Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

have always wondered (butts)

Options
if you have a 18lb. butt or two 9lb butts is the cook time considered the same ?? because a 9lbr could only be 9 hour cook right? so; if you two have two of them is it still around 9 hours or is it considered 18 total lbs and a 18 hour cook time ?

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cook time would be twice as much for the hypothetical, whole 18 pounder, when compared to cooking two 9 pounders.  When cooking two 9 pounders, treat expected cook times as if each were being cooked separately (of course, butts of the same weight can vary some in cook times).
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    OK that's what I was thinking @mahenryak but i needed clarification :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Glad I could help.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    They will be similar cook times, however each is different as the connective tissue, bone, and fat are always different for butts.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont think you can compare the two because an 18 pounder would more likely be a whole shoulder and not a butt. 9 pounders typically go 16 to 18 hours for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    To emphasize, just because you have two butts that are about the same weight, they can finish as much as an hour or two apart.  Each hunk behaves on it's own throughout the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    To emphasize, just because you have two butts that are about the same weight, they can finish as much as an hour or two apart.  Each hunk behaves on it's own throughout the cook. 
    Exactly. Plan on finishing at least several hours before you need to pull. If the butts have a difference in finishing time, they will keep FTC’d until you are ready. An hour or two different in the cooler will not matter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    i dont think you can compare the two because an 18 pounder would more likely be a whole shoulder and not a butt. 9 pounders typically go 16 to 18 hours for me

this was / is definitely a Butt :) 17.96lbs.

• fishlessman
    Options
    thats huge =) butts based on a size of 7 to 9 take me approx 2 hours a pound but im guessing with that size it might go less, maybe about 1.5 hours per pound at my cooking temps
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    its not one of those packaged costco butts, usually two fall out of the package when opened
    fukahwee maine

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Negative @fishlessman I got them from a meat / butcher in Jacksonville Houstons Meats great prices good folks :) 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We must see a picture of this 18 lb butt!  

Although I'm with @Fishlessman ...betting it is a whole shoulder or a 2 pack of butts. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's a massive butt at 18#.  The green ham I cured was around that weight. I normally buy butts in 2 packs at Sam's Club and usually each weighs 8#-10#.  Where in Jax butcher?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    @nphuskerfl on hwy 17 just before the 295 n / s on ramp ... If your familiar with the new  river city shopping area it's by that north Jax also close to airport 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    And you guys are correct two butts 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    4- 41/2. Lb 

• BigGreenGator
    Options

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Gonna break in the new CGW 2 tier 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Fixings are bought and on ready 5

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yep I'm very familiar with RiverCity Marketplace. Have a few accounts over there. This should be a great time for your employees. Good on ya man :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Round one complete and in the cooler ... Round two up to bat :) 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good!  That is a lot of ribs.  I love it when a plan comes together. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    Looking good!  That is a lot of ribs.  I love it when a plan comes together. 
    So far so good smokey ;) I have 27 folks coming over just hope it's enough ;) 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Hoping something breaks out in Yulee, Fernandina or Amelia Island.  I'll be party crashing like a pro. Looks great man! :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's a little pic of some of the buffet :)