Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Balsamic glaze cooked on CI ... can't get off

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
I cooked down some balsamic for mushrooms.  After shrooms were done I left the CI in the egg.  I cannot get the dried glaze off.

I have tried my chain mail scrapper, boiling water in it,  salt and water, and nothing has gotten it off.

Any ideas?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Remember when I did that in my stainless?  Had to chip it away with a spoon. Maybe someone smarter than us will come along...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Cook bacon in the pan. If that doesn't work, cook more bacon. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I hope so.  This is a beeaatch.

theyolksonyou said:
    Remember when I did that in my stainless?  Had to chip it away with a spoon. Maybe someone smarter than us will come along...

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Wet sand paper and reseason. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Lit said:
    Wet sand paper and reseason. 
    Sh!t.  I hope not, but you might be right.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I'd just put it in the fire pit. Reseasoning is probably in your future either way though.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think Lit has the best solution thus far. Anything else would be too caustic for a food surface to cook with.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Boiling in water didn't do it?  

My strategy has been to give up on laborious reseasoning. My wife uses the CI often and occasionally strips the seasoning. 

In that case , i hit it with a little oil and keep on using it. Let it season in-use. Because a couple weeks later.... Oooops

part of me wonders if it might work to just forge on in your case. Instead of being meticulous, just reseason and let it ride

does it affect the flavor or keep blackening or otherwise cause any practical problem, or is it just driving you crazy? If it flavors stuff, then yeah. You gotta solve it. But if not i would just season it

it's an acid right? Might not even be the balsamic stuff is even there, so much as where it was

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I'd just put it in the fire pit. Reseasoning is probably in your future either way though.
    I would try this first if it were me. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    CI can crack that way. It works, but i dunno seems like a nuclear option

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Would an option be to take it to a sandblasting company, and get them to use a ceramic bead. Or there are companies that use other media that doesn't compromise the surface.. Might be worth exploring.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Tomatoes are too acidic to use in a cast iron pan. Vinegar is over the top. The acid ate away your seasoning anyway, so even if you didn't burn it in, you still would need to re season.

I would fill the egg with some cheap lump, after the smoke clears set the pan cooking side down on your grill.

Let it rip around 600º dome for as long as the coals last. Don't do a clean burn, set the bottom vent to prevent a runaway fire, you want that pan hot, but you don't want to warp it and you don't want the tops of the flames licking it, so control the burn.

That's the easy way. If that doesn't work, you might need to get it down to bare metal by electrolysis. Yes, a water bath, a marine 12v battery, an anode and jumper cables.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8U6AAoqLA

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Grampa never had an electrolysis rig. 

Ah well. Whatever works. 

I vote for less drastic fixes first. But like many things here, simple is no fun

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I'm with @Darby_Crenshaw on this one.  I am going to try simpler methods first.  Unfortunately, I can't just reseason and carry-on because it has made a very rough surface.

I will try boiling water in it one more time.  Then use a fine wet sandpaper to finish as @Lit suggested.  Then oil and use to season.

It is a lodge pan and I think it would be cheaper to buy a new one then bring it to a media blasting company.  Although if I were closer to @blasting :)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    In another thread I remember fishless suggesting to get it hot (like almost smoke point) then do dump water in it and the steam/sizzle bubbles will help lift it.  
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have stripped quite  bit of CI. Skillets can take a butt load of heat. Have used a weed burner with great success. Just keep it moving. Don't concentrate the heat in one area.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    was the original surface ground smooth?   i thought the lodge stuff was rougher, cast surface.

it may be that it is stripped, as opposed to actually residue.  have you tried just seasoning it?  ... i.e. filling in the lost area of seasoning,

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Glass bead would do the trick, but if you don't know a guy like me, it's likely to cost 2-3 times what the pan is worth.  

I'm also about to experiment with electrolysis.  I'm assembling the parts for a larger scale tank now.  
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I would bet, like others mentioned, the vinegar more than likely stripped the pan.  Have learned the hard way on this to use the nonstick for acidic tasks.  May need to strip and reseason. 

I too, need to go electro. I'm lucky, and can still find lye.  Idiots will always wreck a party.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options

Boiling in water didn't do it?  

My strategy has been to give up on laborious reseasoning. My wife uses the CI often and occasionally strips the seasoning. 

In that case , i hit it with a little oil and keep on using it. Let it season in-use. Because a couple weeks later.... Oooops

part of me wonders if it might work to just forge on in your case. Instead of being meticulous, just reseason and let it ride

does it affect the flavor or keep blackening or otherwise cause any practical problem, or is it just driving you crazy? If it flavors stuff, then yeah. You gotta solve it. But if not i would just season it

it's an acid right? Might not even be the balsamic stuff is even there, so much as where it was

Why not get her a nice nonstick.  You can find a Pro TFal for 30 bucks.  An All-Clad or Le Creuset nonstick starting at a hundred.  And keep the CI away from the acidity or eggs?  Would cut down on "labor".
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Used the weedburner and that did the trick.  Took about 15 minutes but was able to burn/scrap the gunk off.  Then cooked some onions for carna asada in a bit of oil.  Worked like a champ.

Thanks guys!
  • Wolfe
    Wolfe Posts: 79
    Options
    Water and 1/2 cup white vinager being to boil. Works on stainless steel pans. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options