Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Side Ribs - No Bones!

I picked up a couple slabs of side ribs today and when I opened up the package, one rack was normal but the other had no bones in half the slab. One half of the 'boneless' slab seems to have some very small bones and the other end has none. Do I cook that the same way? I am planning on 3-2-1 at 275 dome. Will the boneless part be done quicker? Or should I be able to cook them all together for the same amount of time?

I have never seen this before.

Thanks
Jimi1234

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    Sounds like you got a single slab that was cut in half lengthwise. I'd guess one portion is proper spares, and the other is the tips and flap meat. Most likely, the boneless portions will be done much quicker. When I cook flap meat along w. the ribs, I fold it over, and toothpick it together to slow the cooking.
  • That sounds like what might have happened alright. Maybe I'll get the spares on and put the flap on about half way. Should 2 - 2.5 hours be sufficient for the flap meat? Any idea what my target temp would be?
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    The flap meat is a lot like the meat between the ribs, but mostly thinner. So there's a good chance it will burn before becoming as tender. I usually put them all on at the same time, and nibble away the smallest portions as cook's treats. If I want to serve them w. the ribs, I push them way off to the side, over the fire ring, and mop them while the ribs finish when they reach 190F. But more often, I take them off early, and save them for other uses, like thin sliced for a sandwich.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,678
    How will you know when they "fall off the bone"?

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    Foghorn said:
    How will you know when they "fall off the bone"?
    Use the bend test.  Pick-up the slab in the middle.  It will bend very easily and start to break in half very quickly when they are tender. 

If you really want them to literally fall off the bone, using a method that includes foiling them is the easiest way to guarantee it because they essentially steam inside the foil.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    Two hours on the flap is more than enough.  If you trim the fat off them, the rest of the meat is relatively lean.  I cook them less and eat them more as a solid piece of meat with some chew to it.  I sometimes just grill it direct.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,678
    @Ragtop99, thanks.  I was actually just being a smart-aleck... but seriously (meaning I'm not being a smart-aleck) thank you for the thoughtful reply.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Probe the flap meat with a toothpick and once you feel them being tender to the probe....they will be money.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Foghorn said:
    @Ragtop99, thanks.  I was actually just being a smart-aleck... but seriously (meaning I'm not being a smart-aleck) thank you for the thoughtful reply.
    LOL...that sailed right over my head, but now I get it.
  • That meat with no bones is for the cook kind of like burnt ends that is my favorite, my wife can never figure out why I am not hungry when I come in the house.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • I think these BBQ treasures are often called "Cook's treats"....you're right, they don't even need to know. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Thanks everybody. I did the 3-2-1 with the proper rack and did roughly 2-1-0.5 on the flap/skirt. It turned out great.