Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-$hit doesn't just happen-

Options
I am the parent of a 24 year old male who has finally pushed too far.  He thinks the following( and has for quite awhile):
A.  things just happen.
B.  not my fault.
C.  I'm not accountable.

I am sure I am not alone and just as briskets his now 28 year old brother was much more reasonable. Venting on a Labor Day Monday.  Have a great day.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm a parent of a 28, 27 and 24 year old. I still kick their ass when the need arises. Does it do any good? Heck I don't know. But it makes me feel better. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    That was me until about 22 when I joined the the Air Force.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm a parent of a 28, 27 and 24 year old. I still kick their ass when the need arises. Does it do any good? Heck I don't know. But it makes me feel better. 
     PARTY MONSTER!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @lousucap, it may just be time for a come-to-Jesus meeting.
    Does he provide his own food, clothes, shelter?
    Maybe he should be given an opportunity to do so.

Best of luck, this is never an easy thing; I went through it with a daughter.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @jaydub58 - thanks for the insights.  I have had more "come-to-Jesus meetings than I can count".  And I will admit I have likely facilitated his behavior taking a page from what worked with his brother.  Just like the friggin cow...gotta keep grounded in the forum.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @jaydub58, totally identify with what you are saying.

It seems like the hardest lesson to help young kids learn these days is "Accepting Responsibility and Accountability. 

Took a little while for my son to learn this too.  He is 27 now and doing well.  When he turned 16 I told him that I was very happy to see him make it to his 16th birthday, because the doctor had expressed concern he wouldn't make it.  He looked really shocked and asked why.

I told him that the doctor was afraid that I would take him out before he turned 16.  I was 40 when he was born and fortunately for him I had matured enough to deal with it.

When he calls these days and talks about things he thinking of doing or buying or making yet another move, I tell him to do what makes him happy as long as he stays out my wallet.

We have reached a good understanding about things at this point.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Right there with you Lou, but you may appreciate this one.  24 yo son blew off 4 years at a pricey university.  Had the CTJ talk last summer.  Enlisted navy, nuke program, and his mother and I will watch him graduate A school next month in Charleston.  He's volunteered for subs following prototype.  Things just clicked for him in the navy.  Everyone involved is in a much, much better place now.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mine didn't choose the path I would have chosen for them.....but you know, as young adults, I am pround of both of mine. Eventually most of them find there way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

About two years ago, my oldest daughter was convinced that me & Wilma were the biggest doofuses in the world and gave us a lot of attitude about most everything.  I told her to start looking for an apartment and research what you will spend on utilities, groceries...etc.  I gave her the option to stay here, but only if the bull crap stopped PERMANENTLY!  If the bull crap returns, out you go.

She still lives here and things have been much better ever since.

Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @TN_Egger All the best to your son.  I'm sure he will do well if he has the drive.  The most difficult challenge will be " to get qualified"  once he lands on his first boat.  I've been out for 17 years but I would guess the challenge to become a part of the crew hasn't  changed that much.  A rite of passage that he will appreciate once on the "other side".  
    And yes, it is a young man's game.  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    As a parent of a newly minted teen, this is depressing. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @theyolksonyou - get ready for the ride.  And you think brisket is a challenge... but that's what we all signed up for.  Go forth and do great things..
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    In this case the yolk is on YOU lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    @Jeepster47 is very lucky.  I was and continue to be an angel.

I loved my 20s, but if I sure wish I could have had a few do overs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • sparky1
    Options
    SGH said:

31, 28 and 26.  Same here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am the parent of a 24 year old male who has finally pushed too far.  He thinks the following( and has for quite awhile):
    A.  things just happen.
    B.  not my fault.
    C.  I'm not accountable.

I am sure I am not alone and just as briskets his now 28 year old brother was much more reasonable. Venting on a Labor Day Monday.  Have a great day.

I've got 31 and 27. Exact same story man. I hear from the younger when he needs bail, money or something else. The older one is here like clockwork every Sunday and calls and texts through the week.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @TN_Egger All the best to your son.  I'm sure he will do well if he has the drive.  The most difficult challenge will be " to get qualified"  once he lands on his first boat.  I've been out for 17 years but I would guess the challenge to become a part of the crew hasn't  changed that much.  A rite of passage that he will appreciate once on the "other side".  
    And yes, it is a young man's game.  

Like the string across the hull?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Little_Steven- Been there, seen that,  and done that.
    Take 'her down, take 'her deep... too much fun.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    He should have turned around by 24 as most do by that age. I'd give him a month or two to find a job and find another place to live.  After that, kick him out.  You've done all you can at this point, if he is a healthy guy. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sparky1 said:
    SGH said:

31, 28 and 26.  Same here.
    Are you guys serious?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I've got a 27 year old son, who has given me a beautiful 6 year old granddaughter, that is the light of my life. Unfortunately, he didn't take responsibility for his actions until he was 26, he is doing fine now married ( not the baby momma), and is trying to atone for his missteps, so I'm hoping for the best! My 23 year old son has mental issues (mildly retarded and bi-polar) he will never be able to take care of himself, so we are resigned to the fact that we will be taking care of him as long as we are alive.  But our shining light is my 21 year old daughter, going to college, loves Jesus and has a very respectful and hard working boyfriend with a good future.  Long story short we try as parents, but can only do what we can do. We focus on the good things and continue to guide as best we can. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    At least you aren't the parents of an Atlanta college female who blew through her $100k college fund and can't finish school.  She whole heartedly blames her parents for this. She was whining on a local radio station that her folks refused to dip into their retirement to give her more money.