Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I cook Beef Shoulder Like Travis Brisket

Options
GoldenQ
GoldenQ Posts: 566

I am going to try my first beef shoulder.  I am planning to cook it like a Travis Brisket unless that would be wrong or get some better suggestions.

Please advise

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    absolutely

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    GoldenQ said:

I am going to try my first beef shoulder.  

A question if I may brother Golden. The term "beef shoulder" gets used rather loosely from time to time.  As such, my question is, are you cooking a whole unseperated beef shoulder? If so, I will be watching closely. It's my favorite thing to cook. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    GoldenQ said:

Here is a whole, unadulterated, 33 pound beef shoulder in the raw that I did some time back. Again, they are my favorite thing to cook. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm doing a clod as my first cook when I get a shirley.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    I hope to be standing there watching. 

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Man I want the new square patio version. Sucks it's a 6 month wait.
  • SGH
    Options
    GoldenQ said:

When is this cook happening my friend? Want to be sure that I see it.  

Status- Standing by.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    It will be just after the fourth.  We have friend for 4th and they want brisket so I will try it next week.  It is only about 15 pounds but looks like your picture SGH.   Thanks for comments.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SGH
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    It will be just after the fourth.  
    I will be standing by for the finale and I wish you good luck with the cook.  

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options