Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cabinet Completed & Checked Out

Options
browntw79
browntw79 Posts: 16
edited July 2015 in EGG Table Forum

As promised, I wanted to share my design thoughts and lessons learned from my table build.  As noted in an earlier post (posted under browntw79), I was inspired to go crazy after seeing the tables of @cazzy and @PMG. I was especially impressed with @PMG’s build pictures. When I decided that I needed to replace my existing table I also decided to document the build for future wood working enthusiast that might be looking to build a BGE table.  Besides a few pages of rough sketches and dimension calculations I had no real plans other than some ideas.  I started with some simple specifications for this project to include:

• Can bear the weight of the concrete pad and the BGE
  • Table height of about 36” (personal preference)
  • Fits under a custom cover I had made for original stand
  • Fits within the deck bump out space (76” wide)
  • Is mobile enough to move around the deck
  • Has 3 to 4 drawers
  • Has an area that could take hot items without damaging the wood

The Frame (aka the Skeleton): I used stock pressure treated 2x4 lumber that I selected for straightness.  The PT lumber was extremely wet when I started with some of the 8 footers weighing close to 20 pounds.  I calculated the height of the BGE shelf with the plan of using a 16x16 inch concrete paver block.  My first revelation was this was quickly getting to be extremely heavy.  I used my Festool Domino 500Q jointer for all the frame joints with 10 x 50mm exterior grade Dominos.  All the joints were glued using Titebond III wood glue.  Even with the wet wood the glue appeared to create a solid bond.  Most of the joints include a long decking screw as well to hold them tight as the glue dried.

Redesign Note:  The largest weight bearing section of the table is the “cube” under the Egg.  If I were to do the design over I would use PT 1x4 for all the framing and only use 2x4 for the BGE shelf cube.

Exterior Wood:  After consulting with my local hardwood supplier (Colonial Hardwood in Springfield, VA) I selected to go with African Sapele that is a member of the mahogany family.  It is very dense weighing about 3.4 pounds per board foot (similar to red oak).  As you can see the featuring in the wood is stunning.  I had the mill shop plane and sand the boards I selected.  Started with a purchase of 100 bf based on some of those scribbled calculations.  I actually was pretty close to being correct.  All the boards were milled down to ¾” thickness.  I did end up going back to Colonial for a couple more pieces for the top and had them milled to 7/8” (which created another problem down stream).

For the Exterior Walls I decided to make 3 1/4” wide wanes coat slats with a V-notched tongue and groove that interlock on the sides and are tacked at the top and bottom with galvanized staples.  The effect of the wanes coating turned out very nice with the v-notch breaking up the visual difference between boards.

The Face Frame was fairly straightforward to assemble after I decided on the dimensions of the pieces.  Because I was covering “the Skeleton” I had to make some of the pieces wider than I would prefer.  I literally sat in front table one night for hours clamping on various sizes of boards to see what worked best.  I decided on making the two outside vertical pieces the same width for symmetry and I eliminated the cross member on “the skeleton’s” right side. 

Note:  I stained the concrete block with some walnut stain to allow it to blend into the cabinet better.

The Drawers:  Once the face frame was completed I knew the opening dimensions so I could work the drawers.  Last December I rebuilt all my drawers in our kitchen using half blind dovetails for the 5/8” maple boxes with a birch bottom.  I repeated this design for this table and used the Blum Tandem concealed full extension sliders with Blumotion (soft close) feature for all the drawers.  The slides are spec’d for up to 100 lbs so holding Eggcessories is no problem.  For the fronts, I had set aside some select pieces for appearance.  The fronts are simply rounded over with a 3/8” round-over bit and drilled for the stainless steel (288mm center-to-center) handles.  I have lined three of the drawer bottoms with a cork sheeting and the fourth with a non-slip kitchen drawer liner.  I will watch the drawers over time for any evidence of water damage.  I’m hoping to keep most water out of the drawer using three methods . . . .

1. Keep it covered with my Sunbrella custom cover (unfortunately my supplier is out of business)
  2. Wide lip on the top (2 ½ inches at the front)
  3. Metal flashing over the left drawer (below the concrete block)

For the Top I wanted two layers to form a 1 ½” top more for visual effects than strength.  At $8.00 bf (milled) I didn’t want to waste Sapele wood on the bottom layer.  I decided to build a frame for the bottom and then fill it in with cheaper poplar.  But I knew I wanted it to appear like two layers of Sapele at the opening for the Egg as well.  This ended up proving to be time consuming and tricky.  In the end wasting $8.00 bf for the center “core” might have been more economical.  On the top layer I needed only to factor in the framed area for the four granite tiles.  Once completed, I cut the circle for the Egg opening (based on calculations).  Next was time for finishing. 

Finish:  I started with sanding everything with 220 grit paper.  Then I applied two coats of Watco Teak Oil finish followed by two coats of marine grade spar vanish.  For the top I applied three coats but was not satisfied with the sheen.  I ended up lightly sanding it with 220 grit sandpaper and then spraying on two additional thin layers of spray vanish.  I am very please with the results.

LED Lighting:  I noticed several members had included various forms of lighting on their Egg.  I selected an outdoor 3528 daylight white LED tape.  I routed in a channel following the contour of the front edge and inserted bright white LED lights tied into a dimmer remote.  This provides great lighting at night to see in the drawers as well as an impressive visual effect at night.

Post Fit Check Modifications:  I dropped my large BGE in on Friday evening and opened it for the first time.  Ouch!  I had interference under the hinge marring that fine finish.  Crap!  Remember when I changed the thickness of the top’s upper layer?  Clearly I didn’t.  I ended up removing the concrete block and shimming it up and reinstalling the entire Egg.  I also was uncomfortable with the Egg opening and decide to cut out an additional ½” of radius.  At 21 ¾” diameter it provides me with ¾” to 1” of an air gap around the Egg.  I have also noticed the casters are hard to get rolling.  I might be switching them out for a set of 2” solid steel casters.

Water Test:  On the 4th of July, during my first smoke, the heavens above my house opened up and poured on my new creation during the smoke.  Surprisingly, there was only minimal water in the left drawer (my son claimed it was because I peaked three times) and none in the right drawers.  Design success?!?!  We will see.

Final Specifications:

Length:  71 ½”

Depth:  33”

Height:  37” 

Weight:  Very Heavy (estimate 400 to 500 lbs)

Power:  

• 120V outlet located inside near top drawer
  • 12V for LED Lighting
  • 5V for Stoker controller

Supplies List (Suppliers):

• 10 – 2” x 4” pressure treated pine (Home Depot)
  • 120 board feet – African Sapele (Colonial Hardwood)
  • 8 board feet – Poplar (Home Depot)
  • 20 board feet – Maple (Home Depot)
  • 4 – 12” x 12” Granite tiles, Ubatuba (Floors & Decors)
  • ¼” Backerboard (Home Depot)
  • Black silicone caulk (Floors & Decors)
  • 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights with power supply & RF dimmer (Amazon)
  • Big Green Egg large table nest
  • Custom Walnut Handle (AMLWoodart.com)
  • Tongue and Groove V-Notch Router Bit set (Amazon)
  • Festool Domino tenons, Sipo Mahogany (Local Woodcraft Store)
  • Polished Stainless Steel Starr “X” bottle opener (Amazon)
  • 6 – 3 inch 150-pound swivel polyurethane plate casters (Amazon)
  • 4 pairs of 21” Blum Tandem with Blumotion 563H sliders (Amazon)
  • 6 - Stainless Steel hooks (GreenBoatStuff.com)
  • 4 - Stainless Steel handles, 288mm center-to-center (CabinetParts.com)
  • 1 quart of Watco Teak Oil Finish (Home Depot)
  • 1 quart of System Three Marine Spar Varnish, Satin (Local Woodcraft Store)

Please check out the photos of all stages of the build on my Flickr page

Enjoy and good luck with any new builds this inspires!  Feel free to post questions or PM me.

Cheers!

Tom

P.S.  I managed to post this under my @browntw79 persona by accident; I meant to post it using my @EggHeadDad account.  Oops!  Too much beer last night perhaps?  

Tom 
Springfield, VA
Egghead Since 2010

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    When can you come south an build me one?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    That's a fantastic looking table man!  Thanks for all of the great detail you put into this post.  I really enjoyed reading about your project.  I don't think I could tackle that but I'm glad other people have woodworking skills that I don't have!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Freaking beautiful man!  All the more impressed that you did it yourself.  Great pics and write-up too!

I would consider putting some fire cloth (think that is the name) under the stone.  Even with my custom stand, I have nice dark spot on the base under my large.  Your paver will get hot and uniformly heat the base underneath.  Through time, this "could" slowly become a problem.  Better safe than sorry to protect your beautiful table!  

Again, incredible job man!!   :bow: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • browntw79
    Options
    cazzy said:

I would consider putting some fire cloth (think that is the name) under the stone. 
    Thanks.  Yours was the first stand that caught my eye and got my creativity juices flowing.  Thanks for the suggestion on the fire cloth.  I have seen it in Home Depot near the welding supplies.  Sounds like a project for next weekend.
    Tom 
    Springfield, VA
    Egghead Since 2010
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    browntw79 said:
    cazzy said:

I would consider putting some fire cloth (think that is the name) under the stone. 
    Thanks.  Yours was the first stand that caught my eye and got my creativity juices flowing.  Thanks for the suggestion on the fire cloth.  I have seen it in Home Depot near the welding supplies.  Sounds like a project for next weekend.
    Check with @PMG as I think he has tried a couple things.  I think he even got stainless trays, but I would avoid metal as that just transfers heat.  You need something to absorb heat.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • browntw79
    Options
    cazzy said:
    browntw79 said:
    cazzy said:

Check with @PMG as I think he has tried a couple things.  I think he even got stainless trays, but I would avoid metal as that just transfers heat.  You need something to absorb heat.  
    The BGE stand has the bottom off the concrete by about 1.5 to 2 inches and has plastic tips on the ends in contact with the pad.  I plan on monitoring the temperature inside the cabinet and at the stone for the first few cooks.
    Tom 
    Springfield, VA
    Egghead Since 2010
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Thing of beauty!!
    GWN
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    So many of you people are so blasted talented!  Awesome. 
    Best - Jack
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Beautiful table and nicely documented. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    That is a thing of beauty, sir.  Can you build me one for my XL?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • browntw79
    Options
    Can you build me one for my XL?  
    The wife says no business . . . she wants her garage back.  ;)
    Tom 
    Springfield, VA
    Egghead Since 2010
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    browntw79 said:
    Can you build me one for my XL?  
    The wife says no business . . . she wants her garage back.  ;)
    That's ok.  I have some good ideas, just need to get to work on them.  My truck would sit outside and leave room for the wife's car for sure.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    ummm, okay...wow!! Very nicely done. I know enough about wood working to be dangerous. I could never pull that off without losing my mind first. Nice job.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Beautiful craftsmanship - world class!  Too nice to leave that sucker outdoors.

I sure hate to see the egg closed in on 3 sides though, just seems like an invitation for trouble due to heat buildup.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Fantastic!
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice looking table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Great looking table.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    great write up, love to see a nighttime shot with the leds !!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for posting your build!  I looked at your flickr page the other day and it's a very good looking build.  Reminds me that I need to buy a bunch more clamps.  But you did a dang fine job on the table AND the writeup.

Edit:  Almost forgot... I'd be shocked if you have any heat issues since you are running a table nest on top of masonry.  Apply a heat blanket under there if it makes you feel better but I just can't see the need with that air gap and the thickness of your block.  It should have no problem absorbing and dissipating the convective heat off the legs.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    One of the nicest tables I have ever seen. I would love to see a picture of it at night with the LED lights on.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • EggHeadDad
    EggHeadDad Posts: 66
    Options
    Beautiful craftsmanship - world class!  Too nice to leave that sucker outdoors.

I sure hate to see the egg closed in on 3 sides though, just seems like an invitation for trouble due to heat buildup.
    Thanks.  I'm going to be monitoring the temperatures over the next few cooks to see the effects of the heat.
  • EggHeadDad
    Options

Ivanhoe said:
    great write up, love to see a nighttime shot with the leds !!

That is taken with no flash.  Really hard to tell but they are really bright.
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    More pictures with LEDs on taken near dusk.

The lights only become more effective the darker it gets.  They are actually distractingly bright when it's fully dark so the dimmer is a nice feature for toning the brightness down.

Lights the drawer up very well.

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    @Ivanhoe - here are some additional LED pictures for you.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    That's one bada** table. Wish I had the woodworking skills to create that!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Where's the dimmer controls located?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    This is one of, if not the nicest table I have seen to date.  Great job!
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Cool EHD !!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • chadgremillion
    Options
    One of the nicest tables I have seen... My BGE XL will be delivered next week and the table is the main thing I want to compliment it with.... Great ideas on here. Love the LED's... About how much did it run to construct?
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    That is crazy beautiful, and the LEDs are awesome!