Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Advice

Options
Looking for a little brisket advice... spent a lot of time tonight reading poats from the masters (@cazzy and @The Cen-Tex Smoker) I picked up a 12.68lb prime packer before trimming...Going to salt and pepper the dude and do with a drip pan raised off the plate setter...but no water or broth...and no injecting (did both last time)...plan to start at 225...plan to rest ftc at least an hour but ok with more.

Working backwards from a 6pm dinner time...looking for an ideal start time...

my last one was of similar size I started at 12:30 am...Unfortunately it was done by 9 am and I had to hold it for about 7 hours...the taste was great but it was so moist it fell apart when I tried to slice it.

Any other suggestions are welcome...will take pics the whole way and post the journey. .. thanks in advance.
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I would throw it on at 225 so you can sleep through the night, but crank it up to 250 when you wake up.  12:30am is fine, but sometimes these guys are just crazy as you saw during your last cook.  Some will cook fast, some will cook slow and hit two stalls.  Either way, 225 is safe for an overnight temp.  This is easier to do if you have a temp controller as sometimes 225 fires can die out during overnight cooks.  Make sure clean out the firebox really well, then stack the biggests pieces of lump at the bottom and work your way up.  That will help prevent a late night fire death.  

Lastly, you're using a prime brisket, so it has more intramuscular fat.  That means it might cook a little quicker so just watch it.  Thank you for not injecting...that's a great cut of beef and doesn't need it IMO.

Oh, your last brisket was probably overdone if it fell apart when you sliced it.  What kind of knife did you use?  I have a 12" Victorinox granton edge slicing knife and it worked okay.  My world changed when I switched to a simple and very affordable 12" Dexter Scalloped Slicer.  My slices have never been more uniform and it does a better job sawing through my precious bark.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Thank you sensei... I do have a cyberQ and usually holding temp isn't an issue for me...I will clean out first...I've never stacked before but will do so for this cook...I really want to nail this, as it's a practice round for an eventual family event...

I usually wrap in hdaf...but I saw some pics with butcher paper... is paper better?

Really appreciate your feedback...
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Thank you sensei... I do have a cyberQ and usually holding temp isn't an issue for me...I will clean out first...I've never stacked before but will do so for this cook...I really want to nail this, as it's a practice round for an eventual family event... I usually wrap in hdaf...but I saw some pics with butcher paper... is paper better? Really appreciate your feedback...
    IMO, if you take your time laying your lump, you'll have less problems maintaining temps.  I never dump lump in...it's all by hand.  

HDAF is not good for anything in a brisket cook.  1.  It softens your bark too much.  2.  Your brisket might end up tender, but it kind of jacks up the texture to where it's almost mushy.  With HDAF, you're basically steaming your brisket.  Butcher paper has an advantage over HDAF, mainly because it breathes.  It doesn't really speed up the cooking process too much, but it still helps protect your flat.  It might not be necessary with prime so just watch it and see how it goes.

Anytime!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks...will any kind of paper do...I have seen ones that are all white and just paper on both sides and I've seen others that seem to have a coating (wax like feel) to one side...assuming the coated ones are preferred?

Since I'm going all out on this one...I'm going to put the Samsung away and bust out the good camera to document.

Thanks
  • cazzy
    Options
    Since I'm going all out on this one...I'm going to put the Samsung away and bust out the good camera to document. Thanks

:D:))
  • cazzy
    Options
    Food grade butcher paper...no wax coating.  White or pink doesn't matter..that's just the color.  I heard Sam's Club sells butcher paper, so start there if you have a membership.  If you don't, GoogleFoo my friend.  Don't make me hit you with a lmgtfy link!   :P
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Sams and i are good friends...I'll stop by and see him...thanks.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @cazzy is this what you have? Been looking for a new knife for slicing brisket.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I read @cazzy's post and thought he was referring to a knife like Dexter used to cut up his victims. You're probably closer to the real answer!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Griffin said:
    This is the one I use...looks pretty close.

Looks like the lil bump at the tip of the one you linked is a lot more pronounced...should still work.  If you don't have a Ace Mart near you, Amazon carries the one I have too.  
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Egg cleaned...check
    Lump loaded...check
    Camera batteries,...charged
    Pit controller ready,...will lite the candle at 11:30 and get the Brisky out, and salted and peppered...hoping for a stable egg and good smoke by 12:30am...

Ready or not, here it comes....
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Its on like Donkey Kong...

Trimmed about 2.5 lbs of fat off, so its about an even 10 lbs...
    didnt get it on until about 12:40...took a little longer then estimated to get up to temp, and I didnt like the smoke at 12:30 so gave it another 10 min.

Now the wait...
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Awesome !!
    This is so exciting ! keep us posted
    Toronto
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Can't wait to see the final product! :-w
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm not seeing any pictures.
    NOLA
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    About 8.5 hours in and I'm at 158 in the flat and 176 in the point...I think I can hear the egg purring if that's possible.

@cazzy‌ suggested bumping the temp to 250... doing that now... I haven't opened the dome since I put it on but will get some pre pics on shortly....
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    couple precook pics...
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mike, did you trim the top like that?  If so, it looks like you trimmed a lil too much of the deckle.  
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I did...I may have gotten some bad advice on trimming from a youtube video...

• cazzy
    Options
    What video?  Don't say the BBQ w/ Franklin video.  lol.  

You'll be fine, just don't dig in next time.  It shouldn't look like the flat is laying on top of the point like that.  

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    It wasn't franklin...I still need to watch those...I think it was smokin moe... Honestly, I cant blame the video much...it was probably more my inexperience then it was moe's advice...trimming is an area I struggle with.

• cazzy
    Options
    No reason not to watch it.  Especially the one that covers trimming.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Flat was 198, point about 206 probing all over with very little resistance...maybe a little darker then I expected...but smells and looks great...had a small piece from one edge, taste was pretty good.

Wrapped in butcher paper and towels for now and into the cooler to hold for a couple hours...I have pretty high hopes for this one!

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks great! Next time, wrap it in foil, then towels.  My concern with paper, then towels is that the paper may draw more fluids from your brisket because you wrapped towels around your paper. 

If you plan to FTC anything, make sure it's wrapped in foil, then tossed in towels.  If you have it wrapped in paper from the last stage of a cook, unwrap the paper and wrap it in foil...ie don't wrap foil around a paper wrapped brisket.  I have done this and the paper was stupid wet and my butt was bone dry.  I don't know if the towels will cause the same effect, but it's certainly possible.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    ok, thanks

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Look wonderful! Sam's here I come.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've done paper and towels and foil and towels. I haven't noticed much difference other than nasty towels with the paper.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Options
    I've done paper and towels and foil and towels. I haven't noticed much difference other than nasty towels with the paper.

You've also wrapped with paper, then wrapped foil over it to FTC and had equally bad results.  Sawdust!

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    This looks great !!
    Toronto
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

You've also wrapped with paper, then wrapped foil over it to FTC and had equally bad results.  Sawdust!

yeah- I don't do that anymore. One or the other. Not sure that was the deal but that was a bad brisket. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX