Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst BGE set up?

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
I see all of these posts with fancy wooden, metal, stone, tables in covered porches, or under pergolas, with sinks, lighting, storage bins etc. I must say I am jealous. I started my table 2 years ago and I am still not close to finishing it. If you have a set up you are not proud of like mine, post it here.
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I think it's funny you have an Xl but not even a nest.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    CV that`s a great time, assembling the egg was a very fun time for me. The options for a table are endless.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've twice been to lowes for the materials to build a temporary table but couldn't bring myself to throw away the cash. My HOA is pending approval of my covered deck and the egg will have a built in table. But in the mean time I might just have the redneckest egg out there. :Dimage
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CosmicVoyager
    CosmicVoyager Posts: 81
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ktim,  I purchased this a few weeks ago because we got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up.  We are right in the middle of a move so setting it up isn't going to happen for another week. So I've been staring at this waiting for the day, torture....
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Ktim
    Options
    CV when that day comes it will be great and the days will keep getting better. Is this your first egg?
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options

Ktim, This is my first egg. I know it will be an improvement compared to my CharGriller Duo and will be looking forward to not using as much lump coal.

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Ktim
    Options
    You will love it, start saving your money because you will want another one soon.
  • SpartanPride
    Options
    At least you didn't just buy the nest in your pure excitement to get the Egg home to cook. I'm about 6 months in and realize I need a table. There must be a graveyard for nests somewhere I swear!! Is there an aftermarket I don't know about???

Great post @jhl192‌. I think about this every time I see the great setups! The time is coming to step it up.
  • jhl192
    Options
    I didn't buy the nest or the side tables because I knew I was going to build a table and not need them anymore. Now I rest my hot platesetter on 3 bricks and balance the meat platter on the deck railing...ditch my wife' hanging plants so I could hang my electric starter and ash tool.  It's a hot mess but someday its gonna be nice.  I am spending too much time cooking and not enough time sanding or polyurethaning cypress! 
  • scuba_egg_55
    Options
    Here's what I built with leftover materials & $40. The top is quartz.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    This is what I started with:

I guess it was worth the wait!   :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've twice been to lowes for the materials to build a temporary table but couldn't bring myself to throw away the cash. My HOA is pending approval of my covered deck and the egg will have a built in table. But in the mean time I might just have the redneckest egg out there. :Dimage
    What a beautiful, rather large looking backyard.  Any more pics?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Here's kind of an opposite picture...did the guy buy/build his table and then lose interest?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks cazzy! It's nice seeing others started as I have! As for the yard, it's a work in slooooow progress. Big and square and full of weeds. Funny how life keeps getting in the way-- just found out my long awaited vacation this year will be---my daughters tonsils. [-(
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Thanks cazzy! It's nice seeing others started as I have! As for the yard, it's a work in slooooow progress. Big and square and full of weeds. Funny how life keeps getting in the way-- just found out my long awaited vacation this year will be---my daughters tonsils. [-(

I'd take that bjg square over my yard...too many damn trees.

Damn man. I thought it's a relatively easy procedure these days. How long is the stay and recovery projected to be?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Yeah when we moved in I saw all the possibilities of the yard and house. Now, a year later, I wish I'd bought a house that was project free...Oh well. You said earlier y'all are house hunting?- get what you want, get it project free, even if you have to spend more than what you wanted. We went with a house the was at the bottom of the range and now it's a never ending project.

As for the tonsils,They say one day for the procedure but up to a week for the recovery. I'm wrapped so there's no way I'm not gonna be there the whole week;)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
    NOLA
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Yeah when we moved in I saw all the possibilities of the yard and house. Now, a year later, I wish I'd bought a house that was project free...Oh well. You said earlier y'all are house hunting?- get what you want, get it project free, even if you have to spend more than what you wanted. We went with a house the was at the bottom of the range and now it's a never ending project. 

As for the tonsils,They say one day for the procedure but up to a week for the recovery. I'm wrapped so there's no way I'm not gonna be there the whole week;)
    Yeah man.  We initially were going to go modest...but we decided to go with a new home close to the top of our budget.  It's definitely going to give us a lot more space...we're adding about 1,000 more SQF and I get a media room.   :D  Ultimately, i'm not handy or manly enough to get a fixer upper.   L-)

I hear ya man...two girls and definitely wrapped too.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    See my profile pic.  I've got the mechanic vibe going on.
    XL Owner
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Bought my first large from a retired John Deere employee.  Locking band, black door, felt, table and all $300.

Replaced bands, upgraded to a nest, and salvaged a friend's base warranty base replacement SS draft door.  Looks much better now.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stripedegg
    Options
    jhl192 said:

I see all of these posts with fancy wooden, metal, stone, tables in covered porches, or under pergolas, with sinks, lighting, storage bins etc. I must say I am jealous. I started my table 2 years ago and I am still not close to finishing it. If you have a set up you are not proud of like mine, post it here.

HamptonGrillworx.com
    The Nest Whisperer
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Probably one of the worst set-ups I've seen, so far as BGEs go:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive had a few different setups
    all are fancy
    :D
    my first table

even my old dog was ashamed

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Some of your setups make me nervous.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    How did you decide that spot was where the Egg would go?  Seems like it is in the middle so both sides around it are not that useful.  Mine is pretty embarrassing too.  It is in a nest on the old patio that is so uneven I don't really move the egg because I'm worried I'll catch the edge of stones and topple the egg.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

You don't by chance live in Deodar Plantation do you?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jhl192
    Options
    It was supposed to be temporary until I built my table.  Maybe a week or two....years.  If you think that is bad.  Here is my bass boat!  ............. Only kidding! This is before I added a place for my Yeti cooler!  
  • Jeremiah
    Options

Jeremiah said:

You don't by chance live in Deodar Plantation do you?

Close. Talatha gardens. Why?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You mentioned HOA, and I was recently hired by the HOA of Deodar Plantation to build a website for them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's