Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have you frozen your balls?

Options

Pizza dough balls?

I know a lot of you make your own doughs here and I began to wonder if any have tried to make a large batch and freeze into balls?

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Yes, once, but it had nothing to do with dough...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Freezing is the only option for me, if I leave a dough ball in the fridge it continues to rise. It might take a day or so but it always grows out of whatever container I try to restrain it in. The frozen ones seem to behave better, far less robust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Freezing is the only option for me, if I leave a dough ball in the fridge it continues to rise. It might take a day or so but it always grows out of whatever container I try to restrain it in. The frozen ones seem to behave better, far less robust. 
    So you freeze them into balls and then just thaw in the fridge? Then proof again?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My pizza instructor said it's fine to freeze it for a little while. Just let it rise for a couple hours before you do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I worked at Costco my balls were always frozen. The dough came in frozen and we put them in plastic containers with a little olive oil and let them cold rise overnight.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Off. At the top of Loveland Pass stuck in a blizzard at 2:00am in January 1969.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    All I know is that I am not a fan of blue balls. Wait... what are we talking about again?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Freezing them doesn't kill the yeast it just arrests their voracious appetite for sugar consumption and division. Thawing them resumes the natural order. Like sci-fi space travel. If you have blue balls try masturbation.
    Options
    Freeze them all the time. Take out the night before and allow to thaw in fridge. Take out a few hours before dinner and let rise on the counter or in the oven with the light on. And like @Eggcelsior said put a little olive oil on them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    only in Winterpeg  :D
    canuckland
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I actually prefer them frozen and then thawed.  As @Skiddymarker mentioned they seem to behave better.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @hondabbq - sorry did not see this yesterday, I make a batch of dough in the 6qt KA, knead the hell out of it and then usually divide into 4 parts. One part gets the oil and bowl treatment for that nights pie, the other three get bagged and into the freezer. 
    Overnight thaw in the fridge, then a couple of hours minimum at room temp to rise. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    I saw a bagel recipe that advocates letting the fresh dough 'cool rise' in the fridge 12 to 24 hours, for better texture and to minimise the collapse after the boil.
    canuckland
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    I make and freeze about six 9-oz dough balls at a time.   It's nice because it is easy to do so.  If decide to eat pizza for dinner… take two out of the freezer in the a.m. before work and move it into ref.  Take out from ref and let it sit on counter for an hour before making.

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have 7 dough balls in the fridge right now. With our current pizza consumption rate, no need to freeze. Oh, I did just get a new pizza oven. :D

Seriously though, I have kept dough in the fridge for 2 weeks without a problem. I prefer it after a 2-3 day rest in the fridge. After 7 days, it isn't optimal, but still works. You just have to be more careful about it tearing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker