Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New slicer in the barn

Options
I lucked out and picked up an older Globe commercial slicer (model 400) yesterday. A local butcher upgraded to new slicers and sold theirs off. My brother-in-law bought two (he runs a food truck) and decided since the first one he tried ran well, he didn't need the other. I got mine from him for $100 and the only issue I saw was that the bed adjustment (thickness adjustment) would not go thinner than 1/2" thick. I expected maybe a part was broken or something out of adjustment. This morning my wife (she's a trooper) and I spent about 30 minutes dismantling it and reassembling - a set screw was loose which was causing the whole issue. Now it moves up and down flawlessly. I'm so excited because I only really use a slicer for homemade bacon but the one I have been using is woefully undersized and frustrating to use because of it's lack of heft. That will no longer be an issue with this beast. So I am looking for knowledgeable people who have used these types of slicers for any tips or recommendations. Also, this one comes with a sharpener/hone that moves in an out of position but I have no understanding of how it would work. I went through Globe's archives but they only carry manuals back to model 500 and not further into the past. Anyone know how to sharpen using these? Thanks
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i can probably help with the sharpener. I have a 10" globe now and had a monster 12 7-8 years ago that I bought new for the shop I had. They both operate the same so yours may also.

Can you post a pic?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just saw a pic on the other thread. That thing is a beast! It's different than the 2 globes that I've had but I imagine it works much the same. The ones I have had the cap actually lifts and rotates to expose the blade to the 2 stones. The stone in the front is to create a burr and the stone on the back is to polish the burr off. so you press the button in the front and sparks and sh!t fly everywhere and it's cool. you do that until a burr is formed and then hit it with the stone in the back for 10-15 seconds or so until the burr is polished off. I need to sharpen mine right now so I'll take pics and post them here for you.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ok-
    see if this helps. 

First, there is a screw on the back of my sharpener assembly that you loosen. You then pull the assembly up so the stones can clear the blade and you rotate 180 degrees. 

The screw is sticking out from the back and the knob on top is to turn it  

Then lift, turn and push back down so you have one stone in front of the blade and one in the back of the blade. Should look something like this when you are done. Tighten the screw again so everything is locked in place. 

Then turn on the slicer and press hard on the front button for 20-30 seconds then turn blade off, run your finger up the back edge of the blade and see if you have developed a small burr. Once you have that, you turn it back on and press the back button fairly hard as well to polish off that burr. Mine took 20 seconds (I checked at 10 and it still had a small burr so I went another 10). I know this may sound silly but Always turn off the blade when checking the burr. If you don't respect these things they will take the tip of your finger in a flash. 

Front:

Back:

Then flip it all back around and secure it and you are ready to go with a spinning razor blade capable of massive damage. Careful out there!

hope this helps.  Yours is a little different but they all pretty much run on the same principle- at least the ones I have seen. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll add this to anyone who has one of these- If you do not get the chills a little when the blade is exposed like when sharpening or cleaning, you are not giving it the respect you should. I sent 2 people to the hospital when we had the deli and it was just inattention on their part. it happens fast and it cuts deep.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'll add this to anyone who has one of these- If you do not get the chills a little when the blade is exposed like when sharpening or cleaning, you are not giving it the respect you should. 
    Agree. Especially with one of the brutes made in the 70's and back. The older they get, the less safety (idiot) features that they have. This is actually a good thing though if you are knowledgeable and pay attention to detail. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'll add this to anyone who has one of these- If you do not get the chills a little when the blade is exposed like when sharpening or cleaning, you are not giving it the respect you should. 
    Agree. Especially with one of the brutes made in the 70's and back. The older they get, the less safety (idiot) features that they have. This is actually a good thing though if you are knowledgeable and pay attention to detail. 
    yep. Neither of these people were slicing meat. Never had even one tiny nip when slicing (dozens of different people and thousands of uses). One was cleaning and talking to someone else and the other was sharpening and not paying attn. Stitches for both.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Heritage Food Service or Parts Town would be my source besides some other local sources. Not sure if an acct is required. If it is and you're interested in this approach I'd be happy to assist and give you wholesale cost + shipping. PM if this is desired. Good Luck & FWIW that's a solid made unit that'll give you many years of use. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Heritage Food Service or Parts Town would be my source besides some other local sources. Not sure if an acct is required. If it is and you're interested in this approach I'd be happy to assist and give you wholesale cost + shipping. PM if this is desired. Good Luck & FWIW that's a solid made unit that'll give you many years of use. 
    ^^^^^^this is your guy. 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Thanks for the instructional. Mine looks quite a bit different but I will have to see how the stones line up. I have yet to take any pictures of it so if you saw a picture associated with me, I think it was me quoting someone who had one. I'll take some pics tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how old this one is. I'm guessing 40 years. It has a switch that when you close the blade up (thinnest setting), the motor turns off. Dangerous to me as you could be fannaggling with it when you adjust the slice width and all the sudden have the motor spring to life. I think I may remove the arm which contacts the switch to make sure I never leave it 'energized' by accident.
  • Hibby
    Options
  • Hibby
    Options
    My sharpener is different but similar to yours. I figured out how to use it yesterday. I think I got it sharp but haven't tried cutting anything yet. Looking forward to cutting homemade bacon on it among other things.