Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Mickey. Turbo Test BB Ribs at 425 degrees.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Going to cook some BB on their side at 425 degrees just to see. I'm turning them on their side in hopes of reducing the reflective heat to the meat side. Going to go with the exposed bone end up. Simple set up. Plate setter, grid and inverted V rack. Plan on spritzing with plain water to help control the color once it sets. Hope it works. @DMW any pointers would be welcome my friend.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Get the egg dialed in where I want it.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    For this high temp test I'm not going to pull the membrane. Hoping that it acts as a shield. We will see.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ribs have been salted and rubbed with a hefty dose of cayenne. Waiting on the egg to settle and lock in.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The egg starting to settle in and omit a faint light blue smoke. She is getting close to ready.image

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH No tips from me, haven't really done that much turbo. Really curious how it will turn out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Would you go exposed bone end up or down? I haven't done this either. Just taking educated guesses at it as I go. I thinking up but I could be backwards.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ribs going on the egg.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    28 minutes in and looking pretty good. Hit with a very light spritz of water.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• ponder
    ponder Posts: 77
    Options
    Refreshing this thread constantly....
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • SGH
    Options
    @ponder‌
    They may turn out a disaster. This is the inaugural run at it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Up next when the ribs are done. I hate this crap but my wife loves it. It should be a pan of meat instead.imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Looking great so far my friend.... How long will you turb o at that temp before you foil them?
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    No foil.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Cooked exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes at 425-450 with no foil. They turned out looking pretty good. Thanks for the kind words my friend. I did have to spritz to maintain the color. I feel they would have darkened to much without the spritz. I tried to stay closer to 425 for the duration but it did creep up a few times. imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• ponder
    Options
    One of the selling points to my wife who bought my egg for me for Father's Day was how easy it would be to do grilled veggies and healthy vegetable dishes..."it's not just for big slabs of meat honey..." Dunno whether she actually bought it or not, but I did get my new Egg :)
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I feel like there is going.to be some chew to those ribs. I've done turbo and the meat taste similar but man were the chewy off the bone.

Let us know.
    Seattle, WA
  • ponder
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @ponder‌ They may turn out a disaster. This is the inaugural run at it.

I've been lurking long enough to have serious doubts you would actually produce a disaster...but this is one of the things I really like and truly appreciate about this board and this community...so much information and even real-time experimentation shared freely. This is my favorite hangout. Those look great...can't wait for the update
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SGH said:
    Up next when the ribs are done. I hate this crap but my wife loves it. It should be a pan of meat instead.

Try shaking them in a bag with a bit of EVOO, balsamic glaze and garlic. When I do them like this I will cook @ 425 indirect on the grid till tender. Usually about 40 mins. The balsamic adds a whole new flavor

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    They look great to me and I'm sure they'll be wonderful as always.
  • SGH
    Options
    @ponder‌
    Thanks for those kind words my friend. And honestly I do bomb from time to time.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ribs are just a shade darker than I would like but still look nice. Next time I will start my spritz a little sooner out the gate. This is the ribs as is. No glaze no finishing sauce no nothing. Just salt, pepper and smoke. imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Just got to taste one. They are par excellent my friend. And as always I thank you for the kind words.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    If you are reading this sir let me say that cooking ribs at 425 degrees gets the SGH seal of approval sir. Give it a try some time my friend. It is excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Looks good! How do they taste?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    Just saw your suggestion. Will have to try it next time. Already getting devoured. Thanks for the input my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @minniemoh‌
    Taste no different. They are excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    No chew to them at all. The taste and texture are outstanding to say the least my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ponder‌
    Thank you sir for all the kind words. Just to clarify the ribs are near perfect. It worked like a charm.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Thank you brother. They turned out excellent. In hind sight the only thing that I would do different is I would start the spritz a little sooner. Short of that I'm well pleased. Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.