Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dook's loss

Options
bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
Given Duke's history of losing in the first round, the chances of that upset were actually amazing Lehigh.  Now on to bourbon, steaks, and waiting for UNC to go one game farther than dook......AGAIN

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DOOKKKKKKKKKK

Today was a good day.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Such an easy team to enjoy seeing get knocked out.

BTW, I am a UM Terps alumni and father of a UVA student :)

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I'm pulling for UVA.  Tony Benett has done a great job!  Thought State had the better team last night but blew it BIG time. 

As for dook.  IF they played Afghanistan, I would be pulling for "hoagie U.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    They are certainly the team people love to hate. The price of success I guess.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Not for me. I went to Maryland as did both my parents and wife. I grew up a Carolina fan because my extended family is from the area and some went. NY/NJ south is hated for many reasons, but winning isn't low on the list. Except for bandwagon fans. That's why I hate the Lakers and Yankees too.

Coach K has a court. Dean has a whole arena. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Not for me. I went to Maryland as did both my parents and wife. I grew up a Carolina fan because my extended family is from the area and some went. NY/NJ south is hated for many reasons, but winning isn't low on the list. Except for bandwagon fans. That's why I hate the Lakers and Yankees too.

Ah yes, Maryland. I'll never forget the miracle minute (Duke-Maryland 2001) :)
  • Eggcelsior
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The next year was even better. That was my freshman year.

Greatest screengrab of all time:

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    LOL - for sure we will miss you guys in the ACC. Damn shame your athletic program can't figure out a way to make money in the conference.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    LOL - for sure we will miss you guys in the ACC. Damn shame your athletic program can't figure out a way to make money in the conference.
    I'm considering not even following them. They have always played little brother to the Tobacco Rd brothers and the greater Carolina triumvirate(sorry Deacons). I blame the ACC trying to become a Football conference when it is always will be about the basketball. There push for football revenues lead to incredible mismanagement at Maryland leaving them with a shell of what once was with 10s of millions in debt. A founding member at that. They might as well have gone to the Big Least.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited March 2014
    Options

While Eggcelsior comes by his hatred honestly, you are largely right.  In 1978 they were the media darlings as a relatively small school with good academics that made to the Final Four and had the most articulate basketball players anyone had ever interviewed. 

In 1992 when they won their 2nd title they were still largely liked. 

Over the next few years the crowd started to turn on Duke.  Many of the Duke fans started to feel entitled to attend the Final Four every year - and they acted like whiney babies when it didn't happen.   It's hard to like a school when that is the face of the institution for much of the world - and you're tired of seeing them so often at the Final Four.

It's probably fair to say that UNC was viewed similarly although to a lesser extent toward the end of Dean Smith's run.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options

He just can't remember where it is....

Just kidding- great coach and man.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I am OU fan.  Obviously nothing to say!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:

While Eggcelsior comes by his hatred honestly, you are largely right.  In 1978 they were the media darlings as a relatively small school with good academics that made to the Final Four and had the most articulate basketball players anyone had ever interviewed. 

In 1992 when they won their 2nd title they were still largely liked. 

Over the next few years the crowd started to turn on Duke.  Many of the Duke fans started to feel entitled to attend the Final Four every year - and they acted like whiney babies when it didn't happen.   It's hard to like a school when that is the face of the institution for much of the world - and you're tired of seeing them so often at the Final Four.

It's probably fair to say that UNC was viewed similarly although to a lesser extent toward the end of Dean Smith's run.

I respect Dook for what they have done. It's a rivalry for me. The biggest reason for hate?

Dook Vitale.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

Dook Vitale.

A few years back I couldn't help but hear the voices of Duke haters in my head every time I see him on TV.  I get it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My Vols won in fashion in overtime. Probably as far as they'll go. Men's bb is an afterthought in Knoxville. I did enjoy OSU getting beat. I pull for Duke just because of coach K.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I still shudder. I live in fear of ESPN national broadcast. That voice will haunt me in hell.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I respect Dook for what they have done. It's a rivalry for me. The biggest reason for hate? Dook Vitale.
    I'm sure you're not alone there. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hey my Vols beat UMass so we play the team that beat Duke.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I just want Andrew Wiggins to do well!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options

I just want Andrew Wiggins to do well!

Lets hope so. Bennett is not fairing too well in Cleveland.