Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grocery Store Meat Department Confusion

At Hy-Vee today and noticed what looked like a Packard Brisket. image Picket it up and noticed the point was relatively small. image Other side image According to the label they are very proud of this IBP Choice Brisket........................Flat?????? Looks like a Packard to me! image

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• mcmacmcmac Posts: 493
    Ya... I would have to agree. Way too expensive for a packer. We are still in the mid $3.00 range here for the same piece of meat.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Sam's is at 3.69 for prime packards

NW IA

• NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 15,943
    It may have a little bit of the point. But, it's priced like a flat.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • @NPHuskerFL‌ that's true but it's still ridiculous.

NW IA

• NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 15,943
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ but, the real question is...is this Gulf Coast or Atlantic Coast? =))
    But, yes that is a bit pricy for Choice.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • @Brisket_Fanatic‌ but, the real question is...is this Gulf Coast or Atlantic Coast? =)) But, yes that is a bit pricy for Choice.
    Iowa Coast!  :)>-

NW IA

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 5,113
    edited August 2014
    Those damn Iowans also make you pay .30 cents more a gallon while driving through their state! ;)
  • @WeberWho?‌ Got to make up for the farmers $4+ corn with ethanol gas.

NW IA

• calikingcaliking Posts: 9,293
    Sam's has prime packers now too?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • That's a pretty standard looking packer but that is a pretty non-standard price. I pay that from time to time for the fancy stuff but sub $4 is standard.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • @caliking‌ - Certain Sams do carry them, if you don't see them out front then ask the butcher has they keep them in back as well.

NW IA

• @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ if I was going to pay this price I would be ordering a much better piece.

NW IA

• @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ if I was going to pay this price I would be ordering a much better piece.

it actually looks pretty good me. I look for those flecks in intramuscular fat like this one has. The flat is nice and thick. I have paid that price for similar down here on occasion. I would wince at that price but would pay it if that's all they had. If they put a "premium" sticker on that, it would bring that most places. With the generic "brisket flat" label on there, most would walk right by. Still pricey though.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling

it actually looks pretty good me. I look for those flecks in intramuscular fat like this one has. The flat is nice and thick. I have paid that price for similar down here on occasion. I would wince at that price but would pay it if that's all they had. If they put a "premium" sticker on that, it would bring that most places. With the generic "brisket flat" label on there, most would walk right by. Still pricey though.
    I would agree and Hy-Vee normally never carries brisket period so I'm guessing they had to order in special and then mark it up 30% to try and get rid of it. May check back in few days and see if they start to mark it down to get it out. Otherwise they will probably just grind it up and toss it in with some ground beef.

NW IA

• llrickmanllrickman Posts: 580
    edited August 2014
    Sam's is at 3.69 for prime packards
    Wish i was close to your sams. Sams here in ABQ is 3.89 for choice

Costco on the other hand had crappy looking flats for 6.59lb
    :-& and they were marked whole brisket. I asked the meat guy where are the packers. He kept pointing to these 3 lb flats .

I told him he needed to find a new line of work
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,483
    edited August 2014
    Nm

NW IA

• Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,483
    edited August 2014
    llrickman said:

Sam's is at 3.69 for prime packards

I told him he needed to find a new line of work

That's funny

NW IA

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,511
    I can't seem to buy brisket around here. All our local sam's seems to have are Select. Not even choice.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • I can't seem to buy brisket around here. All our local sam's seems to have are Select. Not even choice.

Interesting, trying asking for a higher grade. Maybe they will order it in.

NW IA

• SGHSGH Posts: 23,272
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    You can get them at Rouses at the corner of Lorain Cowan and Pass Road. They have them everyday all year around. That's where I get mine.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
    SGH said:
    @Thatgrimguy‌ You can get them at Rouses at the corner of Lorain Cowan and Pass Road. They have them everyday all year around. That's where I get mine.
    Nice that's convenient to work too.   I'm going to check out the Meat Locker in Wiggins on your recommendation sometime in the next week or so. Gotta clear some meat out the freezers first. 
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 1,165
    @Brisket_Fanatic
    I know Hy Vee can be a bit proud of their items at times, but that looks like a pretty good brisket.  Kind of wondering if it isn't Amana beef and the little foil sticker on the outside fell off.  It is priced like an Amana product for sure.  Good idea on the waiting a couple of days for a price drop or Manager's Special.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGHSGH Posts: 23,272
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Did you mean the Butcher Block?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
    SGH said:
    @Thatgrimguy‌ Did you mean the Butcher Block?
    That's the one!!  
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • @Brisket_Fanatic
    I know Hy Vee can be a bit proud of their items at times, but that looks like a pretty good brisket.  Kind of wondering if it isn't Amana beef and the little foil sticker on the outside fell off.  It is priced like an Amana product for sure.  Good idea on the waiting a couple of days for a price drop or Manager's Special.

Don't think so as it was stamped IBP Choice!

NW IA

• bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 1,165
    In my best Rosanna Anna Dana voice, "Never mind."
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 9,293

@caliking‌ - Certain Sams do carry them, if you don't see them out front then ask the butcher has they keep them in back as well.

Thanks. Sam's is less than 5mins from my house.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 4,316
    I got a 15.52 lb choice Angus Beef at Sam's Club for $3.68a lb. It was very good. Eating it again tonight for dinner. That one you ha e there has some good marbling for a brisket.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • @Ladeback69‌ I buy this eat SAMs as well. They are normally pretty dang good.

NW IA

• Philly35Philly35 Posts: 719
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ Hy-Vee is pretty pricey around here. As far as the confusion goes, there is a restaurant here in town that sells "St. Louis style ribs" and "Kansas City style ribs". Both are baby backs with different sauces.
    If you want a good quality packer around here, the best place I've found around here is Tiefenthalers in Holstein. CAB packers usually around four bucks a pound.
    NW IOWA