Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good sausage in San Antonio

Options
Need a little help. Maybe @cazzy or @foghorn can weigh in. Sister in law is turning 50 at the end of the month and my brother in law is looking for some great sausage to cook for the barbecue. They live in Bandera. He works in SA. Where between downtown and Bandera can he find a great sausage? I would drive to Lockhart for some Kreuz sausage. But he said that's too far to go. Any suggestions? Anything in Castroville or on the west side of town? Bolner's would be too expensive.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Its a little out of the way to Bandera but Klein Smokehaus in Boerne has good products.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    The Southside Sausage that I picked up from Costco a few years back is still the best I've bought locally.  Haven't found it since.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • greenenvy
    Options

Bolner's Meat Market just north of downtown. Their website is ****, so I'll provide the Yelp link instead:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bolners-grocery-and-meat-market-san-Antonio

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Elgin Southside Market says their stuff is available in Austin area HEBs. Wonder if any of our friends in the area can confirm...

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Go to HEB and buy the fresh Jalapeño & Chedder. Note, get the fresh ground. Not over hot and I think it will run with anyone's sausage. This is under HEB brand. Go to the meat department.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CowtownEgger
    Options
    Elgin stuff is legit.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    GQuiz said:

Elgin Southside Market says their stuff is available in Austin area HEBs. Wonder if any of our friends in the area can confirm...

I can confirm that.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Check out Dziuk's Meat Market in Castroville. I've only bought their dried meats because I can't get the fresh meat on a plane. Their sausage looks really good.

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

Sorry, I'm no help.  HEB has a good selection and I usually just get whatever flavor seems tasty, but I don't have a specific favorite.   

If you're looking for brats go with Johnsonville Originals. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CowtownEgger
    Options
    I cooked some Slovaceks with my beef ribs for the Superbowl. It was tasty too
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University