Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie wants to say Hi!

Options
Hello All,

I am CDPlaya brand new to the Big Green Egg and forum. So new it's still in the box. I am in Norco , Lousiana and have just bought my egg and cedar/ cypress hybrid table. I have it ready for finishing. I wil be using Man O War marine Spar gloss for the finish. It has been so Hot here , hard to get motivated ,so I may need some help ,inspiration. 

I currently using an Oklahoma Joe smoker pit, with tuning plates and other mods. No complaints so far. I have been watching plenty of Utube vids to get acclimated to this product. I like what I see so far. 

So i am open to suggestions to head me in the right direction. 

Thanks 

"One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
" Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The egg is easier to get hot than it is to cool down. Also a very tight and moist environment. I feel this lends to cooks taking less time than other cookers. Remember you bought a smoker, a grill, and a true convection oven, use it all! Welcome and enjoy!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You will find many other LA/MS eggers on the forum.  All of them have far more Egg and general cooking skills than I do! But skill notwithstanding, I love cooking on the Egg.  I'm in Metairie, BTW.  And it has been too darn hot to do just about anything!
    New Orleans LA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,508
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Chances are that any ceramic question you have will be answered somewhere within the following site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Give a good look some time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Welcome and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Dondgc

i went to a friends birthday party in Metairie off Clearview . The host had two eggs. One large and one small. I was so impressed I had to have one. 

Funny i guess...lol
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Thanks to all. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,543
    Options
    Welcome.. Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome. I think you will find this site and group of members are a wealth of knowledge.......some of it good too.  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  Let'r rip.
    Phoenix 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, get cookin, and posting.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Welcome to the family.  We'll be having a little egg festival in October in New Orleans, feel free to attend/participate.

I work in Saint Rose, not far from you.
    Options
    Welcome! Glad you are here! Don`t forget alcohol for the chef, it makes all cooks more fun.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Cook early and often! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

The egg is much easier than cooking on your offset.  But just like you took the time to use the tuning plates on the offset, when you do a slow, indirect cook on the egg, you will need to make sure that the meat is not in the line of direct heat flow.  Keep the meat in the silhouette of your heat blocker and/or add a drip pan for that purpose as well.

And, despite the proximity, you're better off staying away from @nolaegghead - unless of course you like the idea of ending up in prison or on a milk carton.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CDPlaya
    Options
    Thank for the warm welcome. Applied my first coat of Spar last night. Ready to sand with steel wool tonight.

did mention how Hot is is down here?   Lol
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    Welcome to the forum
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters