Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited January 2016 in Off Topic

I guess it's time to make a phone call to Austin!  :angry: 

Thankfully, I have just enough for this black gold!   =)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :cry:  That's the saddest pic yet!  Saw they sell on CGS website also. But, I'm not sure what kind of pricing you're getting in Austin. 
    I'm just happy it's not yet another untimely death. There have been so many lately. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited January 2016
    Options

And singing this:  

https://youtu.be/bb1DTsxBOfE
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    That brisket looks great, but I'm pretty sure that's not an Egg it's cooking on so it doesn't count (haha). Recently my local butcher shop started selling peach paper becuase the demand has apparently picked up to a significant enough level that there's an actual market for the stuff. Might be worth a few local phone calls first. I 'm pretty sure you can get it on Amazon as well.

Good luck, and enjoy. Congrats on that (non-existant) beauty in the pics.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • cazzy
    Options
    Just enough...fit like a glove!  :relieved: 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I haven't used paper YET on my briskets but decided I would on the next one.  I'm guessing by your post that you have started using it every time?  Do you feel like you get more consistent results with paper?  I was leaning that direction based on research alone but would love to hear your thoughts.

And that brisket looks phenomenal.

Thanks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    Options
    I haven't used paper YET on my briskets but decided I would on the next one.  I'm guessing by your post that you have started using it every time?  Do you feel like you get more consistent results with paper?  I was leaning that direction based on research alone but would love to hear your thoughts.

And that brisket looks phenomenal.

Thanks.
    I've been using paper for about 3 years.  I wrap to protect the flat...that's about it.  It took a few times to find my bearings, but it's seemless now.  I don't worry about the stall or anything anymore...all by feel and I usually wrap when I'm satisfied with my bark.  

I still think wrapping is better suited for cooking environments that have a draft.  It's a much harder cooking environment than what we have in an egg.  However, a draft has its benefits...cooks faster, but the biggest difference for me is bark development.  That pic...believe it or not was about 2 hours and 15 minutes in with no sugar in my rub.  

Give it a try...but the best advice I can give anyone is cook as much brisket as you can afford.  Don't change too much from cook to cook and keep a journal of your cooks.  What worked, what didn't...weird crap that happened etc.  The more reps you get...the better you'll get.  Caution...Do all this with a clear understanding that you'll prolly end up getting very tired of brisket.  I got a special request for this brisket.  I'll have a piece of the flat and a Texas burnt end from the end cut of the point and move on to pork ribs.  Lol
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Man that looks good. I'm sure you can get tired of brisket at some point, lol. I have three in the freezer now. @cazzy, do you favor a smoker brisket over an egg brisket? We've got to change out our gasket on the egg before we can do another low and slow, but we do have a smoker. Just curious.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    cazzy said:

...the best advice I can give anyone is cook as much brisket as you can afford.  Don't change too much from cook to cook and keep a journal of your cooks.  What worked, what didn't...weird crap that happened etc.  
    Lets see your journal @cazzy. Inquiring minds want to know what an adult males journal would look like.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cazzy
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

...the best advice I can give anyone is cook as much brisket as you can afford.  Don't change too much from cook to cook and keep a journal of your cooks.  What worked, what didn't...weird crap that happened etc.  
    Lets see your journal @cazzy. Inquiring minds want to know what an adult males journal would look like.
    Maybe I should have said "log".  Lol
  • cazzy
    Options

Dredger said:
    Man that looks good. I'm sure you can get tired of brisket at some point, lol. I have three in the freezer now. @cazzy, do you favor a smoker brisket over an egg brisket? We've got to change out our gasket on the egg before we can do another low and slow, but we do have a smoker. Just curious.
    Yes...without a doubt for two reasons.  The egg doesn't have a draft...but the main reason I prefer meat smoked off a smoker is...the smoke.  The egg is good at everything, but it isn't the best man for the job in some scenarios.  The two that stand out for me are pizza and smoking meat.  The egg can't match the smoke profile I get off my vertical cabinet.  This was very noticeable from my first cook on.  I use about 90% wood and 10% lump for most of my cooks...something you can't do on an egg.  

Brisket is done!  

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Dam that looks killer! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    :cry:  That's the saddest pic yet!  Saw they sell on CGS website also. But, I'm not sure what kind of pricing you're getting in Austin. 
    I'm just happy it's not yet another untimely death. There have been so many lately. 
    Where is FEMA when you need them?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Well said @cazzy  and I couldn't agree more.  I love to cook brisket but it can sure be frustrating.  I can take two identical cuts and cook as close to the same way (as I know how) with one turning out to be the best I've ever eaten while the other is mediocre at best.  I definitely need more practice....that's for sure....but learning is the fun part.  I have started a journal for all my cooks and have found it to be a huge help.  Next one I cook will be wrapped in paper and I'll post the process and results.
    Thanks!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

He keeps it in one of these @Chubbs ....

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Chubbs pleas don't ask to see his log. :fearful: 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @cazzy    that dispenser is pretty cool.

For anyone not local who wants the paper Franklin uses, here is the information  pasted from somewhere else:

FYI - just got that 1000' roll of pink 40lb ordered.  My net price to phoenix was $77

Cheryl told me they've had quite a run on the stuff thanks to Aaron Franklin.  She knew who he was, and all about his tv show and book.  She confirmed this is what he is using.

here's the information again in case anyone is looking for it:

A single roll of the 24” x 1000’ butcher paper is 47.40.  The estimated freight to Phoenix, AZ is 26.18.  I can have that shipped out today via Fedex 3-day ground.  If you would like to get that order finalized, please call me at 512-837-5887.Thank you,Cheryl
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    Options
    blasting said:
    @cazzy    that dispenser is pretty cool.

For anyone not local who wants the paper Franklin uses, here is the information  pasted from somewhere else:

FYI - just got that 1000' roll of pink 40lb ordered.  My net price to phoenix was $77

Cheryl told me they've had quite a run on the stuff thanks to Aaron Franklin.  She knew who he was, and all about his tv show and book.  She confirmed this is what he is using.

here's the information again in case anyone is looking for it:

A single roll of the 24” x 1000’ butcher paper is 47.40.  The estimated freight to Phoenix, AZ is 26.18.  I can have that shipped out today via Fedex 3-day ground.  If you would like to get that order finalized, please call me at 512-837-5887.

Thank you,

Cheryl

I ordered one today.  $50 something shipped (I'm in Texas).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think I had seen it on Amazon too, in 700 or 800' rolls. Don't recall what the price was.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think I had seen it on Amazon too, in 700 or 800' rolls. Don't recall what the price was.
    Nah...Amazon sells 150' rolls $29.95.  Waayyyy overpriced!
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Those ribs look great, can you share the prep and cook details? Thanks!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Holy crap those ribs look ridiculous.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Good looking ribs and brisket.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    How'd you do the ribs??? Rub temp ect!?!?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed that you are posting stuff not cooked on the BGE. The nerve of some people ;)
    On a serious note, looks great man. I especially like those ribs. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    SGH said:
    I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed that you are posting stuff not cooked on the BGE. The nerve of some people ;)

Says the man who has been wearing out the Fry Daddy lately  ;)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@cazzy agreed,  but that's The Hipster Package with the cardboard tube included. They used to to sell the big rolls 700 or 800'+) of the Oren paper for about that much + shipping... sans the tube. Haven't looked in a couple of months.

They probably took the big rolls off Amazon because it was killing the profit they make on the 150' rolls!

And those are some sh!tty lookin' ribs, btw :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful brisket.  Pretty sure they have more butcher paper brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    SGH said:
    On a serious note, looks great man. I especially like those ribs. 
    But was it done in the style of Dixie?

Great looking ribs and brisket. Even of it wasn't done on an Egg.
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas