Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Beer Can Chicken On Minimax

Options

Double “Beer Can” Chicken On Minimax

INGREDIENTS:

·       2 (3.5lb each) chickens

·       Fresh cut carrots

·       Onions

·       Red potatoes

·       Mint leave

·       Chicken broth

·       Cream soda

·       Apple juice

SUMMARY:

Indirect heat at 375 for 1 hr and 20 minutes.

EGG SETUP:

In order to fit both chickens on the Minimax, (it was a tight fit) I took out the fire ring and set the plate setter on the outer edge of the bottom bowl. The plate setter was feet down and I made sure to leave about an inch or two between the coals and the plate setter to allow air flow.

COOKING PROCESS:

I put a ceramic chicken cooker and a can of half full cream soda in a baking pan (don’t have the size of the pan, just something that will fit on your Minimax). The ceramic chicken holder had the other half of the cream soda, apple juice, and mint leave. Place the can and ceramic cooker in the pot before the broth and veggies so you know not to over flow the pan. Also leave space for the broth to rise when the chicken is placed in.  I chopped up the vegetables and placed them in a baking pan with the chicken broth and mint.

I basted the chicken in olive oil and put a heavy amount of dry rub of smokehouse maple seasoning on both chickens. I put one chicken on the ceramic cooker and the other on top of the soda can. The reason for the can is that I only had one ceramic cooker and wanted to do both chickens at the same time. Ambitious, but the can alone worked great. I leaned the chickens together to avoid the soda can from falling over.

I started the coals (half full bowl) and added some hickory wood chips for flavor and smoke. I got the egg to sit right at 375 degrees and put the pan with all the goodness right on the plate setter for maximum space.

Every 20 minutes I opened the egg to baste the chicken with olive oil to make the skin brown better. Once I hit the 1 hr mark, I slightly turned the chicken to allow the parts of the chicken that were touching to be exposed and get brown. The total cook lasted about 1hr and 20 min, and the internal temp of the main part of the chicken was 170 degrees.

I removed the whole pan and served the veggies from the broth with the cut up chicken. Absolutely delicious! This was my first time ever doing a semi long smoke and this turned out great. Feedback and questions are welcome.

Comments