Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Know anyone with NPD? I hear it's dangerous.

Options
Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No.  Just self-indulgent *$$hole.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder
    That's some mighty long words there my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What's the DSM V code for that?  I heard something about NPD on NPR today.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    self-indulgent 
    That's a mighty long word there brother Husker. That hippy is starting to rub off on you ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    The electoral college made it official. Let the tears flow.
    Did anyone see that Wisconsin woman go ape feces?
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/12/19/woman_snaps_after_ohio_certifies_electoral_college_votes_for_trump_this_is_my_america.html
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    F60.81
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    http://www.theravive.com/therapedia/Narcissistic-Personality-Disorder-DSM--5-301.81-(F60.81)

Options

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

The definition of NPD states that it comprises of a persistent manner of grandiosity, a continuous desire for admiration, along with a lack of empathy. It starts by early adulthood and occurs in a range of situations, as signified by the existence of any 5 of the next 9 standards (American Psychiatric Association, 2013):

• A grandiose logic of self-importance
    • A fixation with fantasies of infinite success, control, brilliance, beauty, or idyllic love
    • A credence that he or she is extraordinary and exceptional and can only be understood by, or should connect with, other extraordinary or important people or institutions
    • A desire for unwarranted admiration
    • A sense of entitlement
    • Interpersonally oppressive behavior
    • No form of empathy
    • Resentment of others or a conviction that others are resentful of him or her
    • A display of egotistical and conceited behaviors or attitudes

Options

The definition of NPD states that it comprises of a persistent manner of grandiosity, a continuous desire for admiration, along with a lack of empathy. It starts by early adulthood and occurs in a range of situations, as signified by the existence of any 5 of the next 9 standards (American Psychiatric Association, 2013):

• A fixation with fantasies of infinite success, control, brilliance, beauty, or idyllic love
    • A credence that he or she is extraordinary and exceptional and can only be understood by, or should connect with, other extraordinary or important people or institutions
    • A sense of entitlement
    • No form of empathy

Bill and Hilliary to a T.  Great recognition brother!!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Sounds like Kanye to me 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options

• A sense of entitlement
    • No form of empathy

MILLENNIALS? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What is the code the code for Trump Derangement Syndrome? 
    Did any of you see that video some Hollywood libs made in an attempt to get the electoral vote to go the other way? Imagine the conversation early on, lib one says "I have a great idea, we will make a video urging the voters to flip, and we will use celebrities." Lib two says "who do you have, Damon, Pitt, Clooney?" Lib one says "no, the girl from Will and Grace, and Loretta Swit, who has not been relevant since the 1970's and has had about 17 too many plastic surgeries."
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @northGAcock...shaking my head.  "Only you" ;)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I hear knowing NOPD can be dangerous for your health too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    You really shouldn't air all of bill and hilliary's problems on a BBQ forum.  But it is nice how you were able to define and categorize them!  DSM V and all!  @Eggcelsior, appreciate the assist brother!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You really shouldn't air all of bill and hilliary's problems on a BBQ forum.  But it is nice how you were able to define and categorize them!  DSM V and all!  @Eggcelsior, appreciate the assist brother!
    Good observation, Brent.  I ran those people through this filter and they definitely have it.  Good thing the president elect doesn't exhibit any of those symptoms.

What does it mean if someone does have NPD?

If someone does have “Narcissistic Personality Disorder” they can, indeed, wake up, see a Tweet or a news report from a foreign leader criticizing him, mocking him, calling him “weak” or threatening his ego in any way and order some kind of impulsive, vindictive, punishing, immediate response that could include an unhinged order to attack that foreign leader or foreign country with military force, even including the authorization of nuclear weapons.

It is extremely likely that there would be some kind of impulsive, angry diplomatic response.

Because someone afflicted with this incurable and progressive “Narcissistic Personality Disorder” simply can’t help himself.

Here’s why:

1. People with NPD are extremely sensitive and insecure. They psychologically require constant compliments and acknowledgement because they do not have their own internal self-esteem. They need to get it from others.

2. If someone does criticize them, even in a Tweet or on a television comedy show, it triggers this deep and painful lack of self-esteem and they MUST lash out to relieve the pain of the criticism.

3. They have only two modes: They are either fully your friend and love you or you are their enemy and they will do everything to discredit you or humiliate you. They can’t help it. The pain of having someone in their circle who does not approve of them or acknowledge them, (almost constantly), is too great.  

4. There are only two ways to deal with someone with NPD, and they are both dangerous. There is no healthy way of interacting with someone with this affliction. If you criticize them they will lash out at you and if they have a great deal of power, that can be consequential. If you compliment them it only acts to increase the delusional and grandiose reality the sufferer has created, causing him to be even more reliant on constant and endless compliments and unwavering support.

5. Because they crave the attention and approval of others they develop great capacity to engage and entertain and can be quite charismatic, even to the point of developing a cult-like following.

6. Someone with NPD will NEVER get along with any member of the press, or any media outlet that criticizes him. 

7. Someone with NPD will NEVER hire (and will fire) anyone who criticizes him. Therefore, and because they believe they know better than almost everyone else, they have a very hard time listening and taking any advice.

Concerns Expressed by Mental Health Professionals

The President of The United State and Commander in Chief is the only American who has ANY say over the mobilization of The United States Military, the authorization of a military strike on a perceived or real enemy and the launch of any and all of the weapons possessed by The United States Military, including 7,000 nuclear warheads.

There is no “Fail Safe”. There is no “Team”. There is no thoughtful review.

The National Security Advisor, The Secretary of Defense, The Secretary of State, The Joint Chiefs of State and every General in the military can all emphatically say “NO!” but if The Commander in Chief wants to initiate military and even nuclear action, NO ONE can stop him. American law does not allow a military officer to make those decisions.

Only a civilian, The President, elected by The American People can access the nuclear codes. Only that President can use the nuclear codes.

And if he does, the military is duty bound to follow his order.

A President and Commander in Chief who does have Narcissistic Personality Disorder would be very dangerous to all Americans, and the world.

Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When either Hitler or SemolinaPrickard enter into a discussion, it's usually a signal of the end of a factual conversation.  Learned that on this forum. ;)
    Options
    When either Hitler or SemolinaPrickard
    I think you misspelled that. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    No, I didn't.
    Options
    No, I didn't.
    Are you sure? Something looks amiss.  Can't quite put my finger on it though. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    No, I didn't.
    Are you sure? Something looks amiss.  Can't quite put my finger on it though. 
    Oh yeah, I meant to write "Kitler".  Sorry man!  You're as sharp as a Damascus knife!

Image result for kitler

Options
    Unfair!!!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    What would prompt someone to use a bathroom like that!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    What would prompt someone to use a bathroom like that!
    Someone who passes a nice, solid turd.  A regular guy.
    Options

• A sense of entitlement
    • No form of empathy

i think the only president that did not have that was jimmy, all the others in my lifetime definitely had it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Aw, my feelings are hurt. You were so much nicer when you were in the bunker.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

seems 8 years is the cure =) for npd

Image result for obama walks on water

and in further news

trump walks on water
    the MEDIA chants...HE CAN'T SWIM...HE CAN'T SWIM  =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it