Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer roast and Home made Friendship Bread w/ Home made Apple jelly !!

Options
Ohhh Yeah !!!  Nothing like a Big Green Egg !!!!image

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!!  I'll have two plates of that please.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Looking good Donnie!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Meat and bread. It doesn't get much than that my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Pulled?  Chopped?  Cut of meat?  Gravy?!?  Deets pls!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    HendersonTRKing ....  Here ya go bro !!!

Cut some roast pieces off the egged hind-quarter and put in crock pot....but this is the 8.5 hr egged @ 250* pulled right off the bones.

Donnie

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I keep coming back and looking at this post. It's making me really want some venison myself. Awesome job brother. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I could eat a plate or two of that. Nice job.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Donnie, that looks great! Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen any venison since I was about 10 years old. A VERY LONG time ago.

Not familiar with Friendship Bread. I Googled and it appears to be an Amish thing involving a starter (which I also know nothing about). Would love to try some. Do you have a recipe/link you could share? Or I can just pick one from Mr. Google. :) Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Better watch out posting pictures like that.  You're making me hungry and I know where you live. :\">

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• FarmerTom
    Options
    dldawes1.  Checked the link, but do you have any more detailed info on the prep and amounts?   My son has 2 Does hanging now to butcher and trying for more.  He may want to try this.  Sure looks mighty tasty.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• dldawes1
    Options
    Carolina Q ....I have been trying to get the "starter" recipe/instructions for about a month. Someone gave my wife a starter portion and the recipe/directions for making the bread.  Her directions include saving a starter from the existing starter...but we only this week finally got the directions/recipe for actually making a starter from scratch.

Now I'm confused .....too much starting !!!

As soon as I get it all typed up I will post it...hopefully before the end of this week. I'll let you know. I have a couple more folks here interested as well...hopefully they haven't gave up on me yet !!!!!!

FarmerTom ..you are always welcome brother !!!!  I should be off work this Friday, if you want to try to get together...and I need to go to the butcher.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Carolina Q ....I have been trying to get the "starter" recipe/instructions for about a month. Someone gave my wife a starter portion and the recipe/directions for making the bread.  Her directions include saving a starter from the existing starter...but we only this week finally got the directions/recipe for actually making a starter from scratch.

Now I'm confused .....too much starting !!!

As soon as I get it all typed up I will post it...hopefully before the end of this week. I'll let you know. I have a couple more folks here interested as well...hopefully they haven't gave up on me yet !!!!!!
    Thanks, Donnie. No rush though. I always assumed breads requiring starters were fairly complicated. :)

Btw, I was born not that far away in Ashland. Only lived there for a year though. We used to go back to visit family and in fact, the venison I mentioned seeing once, was in Ashland. Still have a few relatives there and in some in Cincinnati. Been a long time since I've been back though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    Options
    This bread is very simple....promise....I can even do it !!!

I have wanted to do some in clay flower pots on the egg for a few months, that is when SWMBO got busy and found the starter from a lady she works with...but she did not have the directions to make the starter from scratch.

There is a place named Patti's on the Lake, down in Western KY in Land Between the Lakes that has the Flower pot bread...pretty cool and this tastes exactly like it.

Can't wait to egg some !!!

• BigAlDaddy
    Options
    Great looking meal.
    LGBE Marietta, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    A+ ....nice effort and work to scratch all that.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Beeeaaauuuutiful :)

Another vote/request for the bread recipe. It looks delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • peggyc
    peggyc Posts: 54
    Options
    My mom used to bake friendship bread