Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder stuffed with bacon & sausage

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I decided to try my hand at something I haven't done in quite some time. A stuffed shoulder. Deboned and laid out a 9 pound shoulder then stuffed with bacon, sausage, green and white onion and cheese. Then tied and jet netted. Topped it off with a little salt and cayenne pepper. Going to put it on at 2:00am CST at 200 degrees until tomorrow night. Will post pics when complete. I'm going to go ahead and admit I made a mistake on the tying. I would have corrected it but the shoulder is for me so I'm not concerned with a perfect tie. @DMW I know you see my error but I ask please do not point it out. Let's see who notices it other than you my friend. Wish me luck my friends and thanks for looking.
imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    1 hour in and holding 202 degrees. I was shooting for 200 degrees but I'm not going to fuss over 2 degrees at 3:00am in the morning. The oak wood is smelling great.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Man, that's just beautiful!
    Kemah, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    @jllbms‌
    Thank you my friend. It's been a while since I did one. Hope I can pull it off. Again thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH I've never heard of stuffed shoulder before. I saw you mention it in a prior post and was hoping you would post the cook. As far as the tying, I do not see anything wrong with that, looks good to me. I'm looking forward to the results.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    This is what I love about the Forum..Folks sharing cooks which I would never have thought about. I am at the stage with my cooks that I need to start thinking outside the box..Thanks for the inspiration and look forward to the finnish pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great @SGH

I can see that your mistake was putting the netting on inside-out but, I don't think that that will make much difference in the end result! 
    :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @DMW @johnmitchell‌ @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the final results. Thanks for posting such a unique cook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    Options
    That looks great and something I would never have thought off
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dutch_egg‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    My friend, I would disagree that you made a "mistake" when tying. This is food, not brain surgery...and whatever gets the job done on the way to yummy deliciousness is a-okay in my book. Looking forward to updates on the cook!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Thank you for the very kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Got an update on this cook, @SGH‌?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    ^^^I was wondering the same thing, I suspect @SGH has things stable and has turned in for a nap, or is about to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @nealcr1‌
    It's sitting at a internal of 183 as we speak.
    @DMW‌
    You are correct. I had to sneak a little nap in. Hey I'm old my friend!image

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Oh wow, that look great and I love the stuff you put in it....I really enjoy this forum and all the fantastic cooks and Eggsperts like yourself...Enjoy my friend!!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,565
    Options
    Looks amazing, are you planning to slice or pull it? can't wait to see the inside!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌ Thank you for the kind words my friend. But trust me when I say that I'm not an eggspert. There are others here far more deserving of that title than me. But I truly appreciate my friend.
    @Canugghead‌ I haven't did one of these in many years so to err on the side of safety I will take the internal temp to 205 to ensure a good pull. The stuffing can cause uneven cooking so I will take it a little higher than I take unstuffed shoulders.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I hated to do it but the weather is getting bad so I bumped the temp from 180 on up to 250 to finish. Always something to deal with when you are trying to cook!image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    17 hours and she is done. Was going to cook her for 24 hours but was forced to bump the temp up due to pending weather. Final internal temp was 207 on the Thermapen. When I cut the jet net and butcher string she fell apart on her own. That's usually a good sign. Hope you all enjoy and thanks for looking.
    @DMW I hope that you both enjoy and approve my friend.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I just ate but I would crush that thing- looks amazing @SGH‌. Glad you found your way here as I am truly enjoying your contributions.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    Thank for the kind words and compliment my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    Options
    @SGH, that looks amazing, you're making me hungry! Well done, I will have to try that myself.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    A big O'l hunk of pork heaven. WTG @sgh

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Wow, very impressive, that looks great!
    Durham, NC
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Awesome cook as usual.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Dutch_egg‌ @Mattman3969‌ @jmarbs21‌
    I sincerely thank you for the kind words my friends. Glad that y'all enjoyed my cook.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    As always I thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Only one word comes to mind. WOW!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA