Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size matters?

Options
A lot of comments about Rockwood having no large pieces.... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    +1. About half of my current bag is too big for my medium. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Uncle Apple, when I saw the title "Size matters", I just had to chime in because of the exceptionally large hammer that I swing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That there is RO size.
  • Lit
    Options
    It's big when you put an oscillating sander in the picture for proportion. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Damn @Lit
    yeah @SGH I walk with a limp too. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I am suddenly feeling very inadequate...... :s
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SGH
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Most of my life the ladies called me Thor. And not because I'm a Norse God ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    In other countries where you don't have the EPA, DNR, etc, you can make charcoal like that.  In the US you're never going to be able to take down trees for charcoal (or at least afford to), and start with huge chunks to begin with--gotta use slab wood here.  And those guys can slow burn without smoke burners--gotta hot/fast burn in the US because of the pull of the afterburner.  The huge chunks would be charred on the outside and still wood on the inside.  So, we do the best that we can.........since we can't just cut down every tree in our path and then pollute the air to make it into charcoal.  Lots of rules (rules that didn't take effect in Missouri until the late-90's after when the governor's family sold their charcoal plant.)
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @henapple ...Geeeeez-suuuusss man......I can't get that image of your AVATAR out my mind....I am damage for life....Key-rist

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    My nickname has always been tripod.  Not sure why.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    My nickname has always been tripod.  Not sure why.
    Really, really short legs. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    You guys are mean.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    It's funny that someone disagrees with my assessment of my current bag of lump. I buy the bags with hole in them for a reason. Golf ball sized lump doesn't tear a bag. 
  • Lit
    Options
    It's funny that someone disagrees with my assessment of my current bag of lump. I buy the bags with hole in them for a reason. Golf ball sized lump doesn't tear a bag. 
    All those pieces I posted above came out of the same bag of FOGO. Not one hole in the bag.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    All those pieces I posted above came out of the same bag of FOGO. Not one hole in the bag.
    @Lit, I'm glad to hear you don't have a hole in your bag.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @lit and @DoubleEgger

Can we hold this till Friday?  This could be good.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    An intact sac is important. 

@Ozzie_Isaac it's a short week. Wed should suffice. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I just realized that this thread was about lump size. I was confused at first. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I thought you were too cool for lump Lit. I thought you were a stick burner. 
  • Lit
    Options
    I thought you were too cool for lump Lit. I thought you were a stick burner. 
    I still use my eggs some and use lump to warm up my vertical. My bad I wanted to try to learn to cook on something else. I also use my kettle a lot maybe more than my eggs.
  • SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    SGH said:
    Uncle Apple, when I saw the title "Size matters", I just had to chime in because of the exceptionally large hammer that I swing. 
    Size 13 shoes, and XL gloves here...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've been getting huge chuncks in my bags lately.  I don't care either way as long as they are all bigger than briquettes.  Smaller pieces than that I don't like.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    Ha....when you guys can walk down a dirt road and leave three tracks.....that is some big lump.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    Options
    This young lady knows the deal ;)

Status- Standing by.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Lit said:
    It's big when you put an oscillating sander in the picture for proportion. 
    I'm sure glad you explained the proportion thing. I thought maybe you were sanding them down to make smaller pieces! 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just wondering what impact this could have on the Butt Blast in April? I would also think that Size Would Matter there also!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer