Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Which truck to buy?

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
I am going to buy a new truck soon. 

My my last two trucks have been Dodges, and I really liked them both, However of the new models out now, the Dodge has the least amount of leg and head room. Important to me as I am 6'5". 

So im down to the Chevy Silverado and the Toyata Tundra. Any insight from owners of either of these trucks would be appreciated. 

Im leaning toward the Chevy, mainly because I've never owned a Toyota. 
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I bet you can't go wrong in this category. That said I have had two chevys in the last 15 years at work. Left the first one with nearly 500k on it. Bearings and brakes along with a couple O2 sensors. I beat the living hell out of them. I also surprisingly love the Bluetooth in the truck. I do a lot of work while driving. Good luck. 
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

I've got a '16 Ram.  You're going to make me go out and see how much leg and head room there really is!  I guess I adjusted the seat until it was comfortable for me and haven't touched it since.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Every one around here drives chevys or gmcs including me. I see very few tundras around. I go chevy every time. 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I have a neighbor who just got the Nissan XD Titan 5.0 Cummings desiel. It is the high end model with leather and a killer bed system. And with a 5 year 100k mile bumper to bumper, it looks pretty good.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Chevy / GMC.     There is no better seating in a truck..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I bought a GMC Sierra this year and I like it. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    GMC Sierra Denali 1500
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Guess I'm the only Ford guy here.  Lots of room, more then Dodge and Chevy.  Toyota has a lot of leg, but they can be hard to deal with.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Guess I'm the only Ford guy here. 
    Brother Back, you have always been one of my forum favorites. Especially after you posted that video of yourself body slamming that guy. But the above is unforgivable  ;)
    For the record, that body slam video is still the coolest thing that I have ever seen on the forum. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    You didn't mention a budget but if the budget allows the sierra Denali is a great truck with all the bells and whistles. Not great on gas but plenty of power. I couldn't be happier. 
    Snellville, GA

• jabam
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Appreciate all the responses. As for the Ford that's what I have been driving at work for the last twenty years and it seems like we are always working in it. 

I do do like the 5yr 100,000 warranty on the Toyota, but I think I'm leaning Chevy
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    SGH said:
    Guess I'm the only Ford guy here. 
    Brother Back, you have always been one of my forum favorites. Especially after you posted that video of yourself body slamming that guy. But the above is unforgivable  ;)
    For the record, that body slam video is still the coolest thing that I have ever seen on the forum. 
    Sorry, I had an Avalanche that cost me a lotext to drive and just don't like the looks of Chevy .   GMC is OK, and Dodge is OK.  I have had my Ford for 5 years and problems.  Plus I got a heckrauter@usa-mortgage.com of deal on it.  I have a friend that sells Dodges and may look at one in 5 to 10 years. I have 2011 5.0 V8 and get about 17 to 18 driving to work in city highways. When I did long trips I got 19 to 20.  I done with Government Motors though.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Ford is the number one selling truck and has been for the last 5 years.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I've had a Chevy, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Dodge, and a Toyota.  Honestly, I liked them all, but at the end of the day my Ford F150 Platinum Super Cab is by far the best truck I've ever owned.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RedSkip
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hub said:
    I've had a Chevy, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Dodge, and a Toyota.  Honestly, I liked them all, but at the end of the day my Ford F150 Platinum Super Cab is by far the best truck I've ever owned.
    Doubt you owned a Sierra Denali.  

Ford comes with a heated tailgate package for a reason.  When it breaks down your hands will be warm while pushing it.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    All of the newer Chevys tend to have lots of problems.. One of my clients is a service manager for one of the dealer ships and says with all the new mpg saving technology they begin to burn oil at 35-40k miles

my girlfriend had a 2009 one with the stabilitrack and it kept locking up the truck to where we couldn't drive it. And the crappy thing about stabilitrack code... There's any one of 500 causes that can cause the code to run.. Anything from a brake sensor to air intake... Don't believe me check google..

and with this stabilitrack code there's no way to track the problem individually it's just "stabilitrack sensor " 

by the time we got it running it had spent all summer in the shop and would have been cheaper to replace the transmission 

From that crap alone I will NEVER have another GM product 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ford is the number one selling truck and has been for the last 5 years.
    You mean going on 35 years
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    My friend is a fan of the Toyota trucks.  I know some people will laugh, but my he has 275k miles on his 2014 and it's still going strong.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RedSkip
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ryantt said:
    My friend is a fan of the Toyota trucks.  I know some people will laugh, but my he has 275k miles on his 2014 and it's still going strong.  
    Did he run it on a dyno for six months?!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    Options
    In all seriousness, buy what makes you most comfortable...  both while driving and budget. 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I'll chime in here as it seems there has not been any Toyota owners yet. I have a 2016 Tundra limited crew max. If you get a tundra defiantly get the crew max. I have had the sr5 and the crew max is much more roomy. I also suggest getting the 2016 because it comes with the larger fuel tank. You can get a limited tundra crew-max, which comes with leather/nav/20 rims ect for about 10k cheaper than a comparable American made truck with the same fix'ns. The one thing that absolutely sucks about the tundras is the sound system. DO NOT spend the money for the JBL upgrade. It is not worth it. I just replaced my sound system with after market JL Audio speakers and the system sounds amazing. I love my truck and this is my second tundra in a row. Good luck!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I think ALL of the newer vehicles have problems.  That is why I hold on to my 94 Chevy and 97 Taco.  You know a truck is solid when the door pins are known to go out.  =)

There is much more that can, and will, go wrong with the new vehicles, even foreigns.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    I think ALL of the newer vehicles have problems.  That is why I hold on to my 94 Chevy and 97 Taco.  You know a truck is solid when the door pins are known to go out.  =)

There is much more that can, and will, go wrong with the new vehicles, even foreigns.

The door pins are known "problems" with those body styles of Silverados. :lol:
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My vote for the Silverado. That said, I don't have a Tundra to compare it to.
    Here's my 2014. It's a double cab.

For us, it's the right size. My kids are 15, 12, and 7, so the back seat is big enough, and having the full size bed is nice. If you are planning to have adults in the back seat, I would highly recommend crew cab.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    Options
    Focker said:

That's a good point. My 2005 Dodge has 215,000 and I have had no major problems. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options

I've got a '16 Ram.  You're going to make me go out and see how much leg and head room there really is!  I guess I adjusted the seat until it was comfortable for me and haven't touched it since.

I have a 14 Ram, wish it had memory seats, I want to strangle the poor valet guy or mechanic that moves the seat..lol
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of my yota! I've been rocking out with this truck for 12 years and it's 14 years old (2003 tundra). Never had any problems out her other than it would leak onto my passenger side floormat when it rained hard. I fixed that with putting some silicon around the screws holding the plastic piece in under the windshield wipers. She has 156k and still purring! Only downside is it loves gas, but what 2003 v8 truck doesn't? I have a buddy with 230k on his 2002 tundra.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @jabam, I'm also 6'5", and I drive a Taco.  
    I bought a '92 Toy truck, new, back when they only offered one model, put 230,000 miles on it before a stop-sign-runner destroyed it; no problems whatsoever.  
    Replaced it with my '07 "barely-used" Taco, still only have 48K miles on it, again no problems other than one recall which they paid for.  The local dealership actually offered to buy it from me last spring, for only $4,000 less than I had paid for it!  
    Head room is fine, it'd be nice to have more leg room of a Tundra but my parking situation is very cramped.  My car's old so I take the taco on my driving vacations, 1,200 miles in a couple days, no problem.  It does bounce a bit on bumps and potholes.  My biggest complaint about the Tacos, and the Tundras, is their gas mileage.  
    This will probably be my last truck, but if it gets stolen/destroyed tomorrow, I will definitely check out the new Honda.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RedSkip
    Options
    @Botch. Taco?  Tacoma?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I just traded my 2009 Taco for a 2017 Taco.  I drove F150 4x4s before that.  Toyota has got it going on. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.