Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Charleston, SC trip coming up

Options
We're heading to Charleston for a family shindig, 11/25-11/28. I'm looking for dining suggestions for 2-3 meals, and grocery suggestions too (things to bring back to Houston, e.g. GRITS!)

No dietary restrictions. We eat just about everything. Suggestions for down-home Southern cooking, breakfast/brunch, or toddler-friendly joints would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I drove to Charleston and back this summer.  Didn't do a lot of dining out, but I sure did like the chicken sandwiches they offer at Boxcar Betty's.  Toddler friendly, very casual.  Had my first fried green tomatoes at this place.

One to avoid is Bessinger's BBQ - some of the worst I've had.

Have a good trip.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Hominy Grill 
  • AppStateDDS
    Options
    Cru Cafe is a great little lunch spot - I'd get a reservation though.  We also like Pearlz Oyster Bar in the historic discrict - casual and gets busy during happy hour.  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Toast and/or Husk for brunch. They are a must IMO. The Ordinary is a cool place as well... used to be a bank and their kitchen is built in the old vault. A little pricey, but very good. Hominy Grill is a pretty cool little joint too. 
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Leon's Fine Poultry and Oysters- King St.
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Rodney Scott sounds like he is moving into Charleston - http://charleston.eater.com/2016/8/29/12688996/rodney-scott-barbecue-charleston

Sean Brock made the best bite I had at Southern Smoke a year ago - http://huskrestaurant.com/about/

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

I drove to Charleston and back this summer.  Didn't do a lot of dining out, but I sure did like the chicken sandwiches they offer at Boxcar Betty's.  Toddler friendly, very casual.  Had my first fried green tomatoes at this place.

Have a good trip.

This opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Not a mustard fan?  ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Page's Okra Grill in Mt Pleasant is good. For grits, go to Geechie Boy Mill on Edisto.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hominy Grill 
    +1   and I am a bigger fan of their breakfast than dinner....but it is all good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Page's Okra Grill in Mt Pleasant is good. For grits, go to Geechie Boy Mill on Edisto.
    Dylan is spot on with the Geechie Boy grits. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If BBQ, there's John Lewis's place, Lewis BBQ.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the recs.

Hominy Grill was one I had been thinking of. I remember Bessingers from when I was a kid , but haven't heard good things about them in recent times. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

This opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Not a mustard fan?  ;)

It is possible I caught them on a bad day, however me experience would not have me going back.  We had the pulled pork sammies and at least three sides.  Each component was sub par. (and they mixed up the order)

@caliking   We had shaved ice for the first time on this trip.  That was a big hit for the kid (and for me).  They add something crazy addictive to the stuff.  

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you should try John Lewis' place for sure. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the recs.

Hominy Grill was one I had been thinking of. I remember Bessingers from when I was a kid , but haven't heard good things about them in recent times. 
    If you go to Hominy Grill for brunch try the She Crab Soup ... DO NOT miss out on the Shrimp & Grits .. I didn't even like Grits until I ate it here .. Dang .. I want to visit Charleston again.

I also ate at Hanks seafood, but the hype got to me and I went there with great expectations .. left a little disappointed :-(

Another interesting restaurant I went was Xiao Bao Biscuit ... Asian Inspired Soul Food .. amazing!

If you are craving BBQ, Fiery Ron's is decent .. .nothing to brag about.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Some good microbrewery's there for the tasting. Palmetto & Holy City jump out at me. The Tattooed Moose (near Palmetto) is a great lunch option. The Pork Belly Sandwich is outstanding. 

I enjoy Charleston Cooks (kitchen shop)...always enjoy looking through their stuff. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Rodney Scott sounds like he is moving into Charleston - http://charleston.eater.com/2016/8/29/12688996/rodney-scott-barbecue-charleston

Sean Brock made the best bite I had at Southern Smoke a year ago - http://huskrestaurant.com/about/

I can tell you that his pulled pig sandwich at Southern Smoke made me realize I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to doing authentic pulled pork. I put way too much vinegar sauce on mine- his was sublime.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Dylan is spot on with the Geechie Boy grits. 
    Another rec for these and for Husk.  You can also mail order these grits.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Hominy Grill 
    +1   and I am a bigger fan of their breakfast than dinner....but it is all good.
    Me too 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Love Charleston! Last time my wife and I were there, we went to a bar where they had a wall full of adult slushies. Perhaps as a result, I cannot remember the names of any dining establishments we frequented.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I figured I would end up with more suggestions for good eats than i would know what to do with :)

I had read about Lewis' place some time ago, but had forgotten about it. Wasn't planning on bbq, but may try to slip it in. 

And I'm pretty sure I'm coming back with some Geechie Boy grits. 

May even decide to ditch the family shindig and just go eat. Which is not sounding like a bad idea...

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Another vote for Lewis Barbecue.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten anywhere in Charleston or the surrounding area that I didn't like. The standards are so high that a mediocre place goes out of business quick.

Taco boy has some good stuff if you're looking for that.