Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Egg Overnight Low and Slow

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Due to the butts only being on average 8# each, I've enlisted Small to help out 66# total, 1 8# on the small, the other 7 on the XL.

PartyQ is running the XL and the Mav is monitoring the Small. Now to give them a few hours to make sure temps are stable.

Until then, just started a fire in the fire pit and the fridge is well stocked.

imageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    VERY nice. How many are you feeding?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Impressive looking subprimals laying there. Good luck and hope you knock it out of the park.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @Foghorn We don't have an exact count. Guesstimate is 120. Sides are being brought, so hopefully this will reach. I'll probably mix up some slaw tomorrow to go with it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'll be watching this one. An XL and a Small side by side overnight. Nice challenge.
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Should be a winner!! We recently did 2 briskets and four butts and had no problem feeding 100. You should have more than enough meat!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @DMW‌ , impressive.

Will it take longer with the butts stacked so close to each other?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    cazzy said:

Oh my - it had been so long since I watched that video! Classic!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    Its served.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice work.

Did you use the drill attachment to pull all that meat?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The overall time is similar to just 1. I didn't bother rotating the butts at all and the top ones finished about an hour before the bottom ones. This actually worked well, as I was able to FTC the one from the small and the 3 on top, get them all packed, gather other supplies before leaving, etc. And then just before leaving, FTC the remaining 4. When serving I used the first 4 first.

Yes, I used the drill attachment for the first batch of 3 that went in the chaffing table. After that I just pulled 1 butt at a time using my bear paws and filled in. 

I actually didn't even get into the 2nd set of 4. They had only about half the turnout they wanted to be ready for. So, I pulled the final 4 one at a time, packed them in gallon ziplock freezer back, and into an ice water bath. They will freeze it and use it for one of their staff functions in the future.

These big cooks are really fun for me and I keep trying to figure out how I could actually do this for real. The startup costs associated with going legit and charging are a bit challenging though for something that would just be a part time gig.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    DMW said:
    Due to the butts only being on average 8# each, I've enlisted Small to help out 66# total, 1 8# on the small, the other 7 on the XL. PartyQ is running the XL and the Mav is monitoring the Small. Now to give them a few hours to make sure temps are stable. Until then, just started a fire in the fire pit and the fridge is well stocked. imageimageimage
    @DMW how long did the small run for, and how much lump did you load into it??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    The best cook to feed a lot of people cheap and it taste great......good looking cook
  • DMW
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @smokesniffer About 16 hours burn time on the small. Loaded up to almost the top of the firering with Fogo lump and oak chunks. Was still a bit left, so I put the gummed up grid back in and opened all the vents for an hour or so. It couldn't quite reach 400*, but with the lump left I'll bet I could have gone 18. Fogo is great for really long cooks. I did have to sort through the bag for pieces small enough to fit in the small. And then I just took a few big pieces and smacked them against each other to break them up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @DMW wow that is great. I did a 6# and I had to put more lump in after 7 hours. I was using RO for lump. It is the only thing around these parts. Your  cook looked great. Tottaly cool to have both eggs chugging along beside each other. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    Options
    @smokesniffer I get Fogo via Amazon. With Prime shipping is free. Prices do vary quite a bit, so when the price drops I stock up. It is my go-to for long cooks. For everyday egging I use RO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a grand slam to me. Enjoy sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.