Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's best to start lump charcoal

Options
I've been using the starter squares from bge to start the lump but just wondering what most of you start yours with?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Weedburner
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mapp torch (actually with a propane canister at the moment)). Have also used paper towels with oil which also works well and no sparking. I have a box of starter cubes, but haven't used one in years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thermonuclear weapons
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Electric starter
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Electric starter here in Florida never starter fluid will destroy flavor of egg
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Electric Starter

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    The Looftlighter works great for me, very fast lighting with no starter cubes.
    Large BGE
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Looftlighter..love mine

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Weed torch 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Paper towel + veg oil
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Paper towel and veggie oil. Works great!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    BGE starter blocks. No fuss,cheap and easy!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I use a Bernzomatic weed burner .. the long handle lets you light the lump from a safe distance: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZA0F/

I normally use a cheap propane canister used for camping that I buy from Home Depot/Lowes

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've always like to use fire....lol. Actually it depends I've used my chimney and a parafane cube or paper for high temp cooks .  If doing it in the egg  for low and slow I like to place one weber cube in the middle and start it.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Propane torch, it has the pezzo ignitor.  Super quick to get the fire lit.  No electrical cords, no lighter, quick and easy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Mapp tourch. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Mthead7
    Mthead7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Looft lighter. Love that thing!
    Medium BGE. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I use generic starter cubes that come a gross to a box for like 10 bucks. I've done oil on paper towel and that works fine. Likely going to get a torch when the box of starters runs out. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    MAPP torch for me. 

@DMW
    https://youtu.be/ecPeSmF_ikc
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I either use a butane torch or BGE starter cubes.   I prefer the starter cubes.   I am cheap so I cut each cube in 4 pieces.   For regular cooks, I just use one cube; for low and slow, I use 3 cubes.

Options
    This has been my progression since I bought my eggs:

BGE starter cubes (too slow for me)
    Papertowel soaked in oil (too slow and sometimes it didn't work)
    Heat Gun (worked great, but had to plug it in)
    Mapp Torch (works great, but sometimes I get popped with a hot ember)

I am sticking with the Mapp torch. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SwampBadger
    Options

It depends.  I vary between a MAPP torch; a Looftlighter (not when it's -20 out); a cheapie Harbor Freight heat gun; a starter cube; leftover paper towel after cooking bacon (got that brilliant idea from someone here); cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol; a shovel of embers from the fire pit; charcoal chimney; it just depends.  They all work.  I think it really depends on how fast you want to get up to temp, what style of cook you're doing, and what your time constraints are.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    This has been my progression since I bought my eggs:

BGE starter cubes (too slow for me)
    Papertowel soaked in oil (too slow and sometimes it didn't work)
    Heat Gun (worked great, but had to plug it in)
    Mapp Torch (works great, but sometimes I get popped with a hot ember)

I am sticking with the Mapp torch. 
    speed wise it makes a huge difference to have the papertowels soaked ahead instead of the day your lighting. soaked ahead its almost as fast as the weedburner and much faster than mapp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I'm like others here - I started with the BGE cubes, found a cheap knock off at the Dollar store and use those for low and slow where I want it to come up to temp slowly.

I tried the oil soaked napkin and it works but is as slow or slower than the starter cubes (I always worried about burying the napkin like the starter cubes)

I got a looftlighter and use it a fair bit but have melted the guard at the end so not sure how long it is going to last now.

Then I got the Harbor Freight weed burner and I am very happy with it!  I used to have issues trying to cook weeknights by the time the fire was ready.  This thing takes care of that.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    speed wise it makes a huge difference to have the papertowels soaked ahead instead of the day your lighting. soaked ahead its almost as fast as the weedburner and much faster than mapp
    I bet that was my problem. I would pour oil on the papertowel in the house and immediately walk outside and light it. 

That makes sense that it would work better if I had some soaked ahead of time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Count me as another electric starter.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I will echo what @BigWader indicated.  I had inconsistent results with those cubes.  

Now, a weeknight cook goes like this: 

1 - Enter garage
    2 - Light Egg
    3 - Go back in 
    4 - Change clothes
    5 - Go back to check EGG
    6 - Adjust

At point 5 it is usually at or nearing grilling temp.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site