Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st crack at Beef Shoulder a success (Pics)

Options
My buddy and I have been talking about smoking a beef shoulder for quite a while now and we finally decided to pull the trigger… Picked up a 12lb beef shoulder from the local butcher last week and planned to smoke it on the egg for pulled beef this past weekend.

We injected with a water, AC vinegar and Frank’s red hot mixture and rubbed it down with Rudy’s Original beef run out of Texas. Smoked it with Pecan chunks and Hickory chips at 250-275 degrees for a total of 9 hours.

Went with my usual beef method – Straight smoke with occasional spritz of injection mix until internal temp reached 160-165. After that we beer braised covered in an aluminum foil pan until we hit an internal temp of 200. Once we hit 200, we uncovered the pan and did a light mop of Buz and Ned’s real bbq sauce for an extra 45 minutes or so until the temp reached 205. Probe went in like butter. FTC for 2 hours and then pulled. It was AMAZING!!!!

Brandy Station, VA Egghead

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks great. Nicely done sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Panathinaikos55
    Options
    Looks great... nice work.  Nice use of Frank's Red Hot, killer stuff.
  • ncaito
    ncaito Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks. First time I've tried it and it turned out pretty well. I think Aaron Franklin does the same thing for his pork butts.

• BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Looks like it turned out great! The pics look amazing!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that looks amazing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    I wish I had me a sammich out of that pan.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks really Delicious!  Nice view as well!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options
    Nice cook help me out or @SGH would that be considered part of a shoulder clod, not entire clod?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The "Clod" is something we actually see cooked here in  Texas... but many places in the country they're tough to find!!

It's magical piece of meat if you cook it right ...and it sounds like you did!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • ncaito
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Nice cook help me out or @SGH would that be considered part of a shoulder clod, not entire clod?

This was only part of the clod. I don't believe I could fit a whole shoulder clod onto my LBGE unfortunately. Would love to do one some time.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    What he has in the pic is a partically separated clod. The whole shoulder consists of 3 heads. In the pic you can see one whole head and the second head. I can't tell from the pic if the second head has been split or not. So he has at least one head and part of a second. Possibly two heads. But the third head has clearly been removed. For illustration purposes. A whole unseperated 33 pound clod:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice!  Gotta try that. Buz n Ned's?  That's a Richmond joint. Where are you?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @ncaito
    I forgot to say above, great job brother. Clod is far and away my favorite thing to cook. Hope that you enjoyed it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ncaito
    Options
    I'm in Brandy Station about an hour and a half northwest of Richmond. You?

• ncaito
    Options
    SGH said:
    @ncaito
    I forgot to say above, great job brother. Clod is far and away my favorite thing to cook. Hope that you enjoyed it. 
    Thank you sir. Really enjoyed smoking it and enjoyed eating it even more. Will absolutely do this again and hopefully a whole shoulder clod down the road.