Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast 30 Degrees in Center

Options
13# rib roast thawed in fridge since Sunday.  Put on egg at noon at 250 and slid thermometer in center and is reading 30 degrees - thought it was completely thawed.  Was hoping to eat by 6 or 7.  Anyone have any suggestions or think this will significantly delay Christmas Eve dinner?  Thanks!

Comments

• Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Options
    Would cutting in half cut the cooking time?  HELP!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Once the length exceeds the diameter no change in cooking time for a roast.  So, you could cut it in half-to achieve double the ends and likely speed the cook a little.  I would guess you are looking at no more than 15-30 mins additional cook time, if that.  If you can time a roast within that window then you are way better at it than I and I have been hosing it up for a few decades. YMMV-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    you might see how it is going and adjust the temp up should it become necessary.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You'll be fine.  Keep cooking it low and slow.
    It is thawed. Meat won't freeze at 32
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would prefer this as it will help keep the IT lower and avoid overcooking. Carry on. 
  • Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks guys - up to 52 after 2.25 hours
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yep. You are fine. Finishing shots please.  Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Feenbo said:
     Put on egg at noon at 250 and slid thermometer in center and is reading 30 degrees - thought it was completely thawed.  
    Here is just some food for thought and something to ponder. Beef is "thawed" when it reaches 28F degrees internal in its deepest part. For the record, the same is not true for poultry. You are good my friend. Keep on keeping on. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.