Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip... you've met your match!

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
edited June 2016 in Beef
Beef shoulder tender nearly frozen when I started it on the mini. Seasoned with Montreal and cooked raised direct at 250-300 until thawed. Then I ramped the heat to 500 for a little sear. One of the best pieces of beef I've ever eaten. Crazy tender and so beefy. The lil guy just started "dipping" his bites all on his own! It sure was a hit with the family. Pics are a very random order due to vanilla.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    It sure looks like a winner to me. Awesome job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Is that you in the pic with the little guy?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    You showed that tri-tip whose boss! I love it when my littles appreciate the egged food!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you @SGH , but no that's my very forgiving bride. I'm not nearly as good looking.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Thank you @SGH , but no that's my very forgiving bride. I'm not nearly as good looking.
    You are a lucky man my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• minniemoh
    Options
    SGH said:
    minniemoh said:
    Thank you. As they say... I out-kicked my coverage.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your boy dipping...outstanding brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Your boy dipping...outstanding brother!
    He may be only 2 yrs old but I like to think he's wise beyond his years.  ;)
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    You showed that tri-tip whose boss! I love it when my littles appreciate the egged food!
    Thank you @Hans61 - maybe my title wasn't very clear. This is not tri tip but rather beef shoulder tender. In my opinion, it is a much better piece for flavor and texture. Think the flavor of a tri tip with the texture of filet.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Hans61 said:
    Thank you @Hans61 - maybe my title wasn't very clear. This is not tri tip but rather beef shoulder tender. In my opinion, it is a much better piece for flavor and texture. Think the flavor of a tri tip with the texture of filet.
    Sounds awesome, will put on my to do list!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • minniemoh
    Options
    SGH said:
    Is that you in the pic with the little guy?
    As you can see from the photo, he's excited to take after you and your crews operating the heavy equipment (see his t-shirt) rather than running around trying to sell stuff like his old man.  ;)
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I think Shoulder Tenders are a little known cut of beef that is really good.  One of my favorites.  I still like Tri-Tip but the shoulder tenders are better.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Petite tender is really hard to find in my area. It is a very good cut. Excellent cook, and the testimonial from the wee one sells it! Time to go look for this again. Thanks for sharing!  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great.  I agree that your son might be some kind of culinary prodigy.  

I will definitely be on the lookout for this cut.  I don't think I have ever seen it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    Excellent parenting! You got a 2 year old to eat yams and brussel sprouts?

Did you get that perfect medium rare by feel, or by probing it? Nice job either way, I'd pay for steak that well presented.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    looks fantastic! I don't recall seeing that cut of beef around here.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

I will definitely be on the lookout for this cut.  I don't think I have ever seen it.
    @SmokeyPitt , ask your local butcher and if they want your business, they should be able to order some.  Our local Stauffers market carries it most of the time and this is a result of my asking them to get me some. They did and put the rest in the meat case and it sold.  Now they carry it regularly.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great all round.  I will have to keep and eye out for that cut.  I just found a local place that has tri tip.  Next time in I will ask him about it.  My daughter started eating chicken from the egg at about 11 months old.  She loves it.  I bought a small for my second egg.  I told my wife it was for her (my daughter).  You might be able to pull the same thing off for your son :)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I actually purchased some a while back from Publix. I had never really seen them before....but gave them a shot. I skewered them for kabobs....and found much joy. Don't think I have seen them sense.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    SGH said:
    minniemoh said:
    Thank you. As they say... I out-kicked my coverage.
    I've used that descriptor many times!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!