl. It doesn't look the best but tastes delicious!
    Not new sauce.... Bbq sauce
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    That SGH appetizer is pretty simple and quick to throw together on short notice.  Sh!ts great too

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190411/the-best-appetizer-that-you-will-ever-eat/p1
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My favorite short notice smoke is meatloaf.  Hard to beat in my books.

Phoenix 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I did a rump roast / silverside at the weekend, 275 F raised direct with smoke. Depends how well done you want it, but easy inside 3 hours and tasty.
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    I would say Ribs. 275 for about 4 hours. My second would be a pork tenderloin.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

Some nice thick reverse seared ribeye's? Brats are always good, the only way we eat them anymore is smoked.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Salmon filet. Bake indirect with very low heat with pecan chunks added to the lump. After 30 minutes on the smoke Paint with BBQ sauce and jack up the heat to finish the cook. You are welcome. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can always cut up a pork butt into smaller pieces before smoking.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    For me baby backs seem to take significantly less time - maybe more like 2-1-1 or 2-1.5-1
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    This right here. Country style "ribs" from the butt are great and a quick cook. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Babyback's, chicken leg quarters and meatloaf.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This right here. Country style "ribs" from the butt are great and a quick cook. 
    And then make them into burnt ends
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    blasting said:

Temp and time?  Don't need the recipe, just wondering if it is a low heat cook/smoke or a 350 bake.  Thanks!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Interesting.  I've never tried that.   You cut it into what, fist sized chunks?  Does it stay tender?  I would think it'd dry out.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I have not bought pork shoulder steaks in a long time but always see them in the store.   Hadn't thought of slow cooking them, but that is worth trying.

Again, I'm looking for a cook that is low and slow if possible... smoked, bbq flavor...but in shorter time and hopefully a bit of a "set it and forget it" cook so I can be doing yardwork or playing with the kids during the process.

Brats are a good idea.  Forgot about those also, but they are an easy slow quick yummy delight.

Thanks for the ideas!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I have not bought pork shoulder steaks in a long time but always see them in the store.   Hadn't thought of slow cooking them, but that is worth trying.

Again, I'm looking for a cook that is low and slow if possible... smoked, bbq flavor...but in shorter time and hopefully a bit of a "set it and forget it" cook so I can be doing yardwork or playing with the kids during the process.

Brats are a good idea.  Forgot about those also, but they are an easy slow quick yummy delight.

Thanks for the ideas!
    the shoulder steaks ive had were seared, then smoked a few hours low and slow with sauce and beer in a pan, then seared again for a heavier burnt end flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Interesting.  I've never tried that.   You cut it into what, fist sized chunks?  Does it stay tender?  I would think it'd dry out.
    It will stay tender because you are cooking to the same internal temp/tenderness - just have to not over cook it.  Of course all the timing estimates we know have to be ignored. Ratio of bark will change because you have much more surface area.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    smoke hamburgers for 1-2 hrs over 250 heat, dependimg on thickness...and be a god.    Awesome result every time...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    blasting said:

Temp and time?  Don't need the recipe, just wondering if it is a low heat cook/smoke or a 350 bake.  Thanks!

I shoot for 250-260.  Sauced around 125, and pull when the remote probe beeps at 157.  Time... I don't really time my cooks, but probably a little more than 2 hours.

Phoenix 
  • lbbf
    lbbf Posts: 33
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken. Add a little olive oil on the outside and your favorite rub. Mix a little olive oil and the rub and use your fingers to spread it around under the skin. Toss in 2 or 3 pieces of smoking wood and in a hour you should be eating.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    st louis barbecued pork steaks cut from a shoulder, have not made them but have eaten them

smoked block of cream cheese and crackers ;) chili, mine take longer b could squeeze it in.
    I second the cream cheese suggestion (as an app). Coat the block in your fave rub and smoke for an hour or so. Delicious and incredibly simple.