Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I'm becoming an Aldi's Junky

Options

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure selection changes all the time as well as different parts of the country.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Great prices on K-cCups which is our main reason for going there. My wife also buys bagels and veggies from them along with other stuff. I've bought several spices/rubs.

FYI - Aldi is a sister store to Trader Joe's. The parent company was started by two brothers who had a falling out and split the company into Aldi North (Trader Joe's) and Aldi South (Aldi).
    Didn't realize this! I was about to state that TJ is a California-based company and Aldi is German, but looking it up, it appears that the brothers split Aldi in the 60s or 70s into Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. Trader Joe's was bought by the brother that owned/ran Aldi Nord in the late 70s. It is a subsidiary of Aldi Nord and the only one in the U.S., whereas Aldi stores in the U.S. are Aldi Sud, a wholly separate company from TJ/Aldi Nord. 
    Yep. Supposedly they split over whether or not to sell cigarettes. The Aldi stores are quite popular in Germany and other European countries.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,304
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My wife and I are regular Aldi shoppers, especially for staple goods. 

One thing we've noticed is the inventory always shifts. If you see a seasonal item there you want, buy it. It might be a while, if ever, before it returns to the shelf. 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Took a gamble today on some frozen "pink salmon". US caught, wild salmon, but processed and packaged in China. 1 lb,, individually wrapped servings (assuming 4 oz ea, but I haven't opened the package yet) for $3.79!! Might be garbage, but for the price, I HAD to buy it.
    Folks, it is not garbage!! All the pieces are pretty thin, but that just means it cooks more quickly. =) Had some last night and it was delicious!! They say you should eat fish a couple of times a week, especially the Omega 3 ones. I wonder if 7 times is too much. Or 21.

There were 5 individual pieces in the package, 3.5-4 oz each. A little small for some, though it shouldn't be. It was fine for me. I make a creamy sauce that I like for salmon; made with avocado, lime juice, Greek yogurt, cilantro and a few other things. I mixed up the sauce, cooked the salmon in a screaming hot carbon steel skillet and also sautéed some asparagus. A little lemon juice and a dollop of the avocado sauce on the fish... heaven! If you already have the avocado sauce made, or just use a squeeze of lemon (also delicious), you can have a meal on the table in 10 minutes! Can't beat that!

I wish I had taken a pic, but I guess it didn't happen.

I wonder if there's such a thing as too much salmon. I hope ALDI keeps this in stock!
    Image result for aldi pink salmon

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Took a gamble today on some frozen "pink salmon". US caught, wild salmon, but processed and packaged in China. 1 lb,, individually wrapped servings (assuming 4 oz ea, but I haven't opened the package yet) for $3.79!! Might be garbage, but for the price, I HAD to buy it.
    Folks, it is not garbage!! All the pieces are pretty thin, but that just means it cooks more quickly. =) Had some last night and it was delicious!! They say you should eat fish a couple of times a week, especially the Omega 3 ones. I wonder if 7 times is too much. Or 21.

There were 5 individual pieces in the package, 3.5-4 oz each. A little small for some, though it shouldn't be. It was fine for me. I make a creamy sauce that I like for salmon; made with avocado, lime juice, Greek yogurt, cilantro and a few other things. I mixed up the sauce, cooked the salmon in a screaming hot carbon steel skillet and also sautéed some asparagus. A little lemon juice and a dollop of the avocado sauce on the fish... heaven! If you already have the avocado sauce made, or just use a squeeze of lemon (also delicious), you can have a meal on the table in 10 minutes! Can't beat that!

I wonder if there's such a thing as too much salmon. I hope ALDI keeps this in stock!
    It's a regular item here.  The tapered pieces are perfect for steaming.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    @Focker, try the sauce...

http://circle-b-kitchen.squarespace.com/food-and-recipes/2014/1/11/creamy-avocado-cilantro-dressing.html

Recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp salt. I use just 1/2 and love it. Sometimes I throw a jalapeño into the blender too, good either way.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    @Focker, try the sauce...

http://circle-b-kitchen.squarespace.com/food-and-recipes/2014/1/11/creamy-avocado-cilantro-dressing.html

Recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp salt. I use just 1/2 and love it. Sometimes I throw a jalapeño into the blender too, good either way.

I will bud, thanks for the link.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options

Read up on mercury in fish. Salmon is generally a fish with lower levels of mercury but not zero levels of mercury.

21 servings per week might be a few too many. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,988
    Options
    went for pickles and then the impulse buy, shaved steak, manchego cheese, salsa, and a dry tomato wrap.  should have picked up some sour cream.  spiced up the beef in a wok then fried the whole thing in the skillet =) lousy picks, wish the clocks were turned forward 3 hours

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Read up on mercury in fish. Salmon is generally a fish with lower levels of mercury but not zero levels of mercury.

I think I developed an immunity. Used to play with mercury when I was a kid. Dad had a small amount in the garage, no idea why. Loved to chase little silver balls of it around the garage floor. I was 8. =)

Image result for mercury element

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,988
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I think I developed an immunity. Used to play with mercury when I was a kid. Dad had a small amount in the garage, no idea why. Loved to chase little silver balls of it around the garage floor. I was 8. =)

i used to keep mine in a sucrets tin box
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

As long as you didn't suck them up with a straw you'd be fine. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    edited March 2017
    Options
    hope mike didn't get his sucrets tins mixed up then! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Is he preggers???  :)
    https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My wife shops there a lot.  Canned goods, chips/pretzels, and gets some veggies there.  I'll have to take a look at the meat selection next time.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• HeavyG
    Options
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/
    I know when I want medical advice I always consult acupuncturist Chris Kesser!

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Can I borrow a quarter from someone?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

Not me! I go to the resident know it all, but offers nothing forum guy : @HeavyG

lol. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,123
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Can I borrow a quarter from someone?
    I just might know someone:
    https://youtu.be/29ebiwO4O70
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

Not me! I go to the resident know it all, but offers nothing forum guy : @HeavyG

lol. 
    LOL, you beat me to it.  

I don't always seek medical advice.
    But when I do, it's from a bbq forum know-it-all, who knows nothing.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    Options
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

lol. 
    LOL, you beat me to it.  

Oh...you two guys... :)

So if one relies on an acupuncturist for medical/dietary advice should one seek investment advice from their auto mechanic?

Asking for a friend.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:

lol. 
    LOL, you beat me to it.  

Oh...you two guys... :)

So if one relies on an acupuncturist for medical/dietary advice should one seek investment advice from their auto mechanic?

Asking for a friend.

Only if he happens to be correct. But you could ignore the germane information and denigrate his pedigree. Nah, that would be a douche bag approach. 

Nevermind. 
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Meat is good just bought corned beef brisket and chicken breast there last week, both are winners ! I was disappointed when they did not honor a coupon last week for $10 off on a $40 purchAse at "metro Atlanta " stores, still waiting for Aldi to tell me exactly what that is, since it was in my copy of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. . We have both Forsythiia bushes, hydrangeas all growing well ! 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Actually took a pic tonight. Not a very good pic, but...

Salmon with lemon and avocado sauce, roasted garlic potatoes with butter and peas with shallots and lemon. Delicious salmon for under $4 a pound! I could eat this every night!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    $6.21 for this little, yet meaty, 3lb rack of precut St Louee spares that I had to take home with me.  
    Early morning cherry smoke sesh.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Canned meat products (chili, etc) have plant codes visible on the can. I have seen private label versions of chili at Aldi with the plant code of a top chili brand. So while it is probably a little different recipe and ingredient mix, it comes from the same place respective to quality / safety.  Across the food world, production facilities let private labels buy product runs to keep production capacities and ingredient yields high.   So that is what TJ and Aldi do. You can't guarantee availability but you can offer quality and price. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Focker said:
    Forgot to mention another fam favorite, their 16" take and bake Pepperonis for $5.99.

They don't skimp on the sliced and diced pepperoni, and here I grated a half block of their $1 something sharp cheddar, cracked white pepper, and you've got a pie that will feed a 40, 10, 9, and 6 yr old.  This pie is a little reminiscent of the diced pepperoni pan pizzas we used to pound as kids from the Schwann man.  :)

15-20 min on the Gris 16" griddle at 420......feed an army of growin boys fire...

Schwan's pizza is exactly what Aldi's pizza reminds me of.  It ain't gourmet pie, but the family likes it.  And it's ready in a jiffy.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Forgot to mention another fam favorite, their 16" take and bake Pepperonis for $5.99.

They don't skimp on the sliced and diced pepperoni, and here I grated a half block of their $1 something sharp cheddar, cracked white pepper, and you've got a pie that will feed a 40, 10, 9, and 6 yr old.  This pie is a little reminiscent of the diced pepperoni pan pizzas we used to pound as kids from the Schwann man.  :)

15-20 min on the Gris 16" griddle at 420......feed an army of growin boys fire...

Schwan's pizza is exactly what Aldi's pizza reminds me of.  It ain't gourmet pie, but the family likes it.  And it's ready in a jiffy.  
    I'm with ya Freddy, pound for pound, it can fill many pieholes, fast.  

Sadly, this is the only pie I put on the egg anymore, besides Kenji's pan pizza.

Haven't tried one on the Blackstone with the longer bake, but may try dialing it back for a rip.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Cheap and easy on Sunday morning...

Brandon
    Quad Cities