Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hell Yeah...Aaron won!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
I thought about not posting this because Aaron Franklin doesn't cook on an egg.  :tongue: 

Freaking huge...Aaron won a James Beard award tonight.  This is huge for barbecue and for Texas.  Well deserved!

http://dining.blog.austin360.com/2015/05/04/aaron-franklin-wins-james-beard-award-for-best-chef-southwest/
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I thought about not posting this because Aaron Franklin doesn't cook on an egg.  :tongue: 

You are correct. If you look carefully with a astute eye when watching some of his videos that were shot at his home, you will clearly see a Kamdo Joe in the background. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    That is awesome .. congrats Aaron!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Very cool!  Not that he needs the visibility, but it's great to get this kind of recognition.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:

You are correct. If you look carefully with a astute eye when watching some of his videos that were shot at his home, you will clearly see a Kamdo Joe in the background. 
    Thanks Scottie!  Us young whippersnappers just don't notice the small details like you old timers.
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Thanks Scottie!  Us young whippersnappers just don't notice the small details like you old timers.
    All jokes aside, there really is a shot of a red kamado in one of his videos. He is not cooking on it, but it's there. May just be to set the stage if you will. This weekend I will find it and screen shot it. It did make me wonder if he uses it for home and small cooks though. When pressed for time, firing up the ole offset gets old pretty fast. Wouldn't it be something if one of his future videos featured a ceramic cooker. BGE stock would rival Apples over night!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    All jokes aside, there really is a shot of a red kamado in one of his videos. He is not cooking on it, but it's there. May just be to set the stage if you will. This weekend I will find it and screen shot it. It did make me wonder if he uses it for home and small cooks though. When pressed for time, firing up the ole offset gets old pretty fast. Wouldn't it be something if one of his future videos featured a ceramic cooker. BGE stock would rival Apples over night!!
    That's why I want a mini.  I think it will compliment the Vault and might allow me qualify some of my cooks for this forum. Lol
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    That's why I want a mini.  I think it will compliment the Vault and might allow me qualify some of my cooks for this forum. Lol
    Brother I love the little mini. Sure it's limited on size and capacity. However as far as searing, I have found nothing better. Tell you something else I just picked up that you may want look at if you want to save some bucks. A Weber jumbo Joe for 39 bucks at Home Depot. I don't like transporting my ceramics so I bought it. It actually does a heck of a job and is very, very portable. It's not a egg but a great little grill all the same. Especially for the price.  

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm really not sure how we even heard of this Franklin guy in the first place if he doesn't cook on an Egg.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    He has a compound and he sells t-shirts

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I love t-shirts
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Legume said:

Wow, I wonder what is going on at the AFB compound tonight...  ;)
  • cazzy
    Options

SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    Brother I love the little mini. Sure it's limited on size and capacity. However as far as searing, I have found nothing better. Tell you something else I just picked up that you may want look at if you want to save some bucks. A Weber jumbo Joe for 39 bucks at Home Depot. I don't like transporting my ceramics so I bought it. It actually does a heck of a job and is very, very portable. It's not a egg but a great little grill all the same. Especially for the price.  
    I'll check it out.  That might work as a temporary solution.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

Man I love me some Franklin, but he got a little Hipster-ugly-clothes carried away with that shirt.   
  • Legume
    Options
    Great, now we have to look at it twice.  Thanks JIC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Great, now we have to look at it twice.  Thanks JIC
    You're the one who posted it in the first place you jackbutt.  
  • Legume
    Options
    You said butt.
  • theoldguy
    theoldguy Posts: 28
    Options

@JohnInCarolina I think @Legume said that you said butt..

It makes....Mike Hauchertz

Do you ever have a constructive comment or post you idiot?
    XL- AR Lethbridge County, Alberta
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What the hell.........? Caz you let your posts get away from you like this. I am going to wake-up VI and he is going to **** slap you. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @SGH - Check here (at about 58 seconds).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ah I remember now...I think the concept is that he's going to show how to cook on several different types of cookers.   He doesn't eat barbecue anymore...at least not on purpose.  He told me he prefers sushi when I met with him.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Did he win for his new book?
  • cazzy
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Did he win for his new book?
    No.  Best Chef Southwest.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Ah I remember now...I think the concept is that he's going to show how to cook on several different types of cookers.   He doesn't eat barbecue anymore...at least not on purpose.  He told me he prefers sushi when I met with him.
    I have seen him eat BBQ on Pitmasters :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I have seen him eat BBQ on Pitmasters :P. 
    Lol...I'm talking about in his private life with his wife Stacey.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What a great achievement!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    The lines can't get any longer can they? :)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Props to him. He worked his a$$ off to get where he is today. Respect
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL