Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much is too much Lump?

Options
I am the first one to speak up when someone ask about a good lump... After trying several brands and finally a couple group buys of rockwood, I feel as though I have it figured out.... Well at least the brand.. Now how much do I stock pile? :D this is my poor little hybrid with 17more bags headed back to the house.. Hehe
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @plumbfir01

I try to buy in the winter when its cheaper. I usually buy a pallet of Kingsford and 2 pallets of Royal Oak lump from walmart but im feeding my egg and 3 large smokers so i try to keep a lot on hand.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Just approach this like industry-figure out your replenish rate and consumption rate and add the safety margin you are good with.  You know the supply chain response time and away you go!  Or just fill til you can't fit any more :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I get worried when I get down to 100lbs. In my world you'd be fine for a while.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    @lousubcab  well i have a conex shipping container so that could take awhile lol 
    Beaufort, SC
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Since I live so close to Firecraft; I usually buy 3 or 4 bags at a time and rebuy when I have one left in the garage.

Since I seldom run above 550, it lasts me a while
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I let home depot keep the royal oak in stock for me. 2 miles from the house.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm sitting on 500 lbs. Hoping to pick up some OO for folks in Salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    How much is the Rockwood?
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    @henapple thats about what i am sitting on now... i have a few bags of natures glo left from a while ago so in total about 25 bags... im comfy it the world ends tomorrow :) i think at least by the time i burn past all 25, i will have figured out how to make my own lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Like too much fun, car too fast, girl too pretty, there is no such thing.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    KingtUT said:
    How much is the Rockwood?
    price depends on location, shipping quanity and etc.. get a group buy going and contact @stlcharcoal
    Beaufort, SC
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I think you need a bigger car to make room for more!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RRP Ron....figured you would chime in on this one and say 3 pallets is perfect ;-).
    Me personally I usually have between 5-10 bags on hand but, I use WG weekend warrior and it is readily available in this area. But, I guess if I was having difficulty finding my brand I might buy a pallet. Have yet to find Rockwood locally.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Me, I'm a lump whore, what ever is offering the best time is what I use. About 300 pounds of five different varieties in the back of my hobby truck in the garage. 
    Last year I took the last eleven 17# bags of RO that CTC had on sale, if they had had more, I was about to ask SWMBO to take the bus home - thought better of that. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I usually keep around 100 pounds on hand but can get any lump mentioned on this forum year around within 10 miles of my house so no need to hoard it.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I buy one bag a week at Costco until about a dozen in stock (17 lbs each). That gives me a good stock for the winter when it's a little difficult to find around here.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I get nervous when we get any less than this:

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options

Is that a weeks supply there?

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2014
    Options
    hapster said:
    Since I live so close to Firecraft; I usually buy 3 or 4 bags at a time and rebuy when I have one left in the garage. Since I seldom run above 550, it lasts me a while
    If I lived that close to Firecraft I would be in trouble. I love their site and would like to visit their store. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • plumbfir01
    edited March 2014
    Options
    stlcharcoal said: I get nervous when we get any less than this:

JACKPOT!!!!! giggity... by my count that is 46 stacks and 2pallets per stack at 30bags each 20lb bags.... 55200lbs of lump..... thats like a week for little steven 
    and his 10 eggs ^:)^

i wish my wife would allow more eggs on the porch.
    Beaufort, SC
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    EggNorth said:

Is that a weeks supply there?

In the summer, yes......lasts a lot longer right now.  In summer there's not enough to take a picture of--as soon as it goes in the bags, it ships!

For anyone trying to count, that's about 2700 bags in that corner of the warehouse.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @lousubcap - that there is some pretty good cypherin!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited March 2014
    Options

JACKPOT!!!!! giggity... by my count that is 46 stacks and 2pallets per stack at 30bags each 20lb bags.... 55200lbs of lump..... thats like a week for little steven and his 10 eggs ^:)^
    \

HA!  Your post had not appeared when I was typing my response--I was going to save you the trouble in counting.  You're right--it's about 2700 of the 20# bags.

I wish the hundreds of them all grouped together.  But the 10# bags are by themselves, then my secret stash is in another corner.  Maybe one day I can get a picture like the ending shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Careful, if you get too much it will go stale before you use it all.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I do not understand the obsession of hoarding lump charcoal. Do you think they are going to stop selling the darn stuff? Sheesh.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I do not understand the obsession of hoarding lump charcoal. Do you think they are going to stop selling the darn stuff? Sheesh.
    It doesn't spoil, it won't get cheaper and I make fewer trips.  Sheeese indeed. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @RRP Ron....figured you would chime in on this one and say 3 pallets is perfect ;-). Me personally I usually have between 5-10 bags on hand but, I use WG weekend warrior and it is readily available in this area. But, I guess if I was having difficulty finding my brand I might buy a pallet. Have yet to find Rockwood locally.
    LOL - actually I am not quite that bad!, but I do admit having just bought 2 more 17.6 # bags Saturday at Home Depot just for the heck of it!  That takes back up to 610 pounds on hand so I guess I can sleep easy tonight!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I get a really quality lump while traveling at about 50% off...I'll keep hoarding.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    No...but I guess there are some factors that don't apply to you and that's fine! 
    You obviously live in a large market where:
    lump is plentiful - And
    available year around - And 
    have enough sources so you can pick this brand or that brand - And 
    have not seen the price increases I have over the last 14 years...

Oh well, I'd rather have a stash of lump on hand here where we are still having power outages and below zero temperatures.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Buy a couple bags at a time usually unless it's a group buy.    When I get low or almost out, just go pick up a couple more bags.  Don't really want to waste any more space storing crap when someone else will do it for me for free.  Sounds like I'm in the minority though. 

:D

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer