Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple wood, does the type of apple make a difference?

Options
My buddy is cutting down an apple tree.  I told him I wanted the wood.  When I asked what kind of apple tree it is he said "I don't know, a red one."  Does the type of apple matter?  If it is a crab apple, will it still be good as smoke wood?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You can not tell any difference in the smoke produced by a crab, red or green apple tree. None. Period. It's identical in every aspect. Heat produced, smoke characteristics and flavor profile is the same. If the experts say different then go with their advice. But the smoke will still taste the same. This rookie has burnt tons of it my friend. Literally.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    According to my never been wrong yet smoking chart - Crab apple and apple are very similar. i've found McIntosh and Granny Smith to work the same. You don't have anything to lose. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    very nice!  Considering apple is my favorite wood, I am pretty pumped.  now if he would just take my advice and buy a gas powered saw rather than an electric, we might actually be getting somewhere.  Guess ill be the one cutting it down.
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I love cooking with Apple.  It's my favorite. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    busmania said:
    very nice!  Considering apple is my favorite wood, I am pretty pumped.  now if he would just take my advice and buy a gas powered saw rather than an electric, we might actually be getting somewhere.  Guess ill be the one cutting it down.
    Go to the rental yard and rent a small one, for the day and you'll be done in no time.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    My friend just cut down a huge apple tree yesterday said I could have all I wanted, tomorrow I going to load up. I have plenty oak, maple, & hickory on my property but no apple
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @piney‌
    Nice score my friend!! I would get every piece of it!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    And for smoke wood, the branches are awesome, no saw required. Leave the bark on and use a pair of loppers, a branch up to 2" in diameter lopped into 1 to 2 inch chunks and you are ready to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    logchief said:
    busmania said:
    Go to the rental yard and rent a small one, for the day and you'll be done in no time.
    I have a decent saw.   he is cutting multiple trees on his property down and decided to buy electric.  I have been making fun of him for several days now.  I told him he would be buying a gas saw soon after he relizes his electric wont do the job easily.