Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family style FI for the oldest kid

Options
my oldest daughter is home for turkey day. Cooked a flat iron on the black oval while the pork butt is rolling on the egg. Here it is. Coated with Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks!!

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @pgprescott How do you like the Oval?  Don't hear much about them, and curiosity is getting the best of me.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @pgprescott How do you like the Oval?  Don't hear much about them, and curiosity is getting the best of me.
    It's a great cooker. I had the egg first and it took a while to get used to the lighting and temp control. My egg is a large and gets the bulk of the work at my house. The oval is an XL and is huge. There are some features to the Primo which are nice due to the oval shape, like dividing the box and cooking direct and indirect at the same time. Also cooking indirect and offset. Not Neely as many cool gadgets for the promo, but that's not a Big deal to many people. If I had to choose one it would be the egg. Others might disagree though. I liken it to the argument of which brand of truck is best. Ask ten guys get many different answers.  
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Interesting POV, and appreciate the feedback. I do agree that there are less accessories for the Primo.  I like the concept of oval vs circular, but chose the egg due to the great warranty.

My next ceramic may be an Oval, but time will tell.  I also like the idea of two larges to share accessories.

Great looking steak btw, glad you got time with your daughter!

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Interesting POV, and appreciate the feedback. I do agree that there are less accessories for the Primo.  I like the concept of oval vs circular, but chose the egg due to the great warranty.

My next ceramic may be an Oval, but time will tell.  I also like the idea of two larges to share accessories.

Great looking steak btw, glad you got time with your daughter!

It's a great product. I will say that my only issue is that they make you pay shipping on warranty claims. I have Grid extenders and cast iron grates for the oval. Oh and a big rib rack. I think you can fit 9 racks in a rib rack on the XL. Egg on @RedSkip
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know how I missed this post, but I have seen it now. Damn dude, that looks insane!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Great looking FI, awesome. @RedSkip I have the large Oval it is a great grill/smoker. My MBGE grids fit the Oval 300, well at least half of it and Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store has some fantastic after market grids for the 400 (XL). The OEM grids have a support bar on them and although they are marketed as reversible, that is not the case IMO. No screen on the lower vent, it is easy to add one as a fire screen can be slid between the one piece fire box and the base. Really like the direct indirect cooking on one grill. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @pgprescott
    After farther review, and for the use of flat iron:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Beautiful plate, I'd destroy that FI. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You inspired me. First ever FI. Nice cut. My wife and ate the whole thing. Didn't do well with the documentation. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    You inspired me. First ever FI. Nice cut. My wife and ate the whole thing. Didn't do well with the documentation. 

Looks mighty fine. I use them for fajitas and chinese cooks as well. Very versatile. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well, we WERE gonna make fajitas with left overs as the boys don't like rare....
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Thanks all. One of our favorites and really simple.