Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 hour beef ribs

Options
Phatchris
Phatchris Posts: 1,726
I thought they would take me anywhere from 5-7 hrs so I put them on Sunday morning at 11:30 at 250... Figured we would eat around 7 or so.. To my surprise they went till 9:30 until 195IT and probed like buttah... Had them tonight for dinner, reheated at 300 in foil with a splash of beer and bbq sauce... All in all pretty good.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man they look great.  You are more patient than I am...I would have wrapped them in foil and kicked up the heat and had dinner at 9-10 PM :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Phatchris
    Options
    Man they look great.  You are more patient than I am...I would have wrapped them in foil and kicked up the heat and had dinner at 9-10 PM :)
    I wrapped when they hit 160 for an hour, still took forever.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Look great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I ordered ribs from the butcher today. I'll be making some on Saturday.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wow, I have never seen that happen. I have cooked probably 40 racks of those! Were you running like 225?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Phatchris
    Options
    225-250.. I've done them a few times and they took 6-7 hrs at 250ish no foil... I have no clue what was up with this rack. It had a thick fat cap that I trimmed. When they hit 160 I put then in a pan with beer and bbq sauce and covered for an hour, also bumped temp  to 300.. That took them to 175, then I took them out and ran them to 190 and probe tender in the hopes to save the bark. It took like 3 hours to get from 155-175.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited November 2015
    Options

That is surprising. FWIW, just yesterday I did two racks at 275 indirect, and it took almost exactly 4 hours to get them to 205. They were terrific.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good looking ribs mang!  Posted mine from Sunday that took right at a little over 11 hrs. Why did you wait till now to eat them almost two days later?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Good looking ribs mang!  Posted mine from Sunday that took right at a little over 11 hrs. Why did you wait till now to eat them almost two days later?  
    Just got late Sunday night, and then   yesterday ended up having a really late lunch so wasn't hungry for dinner. Still pretty good... Yours look killer by the way  =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanks. I don't know about you & your family but, we prefer these over their pork cousins all day everyday. Leftovers cubed into whatever works too...we were up late Sunday watching the game so there weren't any leftovers this time. :wink: 
    Yours look delicious! They can definitely surprise ya as far as how long they can take to be totally happy and like buttuh. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Mighty fine looking ribs brother Phat. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    This is why we egg. Awesome cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options
    Beef ribs are my very favorite.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Just got late Sunday night, and then   yesterday ended up having a really late lunch so wasn't hungry for dinner. Still pretty good... Yours look killer by the way  =)

There is NO chance this would happen to me, possibly I have a problem.  Not being hungry wouldn't stop me from obsessing about those ribs until consumed.
    Phoenix 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Those have become the fav around this egg.  Those sure look wonderful.  I too am really surprised about the timing on those.  I just did some last Sat. and they took just under 4 hrs. but they were split into two bones 250-275.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188316/an-egg-full-of-chuck-short-ribs#latest

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I run 275 on pretty much everything these days. Shorter times and same quality. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Thatgrimguy   Do you do brisket at that temp as well?  I've been hesitant to go over about 240
    Phoenix 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    They look great and are one of my favorite cooks.  Have you calibrated your thermometer recently?  I cook mine at around 250 and have never had them take more than 5-6 hours.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:

@Thatgrimguy   Do you do brisket at that temp as well?  I've been hesitant to go over about 240
    Absolutely. 
  • Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Shiff said:
    They look great and are one of my favorite cooks.  Have you calibrated your thermometer recently?  I cook mine at around 250 and have never had them take more than 5-6 hours.
    I haven't, but 90% of the time it's hotter than the thermometer temp.
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Thanks everyone  =)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This looks great. I've also had some take 10 hours as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Phatchris said:
     I have no clue what was up with this rack. 
    One look at the pic and the answer becomes crystal clear brother Phat as to why they took so long to cook. If you zoom in, it becomes even more clear.  Again great job all around my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.