Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fanning the fire

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
used the paper towel and oil to light the fire this weekend and used a trash bag full of air to light the fire, 750 degrees in 90 seconds, took 2 bags of air =)

Open up a trash bag. Swing it up and down. Or you can try “catching the air” by just moving in one direction with an open trash bag. It will be filled with air. twist off open end and hold tight. poke a hole in the lower corner and place corner in lower vent. squeeze bag and repeat if necessary. you can even save the bag for next time B)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I want to see that on YouTube
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    cool - besides it's better to be called a bagger than a blow hard! ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Yeah me too. I tried the paper towel thing a few times now and I find it sucks. 
    I roll it up as you say and put it in the lower vent and light it. I have used 1 sheet, 2 sheets. Layed it on top and lit. Sometimes it lights but when it does it takes twice as ling a a weber cube. I've only done it in the mini for " fast" weekday cooks. Does it eventually light, I'm sure it will, but for a fast heat up to cook a 5-7 minute steak it doesn't work like many have stated. 
    Unless im absolutely missing something. Let's see it happen. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Jstroke said:
    I roll it up as you say and put it in the lower vent and light it. I have used 1 sheet, 2 sheets. Layed it on top and lit. Sometimes it lights but when it does it takes twice as ling a a weber cube. I've only done it in the mini for " fast" weekday cooks. Does it eventually light, I'm sure it will, but for a fast heat up to cook a 5-7 minute steak it doesn't work like many have stated. 

if you put too much oil on the paper towel it doesnt work well. thats where most fail with that technique. i only light thru the lower vent on the mini, not on the large
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    closest i can find on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZ8lxQpPJc

fukahwee maine

• johnkitchens
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Jstroke said:

Put the paper towel down in the coals. I bet you will get a better result. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Jstroke said:

Put the paper towel down in the coals. I bet you will get a better result. 
    You mean to lay it on top and light? Done that. 
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Put the paper towel or starter cube down in the coals a little bit and make sure your bottom vent is open and keep the lid open for a few minutes.
    Danville, Il
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use the paper towels sometimes and have never had a problem.The first several times I just took a full sized paper towel, folded itin half and the twisted it like I was trying to wring it out. Then, I drizzled a little canola on it, placed it in the coals and partially covered it with lump. Lit it with a wooden match and walked away. Worked perfectly.

I also crammed a bunch of 'em in a large coffee can and poured a little oil in there. Whenever I need one, just twist it up and do as above. 

Never failed either way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I find the paper towel and oil to work well with some lump and not so much with some lump.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    You mean to lay it on top and light? Done that. 
    Are you literally laying it on top of the coals and lighting it? You have to cram it down into the coals and light it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @RRP, if your still looking for a cheap solution to fan the fire, this is as cheap as it gets. :hang_loose: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I use these to literally fan the flames:

Foldable, pocket size. Can fan a few fires before I invariably get too close and one bursts into flame.

No worries tho - a box of 4 dozen is only $11 so still cheaper than batteries.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    I don't know; they clash with my outfit.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    used the paper towel and oil to light the fire this weekend and used a trash bag full of air to light the fire, 750 degrees in 90 seconds, took 2 bags of air =)

Open up a trash bag. Swing it up and down. Or you can try “catching the air” by just moving in one direction with an open trash bag. It will be filled with air. twist off open end and hold tight. poke a hole in the lower corner and place corner in lower vent. squeeze bag and repeat if necessary. you can even save the bag for next time B)

To quote a wise man "you are such a friggin cowboy"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options

=)  raincoats, luggage, bbq fan,air mattress pump, lots of things to do with a trash bag B)
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

=)  raincoats, luggage, bbq fan,air mattress pump, lots of things to do with a trash bag B)
    Don't forget dead body transport when an old rug is unavailable.