Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Egg Breakfasts - Pt. 1 - Breakfast Pudding

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
Life has not left me much time to get out to my Eggs, but I take my opportunities when they come. I haven't been able to do my usual family dinner for my parents, but I have been able to do some mid-morning brunches. This is the first of two such meals I will post. Both are from Fred Thompson's The Kamado Grill Cookbook. This recipe is called Breakfast Pudding and the other one I will post is called Pancetta Frittata. Onto the Breakfast Pudding pictures. 

Step 1 was to make some some buttermilk biscuits. I was short on time so I didn't make my own, I used some store-bought biscuits.

The rest of the ingredients were: 6 Eggs beaten, a blend of Gruyere and cheddar cheese shredded, heavy cream, all-purpose flour and some breakfast sausage links with the casing removed. I used maple flavored sausages.

The sausage is browned in a sauté pan.

The all-purpose flour was added to the sausage and mixed together.

After the flour was mixed in, the sausage was browned for one last minute.

The heavy cream was added in slowly and the mixture was heated until the cream thickened and formed a gravy.

The buttermilk biscuits were placed in a 9"x13" baking dish.

The sauste and gravy mixture was poured over the buttermilk biscuits.

The eggs were poured over the biscuits and gravy.

Some more crumbled buttermilk biscuit were added next.

The last step was to add the shredded Gruyere and cheddar cheese.

I set my baking Egg up for indirect grilling using the Adjustable Rig with the oval pizza stone. I had the s/s grill grid at the top (Level 6) which raised it up into the dome.

After 25 minutes the dish was done.

The breakfast pudding was really delicious. I served it with some more buttermilk biscuits as well as some maple syrup on the side. The maple flavored sausage was perfect for this dish. This dish is relatively quick and easy to make and I plan to make it fairly often.

See also Pancetta Frittata the second breakfast entry I made a week later.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    LIKE!!  LIKE!!  LIKE!!   :o
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have some buttermilk in the fridge that is screaming to become biscuits - You have provided some unreal inspiration, excellent easy cook - mine will look nowhere near as nice as yours, but will give it a try. Thanks for sharing, don't wait so long for the next one!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! This was definitely one of those dishes where the end results were better than the sum of the individual items.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Very nice looking cook that I might just have to "borrow" next time I'm in charge of brunch. Is it just the angle of the photo that makes it look like the dish is too large for the done to close?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    @Scottborasjr thanks. The dish is a 9"x13" pyrex baking dish. It fits fine on a LBGE using the platesetter legs up or the AR with the grid on Level 6 which puts it about 1 3/4" above the felt line. It is close on the AR, so you do need to get it centered, but it does fit and let the lid fully close.

Those of you attempting this yourselves: give it a 10 minute rest after it is done.