Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

galumpkis and other non bge cooks

Options
seen two cooks on the forum last week off cabbage rolls and lemon chicken. i ate alot of those cabbage rolls growing up so this weekend made the big pot. also did the lemon chicken piccata with capers and liked it so much did a repeat with pork loin chops. also found that the lodge dutch cover fits nicely on a lodge sk10 skillet

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Love me some galumpkis!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I may need to try my hand at cabbage rolls. They look delicious!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Never heard of it, but it looks delicious.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Care to share your galumpkis recipe?  Any different from the Romanian cabbage rolls recently posted by Chelnerul?

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    these tasted just like my polish neighbors back in the 70's. i made the following changes, jasmine for the rice, added a box low sodium chicken stock, basil and cilantro instead of parsley, and more garlic. im going to freeze the next batch for future dinners

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/stuffed-cabbage-rolls-galumpkis-recipe.html

fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The lemon chicken looks great. I too had lots of cabbage rolls as a kid. However...

My Dad's side of the family was all Polish. My Mom was not, but she loved to cook, and she wanted to be liked by her in-laws. So, we ate cabbage probably every other day. She frequently made cabbage rolls, which in my memory were called something like "gawompkies." By the age of 6, I'd eaten enough cabbage that I didn't care to ever eat any again.

I still can't stand the odor of boiled cabbage, but I regret not learning how Mom made her sauerkraut. My wife, who is nothing of a cook, said it was the best she had, and she had eaten plenty when visiting Germany, Russia and Lithuania.  Sigh, a lost recipe.
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Very nice.  Thanks for the post.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Who needs fish when you can do that with cabbage, chicken and pork? Have a small cabbage in the fridge and was wondering what to with it. Thanks!  =D>
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:
    The lemon chicken looks great. I too had lots of cabbage rolls as a kid. However...

My Dad's side of the family was all Polish. My Mom was not, but she loved to cook, and she wanted to be liked by her in-laws. So, we ate cabbage probably every other day. She frequently made cabbage rolls, which in my memory were called something like "gawompkies." By the age of 6, I'd eaten enough cabbage that I didn't care to ever eat any again.

I still can't stand the odor of boiled cabbage, but I regret not learning how Mom made her sauerkraut. My wife, who is nothing of a cook, said it was the best she had, and she had eaten plenty when visiting Germany, Russia and Lithuania.  Sigh, a lost recipe.
    i think thats how we pronounced them as well. the dads cb handle was cabbage head
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    @gdenby

something else i learned about cabbage, the wrinkly stuff seems to be much milder in flavor than the heavier smooth cabbage, grew up with the boiled smooth slimy stuff as well, the wrinkly stuff i used on these had an almost nutty flavor
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Man those are some great looking meals.  My favorite part about indoor recipes is I just print them and hand them to the wife and say "make this". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hold the phone!   That lemon chicken piccata with capers looks awesome.  Is that a linkable recipe anywhere?

I ate a lot of "pigs in the blanket" as well growing up.  Polish grandmother used to make them and my mom did as well.  I even saw a lazy method once where you make it like a lasagna instead of rolling them up.  Ya know...it tasted the same.

You can keep this recipe real simple if you like as it was a recipe when times were tough and people did not have fancy ingredients or a lot of time.   I think my grandmother would just mix up ground beef with minute rice (uncooked) and probably throw in an egg and basic spices (S&P and garlic powder).  Roll them in blanched cabbage leaves and throw them in the pot.  The sauce was extremely basic also...either dump in a large can of tomato juice or a couple cans of tomato sauce.   When it cooks down it all tastes pretty good and I know we'd always add S&P as we ate it. 

So, no doubt that linked recipe kicks ass, but as long as you have ground beef, some kind of rice, cabbage and some kind of tomato liquid, I think you're good.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Hold the phone!   That lemon chicken piccata with capers looks awesome.  Is that a linkable recipe anywhere?

I ate a lot of "pigs in the blanket" as well growing up.  Polish grandmother used to make them and my mom did as well.  I even saw a lazy method once where you make it like a lasagna instead of rolling them up.  Ya know...it tasted the same.

You can keep this recipe real simple if you like as it was a recipe when times were tough and people did not have fancy ingredients or a lot of time.   I think my grandmother would just mix up ground beef with minute rice (uncooked) and probably throw in an egg and basic spices (S&P and garlic powder).  Roll them in blanched cabbage leaves and throw them in the pot.  The sauce was extremely basic also...either dump in a large can of tomato juice or a couple cans of tomato sauce.   When it cooks down it all tastes pretty good and I know we'd always add S&P as we ate it. 

So, no doubt that linked recipe kicks ass, but as long as you have ground beef, some kind of rice, cabbage and some kind of tomato liquid, I think you're good.  ;)
    i backed out some of the lemon on the second try but this was the recipe. also didnt make medalions, i just slit the breasts in half the hard way to thin them out. with the stuffed cabbage, simple is the way, i doubt the polish used more than salt, pepper and garlic for spices

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-chicken-piccata/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-chicken-piccata/
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I want to try these just so I can say galumpkis
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    @gdenby

something else i learned about cabbage, the wrinkly stuff seems to be much milder in flavor than the heavier smooth cabbage, grew up with the boiled smooth slimy stuff as well, the wrinkly stuff i used on these had an almost nutty flavor
    I really like the wrinkly Napa cabbage, aka Chinese cabbage. May have to try cooking some.  I suspect that my aversion to cooked cabbage is not just the slimy quality, but the odor. Seems like cooked brassicas can have a lot of sulfur smell.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

gdenby said:
    ....  I suspect that my aversion to cooked cabbage is not just the slimy quality, but the odor. Seems like cooked brassicas can have a lot of sulfur smell.
    Ahh yes, you should make it just so you can bring it to work the next day and heat it up in the office microwave! 
    =))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Im not sure what a galumpkis is, but it looks like a winner to me =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.