Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mmmmmmmm hot and juicy sausage. Wanna see mine?

Options
Made 10 lbs of Jalapeno and cheddar, and 15 lbs of Polish sausage this weekend. Cryoed the Jalapeño Saturday. I cold smoked the Polish yesterday and let it settle overnight and just put that into cryo. I love doing this stuff. 

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    That's a lot of meat!  I bet it ships well if you want my address just let me know  =)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    OK, how long does it take you to eat that much sausage - or do you do it as a hobby? Looks pretty impressive. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    OK, how long does it take you to eat that much sausage - or do you do it as a hobby? Looks pretty impressive. 
    My wife and I definitely won't eat all of it. All my buddies love it when I make stuff like this and the bacon, meat sticks. etc. I enjoy making it. A lot. I just charge them cost for it. You can't get good sausage anymore. I do flavoured bacon. They don't sell that stuff in stores. Now I got friends that only buy my bacon.  
  • hondabbq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Going to do a 3 or 4 brisket  run of MSM soon. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @hapster will show you his sausage. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @hapster will show you his sausage. 
    @henapple will show you his wrapped in bacon
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Made 10 lbs of Jalapeno and cheddar, and 15 lbs of Polish sausage this weekend. Cryoed the Jalapeño Saturday. I cold smoked the Polish yesterday and let it settle overnight and just put that into cryo. I love doing this stuff. 
    So how cold does your freezer go if you are cryoing your sausage?
    Are you using liquid nitrogen, or something colder?

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like to hide my sausage.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Something like this Fred?

• hondabbq
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    hondabbq said:

Lol just a standard chest freezer. 
    Why do you ask that?

• Zmokin
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Zmokin said:
    hondabbq said:

Lol just a standard chest freezer. 
    Why do you ask that?

Cryo (short for cryogenics), normally refers to -150C and below.
    Looking at your pics again, I'm wondering if you meant you vacuum-packed your sausage.

• hondabbq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know what cryogenics are.
    Yes because most of us have the ability to that at home. 

You couldnt clue clue into that looking at the pics the first time? 
  • Legume
    edited April 2015
    Options
    so, as in cryovac?

edit.  I just want to say I'm glad this was cleared up before I went and sourced some liquid nitrogen because the forum said I had to have it.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Legume said:
    so, as in cryovac?

edit.  I just want to say I'm glad this was cleared up before I went and sourced some liquid nitrogen because the forum said I had to have it.

I will clear this up.

I placed the sausages in a Food Saver bag and used the Food Saver machine to CRYOVAC the sausages in question. I then proceeded down the stairs to my chest freezer that is held at about -18C and placed them there for freezing.

I am glad you didn't succumb to the peer pressure and source out some cryogenic materials. LOL.
  • Legume
    Options
    you know, I was thinking that could be some brutal shrinkage with liquid nitrogen, maybe no tuck needed
  • Zmokin
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Legume said:
    so, as in cryovac?

I will clear this up.

I placed the sausages in a Food Saver bag and used the Food Saver machine to CRYOVAC the sausages in question. I then proceeded down the stairs to my chest freezer that is held at about -18C and placed them there for freezing.

I am glad you didn't succumb to the peer pressure and source out some cryogenic materials. LOL.
    Well, excuse the eff out of me for never having heard of the brand name CRYOVAC, for me, the term cryo always has meant extreme cold, sorry for my misunderstanding.

And I never said anyone should go buy liquid nitrogen, I never applied peer pressure for people to do so, I asked what I thought was a legitimate question, but obviously that action gets mocked and harassed on this forum.

• Legume
    Options
    sorry, my bac is a little low, I didn't mean to be mean.

I really meant to mock the entire forum with the liquid nitrogen comment - the peer pressure here to buy stuff is an ongoing source of entertainment.  It's clear you weren't suggesting that.

I was mocking Fred just a little with the sausage comment, but just a little.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Legume said:
    so, as in cryovac?

Now that is flippen funny...Great sense of humor.. :)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Options
    I will say this in all seriousness... @johnmitchellis a Great American!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Legume said:
    Something like this Fred?

That picture is so wrong on many levels!
    Flint, Michigan
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    hondabbq said:
    Legume said:
    so, as in cryovac?

I will clear this up.

Well, excuse the eff out of me for never having heard of the brand name CRYOVAC, for me, the term cryo always has meant extreme cold, sorry for my misunderstanding.

And I never said anyone should go buy liquid nitrogen, I never applied peer pressure for people to do so, I asked what I thought was a legitimate question, but obviously that action gets mocked and harassed on this forum.

Cryovac

noun

a registered trademark for a process in which meat is sealed in plastic, the air removed by a vacuum pump; also the thermoplastic resin wrapping film which can be heat-shrunk onto foods

Now we can say we all learned something today.

• Zmokin
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Cryovac

noun

a registered trademark for a process in which meat is sealed in plastic, the air removed by a vacuum pump; also the thermoplastic resin wrapping film which can be heat-shrunk onto foods

Now we can say we all learned something today.

Well, I see Geroge Orwell's 1984 is alive and well.  Not only is the government and the media creating doublespeak to twist the meanings of words, but corporate america is jumping in on the action as well.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Anyway, the sausage looks good!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia