Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boil em, mash em... Stick em in a stew

Options
The cooler nights inspired Sher-bear to ask for potato soup. Really easy. 

I bake them on the egg, heavy smoke and cool. I've started removing the skin but if you don't.. Try egging the bacon on a raised rack above the taters. 

Ci do... Add stick of butter, 2/3 apf, stir while slowly adding 7 cups of milk. I've used every kind and even a little half & half. Add the potatoes, handful of green onion, bacon, s&p,.. 
Once it thickens a little add 8oz of sour cream and 2 cups of cheese. I use sharp cheddar. 
I added chopped keibasa this time. 

If you'd like to use as a side dish or over some cornbread merely thicken the soup to a gravy consistency. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that sounds good!  

"Try egging the bacon on a raised rack above the taters. "
    You don't have to tell me twice.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good stuff Tony!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    What is 2/3 apf?  Looks great!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy... All purpose flour
  • GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    Oh, SAM!  Love LOTR!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Looks great, definitely going to make this. I love good baked potato soup.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dang dude...  That's a mans stew/soup/ anything you wanna call it!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We are soup Nazis most of the cooler parts of the year.  Gumbo, oyster stew, potato, you name it.  But give us any grief: "do you...do you have any...gumbo file, sir?"  A:  NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    Options

Sounds really great!  Can't wait until cooler weather arrives in KS so I can give it a try.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Bookmarked for a future cool weather weekend cook! 

Amazing as usual, Brother @Henapple!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@henapple Wow that is some great potato soup Tony. Brother, no BS, you do have skills.

But what is it with the bottled water, did you run out of PBR?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hotch said:

@henapple Wow that is some great potato soup Tony. Brother, no BS, you do have skills.

But what is it with the bottled water, did you run out of PBR?

Yes... I cried. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Everyone in a my family are soup eaters . maybe from growing up poor. Lol. Hard to beat some good soup. Never really thought of smoking the potatoes. Looks good. I'm gonna have to try that out.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks good @henapple!!  Thanks for posting the how 2s

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    How many potatoes?  Looks amazing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good stuff. The kid loves baked potato soup,  and I've been meaning to ask for this recipe for a while. Thanks! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Hello, I am new to the forum. I would like to bookmark this as well as other things I have seen here but I don't know how to do it. Can somebody please tell me the best way. I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wow that looks and sounds awesome!  Thanks for posting Tony!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Hello, I am new to the forum. I would like to bookmark this as well as other things I have seen here but I don't know how to do it. Can somebody please tell me the best way. I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.
    If you are in "Full View", simply touch the star off to the side of the thread title. It will turn yellow. To un bookmark it, simply touch it again. See the pic below, I book marked Antons post to demonstrate. See how the star is yellow. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Looks like a slam dunk to me Uncle Apple. Great cook. I'm starting to think that you are one of the Potato Gods ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• Moleman
    Options
    SGH, thanks for the information. And I will be able to find that again on my profile page? Thanks.
  • SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:
    SGH, thanks for the information. And I will be able to find that again on my profile page? Thanks.
    If you are asking about finding your bookmarks, once you bookmark something, the icon "Bookmarks" will appear off to the right under where you see New Discussion. If you do not have anything bookmarked, it will not be there.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:
    The first pic I do not have anything bookmarked. Hence the icon missing. The second pic I bookmarked Uncle Apples thread, notice under New Discussion that you now see the Bookmark icon.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Wow Scotty... You don't have ANY bookmarks?!?!  I have 141. How the heck have you not bookmarked anything!
  • SGH
    Options
    Wow Scotty... You don't have ANY bookmarks?!?!  I have 141. How the heck have you not bookmarked anything!
    To be honest, there have been numerous posts that I wish I would have bookmarked. But I just don't ever think to do it. Getting old and forgetful my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• Moleman
    Options
    Made 2 batches of this yesterday as per request. It freezes well and people ask for it this time of year. Appreciate the recipe.