Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Candy Fun

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
So a few months back my buddy had one of his sows harvested (it weighed in at a bit over 630# at the hooves). I requested about 15# of the belly. My buddy cured all of this pig's belly for everyone that wanted it and then smoked it with applewood on a stickburner. I've got two more small slabs left after this one. When this pig was alive it was cared for with the utmost respect and was happy until the end. Which I believe makes a difference in the end. Anytime I went over to my friend (co-workers) farm we'd pet all the livestock. This pig actually smelled sweet like maple bacon (no $hi+). Anyways I digress. 
Here's the slab I used today.

I had some leftover Beef Back Ribs from yesterday's cook. I cubed it up, wrapped it in this bacon and then soaked it up with some A-Frame Datil Pepper Sauce. Placed in uncovered in the freezer to stiffen back up. Right before it went in the egg I topped each one off with a smidge more sauce. 
Went with leftover lump (RW) and leftover wood chunks (Oak & Black Cherry). Ran at 275℉ish until the bacon crisped up. 

Thanks for looking. Cheers. Blake
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great Blake, but I have to ask, what was the hole in the belly slab?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yeah...Okay....Um....Damn!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Looks awesome 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @DMW That's an excellent question. One in which I don't have an answer for. The area that split I'm using to fry up for other dishes. It wasn't long enough to wrap.  No waste. I do know this was a very lean animal in comparison to others I've seen at similar weight. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Good googilymoogily!  Where do I sign up for that?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Holy Bejesus dude!!  That looks and sounds outstanding!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great Blake, but I have to ask, what was the hole in the belly slab?
    Not being there to see it actually butchered I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but if the swine was broken down by mechanical means, the cutter probably slipped or got off track when cutting the through the sternum. Hence, it would rip a hole somewhere in the belly meat. Again, not being there this is just speculation on my part. But it is a common occurrence. 

@NPHuskerFL - You sir are a God. Everything looks awesome as always brother Husker. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH @Mattman3969 @theyolksonyou @EggSmokeVa @YEMTrey @DMW Thank You! 
    @SGH That^^^ would make logical sense. I'm not 100% sure if the majority processing was by hand or mechanical. Next time I asked that the slab be a bit larger and 1 large slab vs 3 smaller portioned slabs. Either way for the money I donated I'm happy with what I received.  Thanks buddy!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    That looks delicious!  Another process I would love to try.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    That looks like tooth pick heaven.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    That all looks awesome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,046
    Options
    According to my GPS it will take me 26 hours to get to Florida in my truck! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looking delicious. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SGH said:
    ... if the swine was broken down by mechanical means, the cutter probably slipped or got off track when cutting the through the sternum. ...
    @SGH ... can you send me in the right direction to see a mechanical butcher.  Maybe I'm imagining more than you intended ... or maybe I'm just ignorant on the topic, but the thought process of a "robotic butcher" is interesting.  All the technology would seem to be available.  Cost/reward might be off.  Not the cleanest environment for electronics and sensors, but still ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    A tasty delight, I'm sure. Nice work and a nice pork connection you got there.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Damn Blake, if I ate along with your cooks then Big Moe Cason would be my little buddy.  Going to have to put a filter on your posts ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Man that looks great!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Beats Oscar Myer for sure.

Fun story and creative cook! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Edit: My buddy informed me the Sow yielded 630# of meat and at the hoof weighed around 820#  She was around 8' long. She would let ya ride her around. Was super friendly. And was delicious. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Great work but how did you have leftover ribs?  haha!

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @EGG_Daddy Thx! Close to 12# ribs for 5 originally including a guest. Our Son had to work at the dinner so only had 3 of us. These were made completely on the fly but, I'll do these again for sure w/ some variation. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow! That looks fantastic Husker. Did you cook them in the tray or take them out?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Damn! I'll take some over here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @saluki2007 @caliking Thx. 
    @saluki2007 In the pan. Notice it's perforated which allowed for good smoke, grease drainage, browning, etc. Sprayed pan first and that helped with cleanup. Yes, it's a disposable pan but, I've been know to get almost a years usage out of each pan....I'm thrifty that way :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @SGH After speaking to my buddy the hole is likely from the hooks during hanging during processing. Not mechanically processed. Hand processed into primals, chops, belly, etc and then to variety of sausage if requested. The plant is smaller and still processes by hand and wraps in butcher paper (charge .60¢ per # to slaughter, process and wrap).
    There's another plant available and they do mechanical processing unless the livestock is very small and they give the option of cryovac pkg for an extra fee (much cheaper to vac save in portions at home). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Edit: My buddy informed me the Sow yielded 630# of meat and at the hoof weighed around 820#  She was around 8' long. She would let ya ride her around. Was super friendly. And was delicious. 
    That's a big piggy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @SGH After speaking to my buddy the hole is likely from the hooks during hanging during processing. Not mechanically processed. Hand processed into primals, chops, belly, etc and then to variety of sausage if requested. 
    A large 1/2 diameter shank hook would no doubt inflict serious damage if ran through the ribs and carcass weight then applied. I'm just real curious why they would hook through the ribs. Makes one stop and ponder for a moment brother Husker.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks fantastic!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @dmw I'm not gonna lie. When Dave told me she was going in I got a little sad. She would eat right out of your hand. Very gentle giant. I like the fact the animals are kept clean and happy. It tasted happy to me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    If their are any "locals" that are interested he's buying up some more pig's $1 per # this wkend and then $ to raise up (feed, etc) + processing. I may buy one or do a half pig or something. Will gain roughly 3# a week with good feed on them. If your interested PM me. Serious inquiries only PLEASE. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014