Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A flawless disappointment turns into a save

Options
Picked up a Pork Shoulder just before Christmas with the intention of making pulled pork and a stew.  Well yesterday was cooking day.

When I thawed it and unwrapped it I noticed it was 'smoked', then I noticed it had been enhanced.  Hmmmm well let's give this a go anyway.

Seasoned and waiting to go.

First run using Rockwood.  Cant say it was any different.

Ran on egg for ~3 hours at 350 and then pulled and put into Dutch oven and in the house oven at 275 while we went to see Rogue One. Wife didn't want the egg running unattended while we were gone.  Came home and the shoulder was right on time, let it set and it pulled apart like butter.

However-
That enhanced should is very salty for my taste.. Thankfully I the wife made some black eyed peas and I also made a loaf of bread so it was still very good.

However... II
The real reason we did all this was to make a copy of the Roaring Fork Green Chili Pork Stew.  if you've never had its incredible.
And I might say that this is a damn good knock off version of it.

Going to let it sit for a while and then it's what's for dinner

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccr/roaring-fork-green-chile-pork.html

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,852
    Options
    That looks and sounds outstanding.  Coincidentally, my daughter (home from college) made us some green chile pork chili/stew last evening.  It was great.  I just polished off the leftovers for tonight's dinner. 

Enjoy.  And thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    That sounds SO delicious!

So how long did you simmer the stew after you added the recipe ingredients, as the pork is already cooked?

Here in Southern California I've never seen dried green NM chiles for sale. I guess you can get them in Texas. Would dried red chiles like pasilla or ancho work?
    Judy in San Diego
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    That sounds SO delicious!

So how long did you simmer the stew after you added the recipe ingredients, as the pork is already cooked?

Here in Southern California I've never seen dried green NM chiles for sale. I guess you can get them in Texas. Would dried red chiles like pasilla or ancho work?
     Mrs took over after I pulled the pork.

We let it sit overnight in the CI DO in the fridge.
    She pulled out the pork but left some of the fat to saute everything
    Since we didnt need to cook the pork we left most of it to cook on its own before then.
    In the end we left the pork in it about 4 hours on very low temp.

The best way to eat it is hot with warm tortillas making into a taco.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Since we didn't need to cook the pork we left most of it to cook on its own before then." Did you cook it even more before adding things to the fat in the DO?
    Judy in San Diego
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Since we didn't need to cook the pork we left most of it to cook on its own before then." Did you cook it even more before adding things to the fat in the DO?

The recipe called for searing the pork in the pan.  Since it was already cooked on the egg and turned into pulled pork we just added it at the end after everything else was cooked.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That Chili Pork looks good. What's the heat level like?
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So that is actually a ham, not a shoulder. Was it already cured or just smoked? I do love the green chili pork at Roaring Fork. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,511
    Options
    I make green chile stew often (I don't use jalapenos, and love a few potatoes diced in) but I've never heard of "dried New Mexico green chiles".  Once ripened green chile turns red and those are dried, but green are normally roasted and peeled fresh.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• xfire_ATX
    Options
    So that is actually a ham, not a shoulder. Was it already cured or just smoked? I do love the green chili pork at Roaring Fork. 
    I know the package said 'Shoulder' but I found it odd to be smoked and enhanced.  Lesson learned to be more careful with what I pick up.  It's about time to make another one anyway as all we froze from that cook is now gone- never got less salty either... Blech.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's not what you do as much as how you sell it.  Perception is reality. Nice save.