Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carne Guisada and Charro Beans

Options
I broke in my new Cazuela this evening by making carne guisada. I love this stuff - and it's simple to cook. I think the secret is just cook it easy and slow until the meat is tender and the sauce gets thick. It allows a lot of time for adult beverages. 
Ingredients:
3 lbs of arm roast cut into 1 1/2" cubes (yes, cut them larger than bite size - they will break down later)
1 onion rough chopped
1 bell pepper rough chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno 
3 Roma tomatoes grated  ( throw away the skins)
1 Tbsp flour
3 cups beef broth
S&P
cumin seed

I put the cazuela on the egg over direct heat right at the fire ring. Once the egg was at 250 degrees I started adding meat to let it brown. Cooking in clay you have to start slow and be patient. Drink a little ;)
Once the meat was browned a bit and temps were coming up some I added the onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and tomato. Cook this a bit to soften it. 
Then I added the flour and seasonings. Then add the broth and mix well.
grab a cold adult beverage and cook for 3 hours or more at 300 degrees or so. Cook it slow. 
I added a bit of chipotle and some green chili juice I have frozen into ice cubes. One cube adds a subtle flavor. 

I also cooked some simple charro pinto beans in a new clay pot - I'm just fooling around with fire. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice cook brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @bge rent Thanks. I really enjoy these kind of relaxing cooks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice write-up. Nothing better than what comes out of clay pots.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @bge rent Thanks. I really enjoy these kind of relaxing cooks. 
    That they're relaxing is key.  Then everyone eats well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Nice write-up. Nothing better than what comes out of clay pots.
    I'm really a fan. I'm not sure if it's in my head but I think I can taste a difference. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CtTOPGUN
    Options
    Looks wonderful! I recently picked up a traditional bean pot. Hoping it enhances the bean dishes this Winter. If nothing else, it looks cool...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SciAggie
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    If nothing else, it looks cool...
    To be honest, that's kind of why I do it - and it's fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    Wow!

You can do some good barbacoa in it!!
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Great looking cook and pics! Thanks. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks incredible
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    WOW !!! That looks so tasty.. Nice cook and meal.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tortillas please. Pass the pot. Yum!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Tortillas please. Pass the pot. Yum!
    We had plenty of tortillas - they just didn't make the pic, lol
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • AEgger
    Options
    Looks good thanks for recipe. Q: assume over direct heat the whole time And can I use cast iron vs buy clay pot?  Pot looks cool but don't want to buy one just for this.
    AEgger; griller of the house in NC; lg and sm egg
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Very cool!!  Looks delicious. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Looks so good I am considering making it later today.  Can you use the same exact recipe/technique but instead use chicken and chicken broth in place of the beef and beef broth?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @AEegger Cast iron will work just fine. Remember there is tomato in the dish so it's a bit hard on your CI seasoning if it's relatively new CI. I'm gatherning an assortment of CI, CS, and clay cookware just for the outdoor kitchen. Some of the clay cookware will see use in my wood fired oven when I get it built. Plus, I just like this sort of thing. 
    @Hub Beef is traditional for carne guisada but I see no reason chicken won't work. The idea is still the same - cook it slow untill all is tender and tasty. Let us know how it turns out. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    One of my favorites....well done! Good looking pot...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Great cook.  I got hongry just looking at it.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Gunnar Thanks. Pots and "stuff" in the outdoor kitchen are part of the fun, no?
    @20stone It was pretty tasty. @SGH would have been proud of the way we packed it away last night. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks amazing!  What is an arm roast?  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub for sure. I really like that bean pot you have there. Cool as heck. And more especially I like the way you said you packed away the grub. A man has to eat no =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Looks amazing!  What is an arm roast?  :)
    It's the same as a chuck shoulder roast - that's just what they are called around here. 
    https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/Detail.aspx?ckey=102
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Great looking cook! I haven't used the cazuela in years but they are great on the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That looks great... Good cook!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! Tonight, I pressure cooked a pound of dried pintos as Frijoles Charros. Went very well with the chicken thighs I egged last night. Used this recipe, only in the pressure cooker... delicious! They looked like this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! Tonight, I pressure cooked a pound of dried pintos as Frijoles Charros. Went very well with the chicken thighs I egged last night. Used this recipe, only in the pressure cooker... delicious! They looked like this...

Nice! I need to get a pressure cooker for those times when I don't have hours to cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep. Once I "pre-cooked" the bacon, onions and garlic, this took 30 minutes under pressure! And I didn't have to soak the beans!! LOVE my pressure cooker! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Yep. Once I "pre-cooked" the bacon, onions and garlic, this took 30 minutes under pressure! And I didn't have to soak the beans!! LOVE my pressure cooker! 
    I'm digging the bowl too. I'm a fan of La Chamba cookware. Pieces have their imperfections but I like the way it cooks on the egg and over coals. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon