Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Help Please

Options
Hey Eggers, 
I am considering doing a spiral-sliced ham along with turkey for Thanksgiving. 
Never done one before and I'm concerned about it getting dry.
Any tips or suggestions? 
TIA
John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Have smoked spirals twice both were excellent!  There is a great recipe on Texas smoking bbq. Follow that and you'll be happy!
    VA Beach
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Hey Eggers, 
    I am considering doing a spiral-sliced ham along with turkey for Thanksgiving. 
    Never done one before and I'm concerned about it getting dry.
    Any tips or suggestions? 
    TIA
    It's already precooked. You simply want to warm it to about 135-140 degrees. Anymore than this and you run the risk of drying it out. 
    I cook mine at or near 225 degrees so it can spend considerable time in the smoke before reaching the desired finish temp. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just follow the normal heating instructions but use your egg. That ham is already smoked cooked and smoked so all you are doing is heating it up- no matter what you use to do it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Many thanks!  What a great site this is. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon