Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Creme Brulée

Tixunau
Tixunau Posts: 71
edited January 2015 in Off Topic

Got a SV machine this past Xmas. I did a few cooks since but my latest was dessert. Followed ChefSteps receipe and method to the T.

Turns out very good. Moist, creamy and very intense flavour compare to the typical baking method. The only think I would chnage next time around is less sugar.

Cheers!

Comments

• ok- yes, yes, yes. I'm a chef steps guy too (great site). I'm all over this.

Thanks!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Bravo! Had not seen anyone do SV desserts yet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Tell me more about this! Less sugar in the mixture or on top?

Link to the recipe please... I saw Baldwin's video handling hot bags and I thought ok... but this is great - serving containers ready to go!!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71

@paqman. I would put less sugar in the creme brulee itself. I only put a very thin layer on the iop for the caramel.

@bigWader. Check out:http://www.chefsteps.com/gallery. Lots good recipes and loved the way how they 'modernized' the way they cook food.

Cheers!

• paqman
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for posting this @Tixunau‌ !

I tested the recipe tonight and it is spectacular!!! I followed the recipe (weighting all ingredients) and I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Fantastic!

imageimageimageimageimage

Dam you sous vide
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    OK, I want to do this, where do you get those short jars?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    edited January 2015
    I got them at Canadian Tire... Probably not going to help you...

paqman said:
    I got them at Canadian Tire
    Thanks, Chefsteps has an amazon link in the recipe to them I missed last time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    Doing it again:

imageimage

Holy ****! I love creme brûlée. Now if only I had a SV. :-S
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    I have FOUND my next SV adventure. Inspirational. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I need to do this. I'm a big Chefsteps turkey fan!
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    My jars should arrive today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• paqman
    Using mason jars in the sous vide is a genius idea... I still can't believe I did not think about it before. Next step for me is to do a foie gras crème brûlée and try an iced cream mixture sous vide in a larger mason jar.

I see a lot of angel cake and meringue in my future. :)

@paqman - Fantastic job mate! Well done!!!

I thinking about doing their 'flan caramel' but need to buy some jars. I didn't know that you can get those one at Canadian Tire. Would have save me some shipping cost buying it online.

Can't wait to see your foie gras creme brulee next!!

Cheers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I'm thinking of vacuum sealing jars/cups with Foodsaver or chamber sealer.
    canuckland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Awesome cook & thanks for turning me on to the website.  Video was great, well until the very end.  Then it got weird.  

Anyway, gotta get a torch but it looks like I got my valentines day dinner figured out now!  Do you all suggest the BernzOmatic TS8000?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • paqman

I'm thinking of vacuum sealing jars/cups with Foodsaver or chamber sealer.

@Canugghead - that would work if you could find a way to lower the container straight down in the hot water bath without spilling the mixture between the edge of the ceramic container and the plastic bag...

With the leftover egg whites, I baked this angel food cake:

imageimageimageimage

Yes, I realize that this thread is >2 years old.

BUT, I'm thinking of making some SV creme brulee today, and have some questions

1. How many 4oz mason jar servings will the chefsteps recipe make?
    2. Was it too sweet as the OP thought? I'll probably end up decreasing the sugar based on the comments above. 

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• @caliking I am so not sorry you dug this zombie up.

Trying next week.  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    That looks delicious , but is it better than chocolate pots de creme?

Sorry no finished pictures, but the recipe is on here somewhere. Best desert I've ever made

s?

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @caliking you'll need a lot of 4 oz jars. I'd guess at least 8.  The small size will be nice though. I have bigger jars and the portions were too much. 

I didnt find the ChefSteps recipe too sweet. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    slovelad said:
    That looks delicious , but is it better than chocolate pots de creme?

Sorry no finished pictures, but the recipe is on here somewhere. Best desert I've ever made

s?

JIC's pots de creme recipe is fantastic. Want to try something different though, and everyone here loves creme brulee.

• caliking
    blind99 said:
    @caliking you'll need a lot of 4 oz jars. I'd guess at least 8.  The small size will be nice though. I have bigger jars and the portions were too much. 

Crap. I already did these. Made half the recipe and decreased the sugar to 30g.  Filled 5 x4oz jars. We'll see how they turn out, as they are currently cooling in the fridge.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:

Crap. I already did these. Made half the recipe and decreased the sugar to 30g.  Filled 5 x4oz jars. We'll see how they turn out, as they are currently cooling in the fridge.

Please do follow up. Love creme brûlée and I now do have the SV, but been making pots. Chocolate and salted caramel. Need to get in this. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:

I bet they'll still be good. Did you add any vanilla to it? A tablespoon or so adds a good flavor. 

On the topic of custards I did the NY times ice cream recipe last weekend and it was awesome. Can't wait to do it again with fresh fruit. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle