Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to do something - But what? I need to loose weight

It's time.  I have been saying it for years but this is getting out of hand.  What is an easy way to get into loosing weight without starving myself or going crazy.  I do not like most veggies and I have a pasta issue (eat too much of it).  Not a huge fan of chicken either and especially plain grilled chicken - bleh.

Would like to cook some meats that can me reheated all week as well. 

Dont say exercise as that is mission impossible (for now).

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Start your day with a green smoothie or lemon water. Eat more frequently, but with less volume. 4-5x a day.  Take a quick walk after a big meal. Start smoking turkeys on the BGE and save the leftovers for lunch.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Smaller portions, leaner meats, fruits, protein shakes/smoothies (my lunch about 4-5 days a week and tides me over well until dinner).  Chicken is great, especially skinless breasts and can be cooked many ways to enhance the flavor even though it's not your favorite.  Stay away from too much starch and snacks, chips, etc., especially between meals.  Also try to eliminate or limit severely eating late at night or within a few hours of going to bed.

And I know you say exercise is not an option, but even a brisk walk 3-4 evenings or mornings a week helps.  It's hard to drop too much without any form of exercise at all.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    You do not need to exercise to lost weight.. although that is the healthiest way in combo with diet.

You can't eat any more pasta. Sorry

If you research Paleo diet and follow it for real. I have seen close friends lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks.  1 fat friend lost 27 pounds in 31 days.

If your interested in a great precurser movie check out "The perfect human diet"

I am in no way affiliated with either.. just a success story that has helped friends and family as well.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223

A couple more for you.

Eat nuts like Almonds, Drink more water, Eat slower, Eat more fish! And lastly stay away from the Pop (Soada) or any sweet tea, juice.....The last one alone allowed me to loose 5lbs without doing any of the other items. 

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Welcome to the 6 axe handles wide club.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    How do you make skinless breasts taste good other than burying them in a sauce (defeating the purpose of eating skinless breasts as a healthy option)?  Adding basil, lemon juice doesn't cut it.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    I tried "NO/Low carb" a few months ago and after 4 days I was going insane and I kept at it for 8 days then I gave up.  Could not deal with the hunger, light headed, and no energy.

I also have to do this on my own as I can not rely or try to pursuade the family at home to do this (been there done that and it does not go over well).

Garnerville, NY
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Calories in must be less than calories out. While it's true that some calories are better or worse than others just start here.

If you're unwilling to eat fruits, vegetables or lean protein and get exercise than it is going to be difficult for you. You will just have to eat much much less of everything. If you want to feel satiated again I would recommend trying all different kinds of vegetables and preparations until you find something you like. This being said don't let anyone tell you that you can never eat "that" again. Whatever "that" is, pasta, beer, soda, whatever. That is a sure way to failure. You just have to know the caloric value of it and fit it into your daily calorie count. I am down over 50 pounds, lighter than when I graduated HS and I have at least 1 beer every night. I am a homebrewer and won't ever give up my beer.

Also as you lose weight your daily calorie burn goes down so you have to progressively eat fewer calories as you lose weight. The only way to change that is to start getting exercise. Start slow, try different things until you find something you like and get moving.

• KennyLee

robnybbq said:
    How do you make skinless breasts taste good other than burying them in a sauce (defeating the purpose of eating skinless breasts as a healthy option)?  Adding basil, lemon juice doesn't cut it.

We cook them any variety of ways with olive oil, sometimes with shallot pepper, sometimes with Dizzy Pig spices, whatever suits you for flavor.  I like to either cut them in half or hammer them out a bit then put them in a large ziplock bag with whatever we're marinating them in overnight.  Always turn out tender and flavorful.  I will normall do a big batch at some point on the weekend and will eat them throughout the week.  Awesome as fajitas.  If looking to lose a few, corn tortillas would be much better than flour with some hot sauce and fat free/light sour cream, etc.   

LBGE

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Myfitnesspal.com, lost 17 lbs so far without much more work than tracking what I eat.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273

I have kept eating the same foods I was eating but I am reducing portion sizes.  I eat minimal amounts of carbs, try to keep meat portions to 4 oz or less and eat lots of veggies, fruits and salads.  Exercise will definitely help, you don't have to do it but even just going for a walk will help to start out, especially if you weren't doing any exercising before.  Also, make sure to eat breakfast, it kickstarts your metabolism for the day.  My breakfast is usually one fried egg or scrambled, 2 slices of bacon and a piece of toast, or a whole wheat english muffin with almond butter, or healthy cereal with fresh fruit. 

This is just my $.02 but I think you will have to start eating more veggies (non starchy veggies) and learn to like them, it is one of the more healthy things you can do for yourself in the long run.  As other mentioned, cut out most drinks other than water. 

I also use the My Fitness Pal app.  I found that it really helped me to find out what I was eating and how much of it by putting it in that app and when I looked at what I was eating I was shocked at how much I actually ate.  Also, cut out snacks, late night eating and make sure that you are trying to measure portions to what an actual serving size is. 

I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months doing that and exercising 3 days a week.  I am 6'3" and am down to 245 now and feel much better.  When I started working out my wife and I would go for about a 2.5 mile walk.  It was easy and only took about 45 mins.  Now I am able to run for a little over half of the time and at a brisk walk the other part. 

Just try to keep motivated and take small steps and make changes slowly. 

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    robnybbq said:

I love to sprinkle spicy stuff on mine. Dizzy Pig rubs, no salt stuff like Mrs. Dash, gives lots of flavor and doesn't add calories.  Great for fish too.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Skinless breasts with flavor? Easy.  Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. 

For me this diet was so easy.  I ate only meat and veggies.  (no potatoes was the only hard part).

I cheated and let myself have cheese.  They say 50% of society isn't genetically prepared for digesting dairy.    I am of the lucky 50%
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Is the exercise a physical or time constraint?  b/c even walking will do a lot of good for your BP, cholesterol etc and help stimulate your metabolism.  

If you are particularly sedentary you need very few carbs and really very few calories.  Another thing to understand here is metabolic resistance: long story short - you will have to eat far less than another person at your goal weight who never weighed as much as you do now.  

Taper the amount of carbs you eat.  Cut it in half to start and go from there.
    If you are hungry, eat more lean protein or beans (beans and legumes are great filler).  
    Don't drink calories.
    No booze till you loose some good weight.
    Do try to at least walk a mile/day... it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes and move up from there as you feel more capable.  
    Eat first thing in the morning and not after 7pm.  If you can make lunch your biggest meal - do it.

• robnybbq
    edited June 2013
    TonyA said:
    Is the exercise a physical or time constraint?  b/c even walking will do a lot of good for your BP, cholesterol etc and help stimulate your metabolism.

Time and energy - I get home late and leave early in the morning - No lunch break. 

If you are particularly sedentary you need very few carbs and really very few calories.  Another thing to understand here is metabolic resistance: long story short - you will have to eat far less than another person at your goal weight who never weighed as much as you do now.  

Taper the amount of carbs you eat.  Cut it in half to start and go from there.
    If you are hungry, eat more lean protein or beans (beans and legumes are great filler).  
    Don't drink calories.

No booze till you loose some good weight. - WHAT??  You know its summer.  I find it a great stress reliever.

Do try to at least walk a mile/day... it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes and move up from there as you feel more capable.  
    Eat first thing in the morning and not after 7pm.  If you can make lunch your biggest meal - do it.

I do not get home until after 7:00 most nights.

Garnerville, NY
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Eating more seafood will help. It is outstanding on the Egg. Not really sacrificing much because it is as good or better tasting than other proteins.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • robnybbq
    I have not got seafood cooked good on the Egg yet - too quick of a cook I guess.  I can cook Salmon on the stove and its the same as the Egg (Probably dont know what I am eating).  And seafood would be me only eating it as at home all the wife would eat is Talapia (bland).

Garnerville, NY
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    get that walk on right when you get home. a great stress reliever as well. then eat and shut it down.

I have to deal with my weight all the time.. but one thing i will never allow for myself is to make excuses .. if i'm fat .. i earned it.

I like my beers as much as the next guy .. but you need to get  this thing started .. try to balance beers for pasta .. 2 days/week only.. 
  • GA_Dawgs
    If you don't get home till after 7 try to eat before 8:30 or 9. If you don't want to eat chicken breast eat thighs or spatchcock a chicken and eat leftovers for lunches. If you don't like seafood or the farm doesn't then don't eat it. Eat what you like but so it in moderation a small portions. As I said that's what I have done and with exercise its working for me. As far as flavoring food, use rubs and marinades they help a lot with things you might consider bland. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet and this does mean making sacrifices and changing your lifestyle. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
  • GA_Dawgs
    edited June 2013
    If you don't get home till after 7 try to eat before 8:30 or 9. If you don't want to eat chicken breast eat thighs or spatchcock a chicken and eat leftovers for lunches. If you don't like seafood or the fam doesn't then don't eat it. Eat what you like but do so it in moderation and small portions. Also drink a big glass of water before you eat as it will help you feel more full. You should feel hungry when it is time to eat and probably will feel hungry eating the correct portion sizes for the first couple weeks since it will take time for your stomach to shrink and get used to proper portion sizes. A good quote I heard is that if you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple then you aren't hungry. If you are truly hungry after that have a healthy snack. As I said that's what I have done and with exercise its working for me. As far as flavoring food, use rubs and marinades they help a lot with things you might consider bland. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet and this does mean making sacrifices and changing your lifestyle. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
  • KennyLee

And I get that time is a factor when working out.  But there still is time if you allow/make time for it.  Even if you can get a walk/workout in 2-3 weekdays, then start your morning out with one on the weekends and you're at five days a week with some form of exercise.  Might be tough in the beginning and should start slow if it's been awhile, but I will tell you it will speed up the process and you will feel better to boot.

One way is to get some home exercise equipment.  We got an elliptical machine about 10 years ago that I keep in our master.  I will spend 30-45 min. 4-5 days a week on it.  It's there, easy to fit in (no driving to a gym, dealing with heat/cold, etc.), and I can watch TV while I'm doing it.   I have a neighbor.....also a beer drinker, BBQ fan like me.......who gets up at 4:30 every weekday and goes to the gym.  I like my way better, but he fits it in with a similar schedule as yours.

LBGE

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Go no/low carb & Paleo...

Get the freshest and most natural ingredients you can, fresh fruits and veggies. Just avoid the crap and processed ****.

Eat all of the fruits and veggies (minus potatoes) you want, plenty of greens and colors. The higher the fiber the better and fiber grams basically cancel out carb grams in fruits and veggies. When possible; get organic or no drugs etc meats. Leaner cuts, but if there is fat, so what. Fat isnt the enemy, carbs are...

Don't get discouraged. Walk when you can, it all adds up. Talk the stairs, park farther away at work and the store. Once you get the ship turned around, the goal should be a nice steady 1-2 pounds a week. If its higher some weeks, great, if not, so what, keep steady and it will come...

It took you a long time to pack it on, it ain't like taking off a coat... And remember to cut yourself some slack as well. Don't go all psycho on the diet, try to maintain an 80/20 approach, is it ideal? probably not, but it is certainly more easy to live with...

Good luck
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    edited June 2013
    Asking people about their diet/weight loss plan is like asking folks to defend their politics or religion. 

@10Driver and @GA_Dawgs have summed it up best. Caloric output - caloric input= weight loss. Pretty simple equation. If output exceeds input, then you lose weight. If input exceeds output, then you don't. Portion control, watching your fat and carbs intake are examples of watching your caloric input, while exercising or increasing your physical activity (especially aerobic activity/exercise) is a way to increase your caloric expenditure. Decreasing your input to the point of losing weight without any exercise is starvation, and doomed to fail, besides being unhealthy for you physiologically. Fad diets have some salient points, but rarely stand the test of time. Moderation is the key. Fiber is your friend.

Some excellent suggestions have already been made. The most important thing is that you remain motivated. The fact that you want to do this, and are publicly asking for ideas is very reassuring. Your health/body/family will thank you later.

Lastly, the MyFitnessPal app is a really good tool to help you on your way. It can be accessed via smartphone or their website and is free. My wife and I have lost 35# and 25# over the course of the past year by measuring our carbs, reducing our fat intake and exercising. It is definitely possible for you to do. Check out the weight loss forum and this thread, which may help you get and stay motivated: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147373/egghead-weightloss-competition-weigh-in-monday/p1

Good luck and good health to you!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Agree with almost everything that's been said on here. My one additional comment would be to say that you might lose some weight without working out, but it will be slower and more challenging than if you can add some exercise. It's been said above, the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. The most efficient way to burn calories is to work your muscles. Building more muscle will inherently increase the number of calories you're burning even during rest. Start small: walk a bit each day, take one flight of stairs when possible. The sooner you can get to the point where you can exercise in the gym a bit the sooner you'll be feeling slimmer and healthier.

Cheers -
    B_B

P.S. - This is partly a rant and partly an exercise in self motivation. At 6'3", 285# I could stand to slim down a bit...  
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    My 2 cents. .. If you aren't ready to weigh/ measure what you eat and track it- either with a program or online app you won't succeed. Nothing ever worked for me if I wasn't committed to tracking and being honest. There are some great programs like myfitnesspal that can help you set calorie goals for realistic weightloss. Good- luck. You know you are worthy of success!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• You're going to need to start liking - or making yourself like - veggies.  That's step one, right there.

The simplest thing I've ever heard, and the one that seems to be right, vis a vis healthy eating, is this:  "Eat good food.  Not too much.  Mostly vegetables."

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Good Luck to you Rob, if you really want to do it, you will find a way. If you can't do it yourself you may need to see a nutritionist and get some help. It sounds like you limit your options based on your likes. You've said that your daughter was having health problems too. If you can't do it for yourself do it for her.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    My biggest problem is probably portion control. I do not have a clue on how to measure food and what the calories are.

If I get a deli sandwich for lunch at work ( company brings it in) I don know how many calories are in a roast beef sandwich on a a roll. Or how many calories are in a chef salad with dressing? Dressing I could guess but don't know the meat/ veggie count.

I have the my fitness pal app but don't have a clue on how to measure what to eat/input into the app.

I got a treadmill in my house that I don't use (can't get to it as too much crap in the room). I have a bench and dumbells(powerblocks) as well that are buried. I have work money over the years on exercise junk that I will use for a few weeks then stop. Usually due to getting aggravated with hunger, no energy or strength.

I am looking for a way to do something but not feel like crap all day. Eating salads or a plain piece of chicken will only last a few days.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    As for veggies. I eat some but them get played out. Do not like earthy tasting ones like green beans, peas, I can tolerate broccoli, carrots, peppers(little) corn, potatoes, spinach (buried in butter).

If I bury them in butter/ sauce hen what's the point?

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    As stated above, consultation with a nutritionist or diabetes educator can really help in terms of figuring out what portion sizes are healthy. A reasonable rule of thumb is that whenever you are eating food that you did not prepare, box half of it for a second meal. Portion sizes at most restaurants and fast food joints are excessive. When you eat at home, sit down with a half-cup measure and dole your food out so you know exactly how much you are eating. Plug it into myfitnesspal and it will help you figure out calories etc. 

Not all sauces are butter-based. You can still have some of those type of things, but limit yourself to how much you consume. Again, moderation is the key. 

And I sincerely don't mean to sound harsh, but if you have a treadmill at home, why can't you move the stuff off of it and use it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.