Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Plan for this weekend

Options
Spaceman
Spaceman Posts: 78
Brisket Plan I ordered a 10-12 pound whole brisket (flat+point). Here is the plan (comments, thoughts, suggestions appreciated) Picking up on Thursday evening and will rub with salt that night and into the fridge (any suggestions on how much salt per pound?) Friday morning I will apply the rub which will consist of the following : paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and cayenne. (Any additions recommended? I'm going with the brown sugar because I think it tends to enhance the bark -- right or wrong?). After rub back in fridge Set up: plate setter legs up; drip pan on casters filled with a good amount of water, vinegar and apple juice. grate rests on top of pan Using cherry wood (not wed to cherry, so thoughts on this will be helpful) Brisket goes on between 6-7pm. Shooting for 220-250 grate temp. Over night. Relying on maverick ( digiq or cyberq for Christmas) Not planning on spraying Hopefully pulling between internal temp 200-203 around noon on Saturday wrapped and into cooler-- slicing around 330-4pm at tailgate Thanks for any and thoughts suggestions. This forum and the people that contribute are awesome Pics will follow
Norwell, MA. LBGE

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Being a nube haven't done a brisket yet, but waiting to see what feedback you get. So much great info here from some outstanding Q'rs.  Planning on trying my first next week.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    He is my thoughts.
    brown sugar is going to burn.
    no water pan is needed.
    I think 7 pm is way to early it will finish in less then 12 hours after it is trimmed it will be more like 10lbs.

just my opinion take it for what it's worth.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Keep it simple, salt and pepper rub, no need to dry marinade with salt the night before. Post oak for smoke. No need for liquids in drip pan. Cook fat side down at 225 grid temp. Figure 1.5 hrs per LB Aaron Franklin has a great series of videos http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Spaceman‌
    Brother we all have different tastes and opinions. That said I would like to say if it were me I would drop the brown sugar from your arsenal. Why? You are shooting for a brisket that you can enjoy from beginning to end. Not a one bite wonder. Also on all ceramic cookers you will find that a water pan and spritzing is more trouble than it is worth except for a few obscure cooks that need no mention at this time. As to your choice of wood. Let me say that as far as taste there are a few better choices for brisket. However if you are going for the ultimate smoke ring and don't intend on cheating, then cherry stands unchallenged in this arena. So to recap up to this point. Drop the brown sugar and the water pan. Also if available use oak for the ultimate taste or use a 50/50 mix of oak & cherry for a little of the best of both worlds. As far as your plan on seasoning and letting it sit over night. That's a personal choice as there is no right or wrong way but it's not necessary I assure you. However to save a lot of trouble and headache you can simply take the cold brisket out of the fridge, cut it open and perform a quick trim and square up, rub with salt and pepper and load the brisket right in the smoker. All the other steps are totally unnecessary my friend. If you want to use garlic and onion powder alone with the salt and pepper, go ahead it won't hurt a thing. The brown sugar, well I wouldn't advise it but that's just my preference. As far as temps. Well that is usually determined by allotted time. That said I have found that when cooked any where between 200-285 degrees on the ceramic cookers that there is virtually no difference in the end product as far as taste. As far as the texture, only the very elite and astute student could pick it apart. I'm not entirely convinced that they really could. So my final thoughts. Cut that bad boy open, do a minor trim, rub it down HEAVY with salt and black pepper, you can throw in a little garlic and onion powder if you like. Load that bad boy into the egg at 250 degrees with a little oak & cherry wood for smoke. Cook until it lets "loose" and then and only then wrap with butcher paper and let it rest until it drops to a perfect 140 degrees internally. Then slice and enjoy some fine brisket my friend. Good luck and I will be standing by for the finale.⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Spaceman‌
    I would like, if I may, to just briefly touch on the great debate of fat cap up versus fat cap down. Before I go any farther, let me say that the following is just my findings and what I have had good luck with time and time again. So take it at face value. More often than not, the fat cap is used as a shield when cooking in the direct path of flue gas or direct or semi direct radiant heat. Nothing more. Example- On a reverse flow vertical cabinet that is bottom fired, the heat and smoke goes up a false wall and enters the cooking chamber from the top and then is forced downward. Hence the term reverse flow. In this type of cooking environment, by placing the fat cap up, you are shielding the meat from the influx of rolling heat or flue gas. Under these conditions there are huge advantages to cooking fat cap up. Also on horizontal units depending on what "split" you have your baffle plate on 60/40 vs 50/50 it is beneficial to cook fat cap up. Direct fired. That's self explanatory and needs no farther clarification. Now to the egg or my old Weber. I prefer fat cap down. Why? Simply to monitor color. Nothing more. It will cook just the same either way on the egg. So for sheer convieance I cook them fat cap down on the ceramic cookers. Just thought I would share my findings my friend. Again, good luck with the cook and I will be standing by for the finale.⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokinBones
    Options
    Don't salt too early as it can draw moisture out of the meat. I use a water pan for most of the cook but pull it for the last 2 hours or so to firm up the bark.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    SGH covered the subject well. I only have 10 months experience....read this with that in mind .

....and we all have our little differences in technique. My crude analysis is that there is not much difference in taste and texture when cooking between 250-300F dome. This is where my XL seems to control the most steadiest at. Cooking by grate temp can be tricky as grate temp can normally increase to meet dome temp during the duration of the low and slow, especially when using a water pan. As the water pan empties, temp will rise, somewhat. Some people use one, some don't...I do, and as SGH said...probably not necessary. 

I do not spray. I do not trrim, I like fat !!  I rub the brisket with mustard for adhesive and then either salt and pepper and garlic powder, or a rub that I want to try. I do this while the fire is starting and I am stabilizing at desired temp. No overnight rub. I used to, but again, my crude analysis tells me it is not necessary JIMO(just in my opinion). I do not use brown sugar on brisket...again JIMO. 

I use a Maverick, as well...never have had a problem. I use Rockwood lump, never a problem. I use hickory or misquite...haven't tried anything else on brisket. My learning tells me brisket absorbs smoke well and can take it ...as opposed to pork loin/chicken, which can get too smoky tasting for me.JIMO.

Shoot for 200 IT. check for "probes like butta". I FTC my briskets for a minimum 45 minutes ( I do not check for IT after FTC....First time I heard of it...I am still learning. I use HDAF when FTC, maybe I should use paper...I am still learning. I am sure if SGH does it...there is a good reason and I could improve by following his advice...@SGH...You de man Brother !!!!

Lastly, I it's my experience that different pieces of meat can have different characteristics concerning time. There is always a stall period during the cook...don't get excited...let it ride through. I have had briskets cook in 1hr per # and some in 1.5 hrs per #, when cooked at the same temp (within 20-30 degrees variance). Again..my experience.

Remember it is very important to slice across the grain on brisket !!!!!!!! I don't think anyone here will disagree !

Just my opinions and what I've experienced. You have to find what's right for you !!

Good luck friend,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Spaceman
    Options
    Picked up the packer. Pictures below. Just under 11.5 pounds. Trimmed off about a half pound (maybe a bit aggressive). The rub will not include any sugar. Salt and pepper, granulated onion and garlic and I might grind up some dried rosemary and throw that in the rub. Thanks for all the replies so far. The people on this forum are aspme in that regard. I'll keep the updates coming tomorrow. imageimageimageimage
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • dstearn
    Options
    I have an 11 pound sitting in the fridge that I will be starting Friday night. S&P and post oak. Just set it and forget it.
  • SGH
    Options
    Standing by for the finale and wishing you good luck.

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks good. I've over salted before, not good. Just go normal with the S&P. Pecan or oak with the cherry would be better. Start probing at 190 to check its jello-ness. You didn't say what grade that is...any idea?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My thoughts after doing many packers and "listening" to friends that quite honestly make stellar briskys. Trim and S&P for rub.I prefer heavy grain kosher salt and coarse grain cracked pepper using equal parts by weight. Egg indirect with pit temp of 235℉ and oak for smoke.

Flats are a whole different story.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Due to excitement and a need to do something. I rubbed down the slab. Picture below. Obviously more than S&P. Paprika, cumin, ground oregano, garlic and onion powder, some other stuff, no sugar. Probably would not had been adventurous this afternoon after a couple of beers. Plan is oak and cherry. Going on tonight at around 7pm. I've had some recent success on the egg and my friends can't wait for this. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement; one and all image
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Looks good-as you are aware, all briskets cook at their own pace.  That said, I recently had a Costco prime packer (trimmed weight around 10 lbs) cook in 9 hours with a calibrated dome temp of around 270+/- 10*F.  Don't know grate temp (only use dome).  You may be finished earlier than planned -but with a good FTC you can go at least 7 hours and still have the cow at around 150*F when ready to slice and eat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaceman
    Options

Lousubcap,  Thanks much.  My preference would be to put the brisket on later, but I'm stuck with an event tonight.  The plan is to get the brisket going at about 7pm after stabilizing the egg at 220-225 grid temp.  I'll be home around midnight and will check and make adjustments as needed.

FYI, this will be served at the BC-Louisville football tailgate.  If you have any friends going to game please send them by tailgate.  They should go to Hillsides tailgate parking parking spots 15-17.  Happy to serve Louisville fans smoked protein and adult beverages.  Ask for Bill.

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Spaceman-Most eggcellent offer-thanks.  (Your last name wouldn't be Lee would it? Curious as Bill Lee the ballplayer was nicknamed Spaceman...)  I don't know of anyone making the trip but will ask around.  Now I have more interest in you nailing this one!  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaceman
    Options

Lousubcap,  last name is not Lee, but my dad brought me to the Seventh game of the 75 World Series and I saw the infamous eephus pitch Lee threw to Perez and the rest was history.  Saw the original Spaceman a couple years ago on the top deck of the Baseball Tavern (Fenway Bar).  He is a great guy very approachable with unbeatable stories.  I believe he lives in Vermont now on his farm. 

Thanks.

Mr. Bill Lee on the off chance you are reading this you are invited as well.

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Status update. Had an event tonight and couldn't stabilize egg so I set it at a low setting and threw the slab o meat on at about 7pm. At 7pm egg was at 137. Just returned, egg was at 167 and IT was 135. Bringing egg up to 220-250 for overnight smoke.
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nice job with the BGE temperature evening ramp up especially w/o a controller.  Trust you are on pace to declare victory in a few hours.  
  • Spaceman
    Options
    I think we are ok. Grid temp was a steady 235 between 11-1. Alarm went off around 4am as grid temp was 214. Re-adjustments and awoke to grid temp 264. Following very slight adjustment grid is about 240. The meat has stalled at 157-162 for several hours. I have five hours to work with. I think I should be ok!!!
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Enjoy the morning brisket smoke aroma.  Sounds like the plan is becoming actual.  Enjoy the eats.
  • Spaceman
    Options
    The aroma is unbeatable. I think I've experienced a double stall. Earlier IT was stuck at 260ish. Now I'm stuck at 172. Going to bump up temps to power through it. 250-300. Still have 3 hours to play with.
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Sounds good-you are at the point in the cook where you can even go higher to punch it home.  And it sounds like you are in the FTC window whenever you finish up.  At the risk of the obvious, you are finished when the thickest part of the flat probes about like butter.  Start checking in the high 180's and who knows, could finish at around 200-203*F.  Enjoy.
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Final Product below imageimageimage The guests loved it! Lessons learned. On the rub -- less ingredients probably better. Next Time just S&P maybe garlic and onion powder. This follows SGH's observation noted in the thread earlier. More fuel. Almost ran out at the end. Started to get crazy temp swings at end. Very hard to keep egg temp up at end. Sure enough when I was done -- there was next to nothing left for fuel. IT is important, but feel is more important. I was trying to bring the thick end up to high 190's minimum, but could only get it to 190. As it turned out the thin part of the flat was a shade dry and the part where the point sits on top of the flat was perfect. SEE PICS. If I went by feel alone, I might have pulled it a little earlier. About an hour before I pulled it, the thin part of the flat was probing like melted butter (no resistance) the thick part like soft butter. I think I might have been better off pulling at this point in time. I believe the probing is a test that you gain more experience with over time and become more comfortable with over time. Most popular sandwich -- two slices of wonder bread, brisket, bread and butter pickle, Spaceman bbq sauce and store bought slaw. Most popular serving style. A slice of brisket naked. Thanks to everybody on the forum for great comments and suggestions!
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking brisky. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Awesome feeling isn't it !!!!  Brisket is probably the most greatest food on the face of the earth....cooked right...on a BGE !!!

Congratulations...they will get even easier.

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'll bet there isn't that much left, nice work.  I envy your guests.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Looks great! any plans for the left overs (if there are any)?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • dstearn
    Options
    Looks great, my flat was also a bit dry in parts. I think I added a little too much rub on my briskey. The quality of the meat also can make a big difference. To maintain the temp of the egg I highly recommend a temp control system that has a fan like the Digi Q. My grid temp was rock solid through the entire cook,
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Spaceman-congrats on the cook.  Guest reaction says it all.  Most eggcellent! I have been off the grid for a while...And no comment on the football game.   :)>-