Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you were alive in the 1790's

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
What party would you belong to? Would you be a Federalist or a Democratic Republican?

http://us-political-parties.insidegov.com/compare/7-8/Democratic-Republican-Party-vs-Federalist-Party
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I'm reading the Hamilton biography right now. I'll let you know in a few days!  ;)

But then, I guess I have to read a Jefferson biography next.

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I doubt that I'd have been allowed to vote, since only about 12% were eligible. But the question was decided in 1792. Depending on the source, it decided by .05 of the population or .003 of near 4 million.

Nice hypothetical philosophical question.

Much easier to figure what temp  to take butt for PP.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Based on my family background, I seriously doubt we would have ben property owners, so no voting for me either.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Hans61
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I doubt that I'd have been allowed to vote, since only about 12% were eligible. But the question was decided in 1792. Depending on the source, it decided by .05 of the population or .003 of near 4 million.

Nice hypothetical philosophical question.

Much easier to figure what temp  to take butt for PP.
    OhioEgger said:
    Based on my family background, I seriously doubt we would have ben property owners, so no voting for me either.
    That's a dodge :-) appreciate the comments though. For everyone else, as much as so many here like to discuss politics I'm surprised there aren't more comments. I understand these defunct factions don't fit nicely into what we have today; and that's exactly why I thought it would be interesting/fun to consider. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Based on the information you provided, I lean towards Jefferson but can see benefits of some Federalist ideas. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Jefferson
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Jefferson
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Jefferson for sure! The Federalist, Hamilton style government, it appears to me was what we rebelled against in the first place.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    We were property owners though more often small average farmers so the Scottish ancestors could vote. Strangely enough the Choctaw Indian ancestors, who were far wealthier, wouldn't have been able to vote. I don't know about the French and Irish ancestors.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    No, its not a dodge.  The question is mostly meaningless to me. If my point of view then could not have been counted to either side, why should I think it does now? The precedent is set, and I have more pressing matters.

I find the original question is overly simplified. On this side this. On that side that. And historically, if either side had not co-operated w. the other, they would both have been hung.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My dads family came from Scotland. They were blue bloods and loyal to the crown. Fled to Canada when the revolution ramped up. Personally I lean towards Jeffersonian democracy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My dads family came from Scotland. They were blue bloods and loyal to the crown. Fled to Canada when the revolution ramped up. Personally I lean towards Jeffersonian democracy. 
    Similar perspective, great-great-great grandfather couldn't make the choice so he become United Empire Loyalist and settled in Markham Ontario. I think based on the family history, we were died in the wool Tories, so I guess the equivalent of Republicans.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Isn't the more interesting question 70 years later: Union or Confederate?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Isn't the more interesting question 70 years later: Union or Confederate?

Aside from slavery I would most definitely be a Confederate. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Jefferson
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    The 1970's was when they diagnosed my dyslexia. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    gmac said:
    The 1970's was when they diagnosed my dyslexia. 
    The 1970's is also when the "60's" ended. Most say 1972.
  • Hans61
    Options
    I think if I was living at that time would've been concerned about solidifying the country since it was brand new, so I probably wouldve been a federalist at first, then, I probably would've shifted to republican democrat as time passed and other concerns became more acute.

@gdenby - fair enough. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm so old I barely remember them days.