Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side Ribs - No Bones!

Options
I picked up a couple slabs of side ribs today and when I opened up the package, one rack was normal but the other had no bones in half the slab. One half of the 'boneless' slab seems to have some very small bones and the other end has none. Do I cook that the same way? I am planning on 3-2-1 at 275 dome. Will the boneless part be done quicker? Or should I be able to cook them all together for the same amount of time?

I have never seen this before.

Thanks
Jimi1234

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sounds like you got a single slab that was cut in half lengthwise. I'd guess one portion is proper spares, and the other is the tips and flap meat. Most likely, the boneless portions will be done much quicker. When I cook flap meat along w. the ribs, I fold it over, and toothpick it together to slow the cooking.
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    That sounds like what might have happened alright. Maybe I'll get the spares on and put the flap on about half way. Should 2 - 2.5 hours be sufficient for the flap meat? Any idea what my target temp would be?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The flap meat is a lot like the meat between the ribs, but mostly thinner. So there's a good chance it will burn before becoming as tender. I usually put them all on at the same time, and nibble away the smallest portions as cook's treats. If I want to serve them w. the ribs, I push them way off to the side, over the fire ring, and mop them while the ribs finish when they reach 190F. But more often, I take them off early, and save them for other uses, like thin sliced for a sandwich.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    How will you know when they "fall off the bone"?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    How will you know when they "fall off the bone"?
    Use the bend test.  Pick-up the slab in the middle.  It will bend very easily and start to break in half very quickly when they are tender. 

If you really want them to literally fall off the bone, using a method that includes foiling them is the easiest way to guarantee it because they essentially steam inside the foil.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    Two hours on the flap is more than enough.  If you trim the fat off them, the rest of the meat is relatively lean.  I cook them less and eat them more as a solid piece of meat with some chew to it.  I sometimes just grill it direct.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    @Ragtop99, thanks.  I was actually just being a smart-aleck... but seriously (meaning I'm not being a smart-aleck) thank you for the thoughtful reply.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Probe the flap meat with a toothpick and once you feel them being tender to the probe....they will be money.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ragtop99
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Ragtop99, thanks.  I was actually just being a smart-aleck... but seriously (meaning I'm not being a smart-aleck) thank you for the thoughtful reply.
    LOL...that sailed right over my head, but now I get it.
  • Justacookin
    Options
    That meat with no bones is for the cook kind of like burnt ends that is my favorite, my wife can never figure out why I am not hungry when I come in the house.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I think these BBQ treasures are often called "Cook's treats"....you're right, they don't even need to know. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I did the 3-2-1 with the proper rack and did roughly 2-1-0.5 on the flap/skirt. It turned out great.